Storage Auctions

Hows this for irony

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
Hows this for irony
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »
I won a 10 x 10 3/4 full.

It looked descent from the door, a lot of boxes, clothes on hangers, etc. As I started going through the boxes I was finding nothing but garbage, dollar general knick-knacks, and pieces and parts to things not anywhere in the unit, a lot of old stuff from the 80s and 90s. Then I found the business paperwork. It was a THRIFT STORE that went out of business and left all their garbage and unsold inventory (including what they could'nt sell at their blowout yard sale) in the unit and defaulted. How is that for irony!  ::)

The good news or bad news, not sure at this point, is I have about 500 articles of clothing. I typically don't bid on units with a lot of clothing, it was all behind the first couple rows of boxes in the unit (besides the ones hanging on the shelves).

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Hows this for irony
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
I won a 10 x 10 3/4 full.
How is that for irony!  ::)

That's ironic all right. Maybe the only thing more ironic would be getting the leftovers of some buyer like us who finally gives up on the game and just leaves all his auction-acquired leftovers in a locker; or maybe finding a storage locker full of "How to Make Money Buying Storage Auction" books and DVDs !   ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 12:11:52 PM »
Lol - that is funny.  In my last unit I bought the "teacher" unit I found a two boxes full of yard sale items with prices already on them.  I had to laugh at what they wanted for the stuff.  Guess they had a school yard sale and this lady stored all the leftovers.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 02:56:20 PM »
Too ironic.... y'all are too funny.... Hope I don't find one like that.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
Too ironic.... y'all are too funny.... Hope I don't find one like that.

If you do this long enough you WILL get one like that, and maybe more than one. Even a very good examination  of a lkr isn't a guarantee.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
If you do this long enough you WILL get one like that, and maybe more than one. Even a very good examination  of a lkr isn't a guarantee.

I hope my time for the one or many is further down the road... LOL  But could be the next one... Was explaining to my friend (a blonde) what this is about, She said so it's like poker.. Yeah that's it... LOL

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:23:51 PM »
Next it will be someones locker from the forum.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
Next it will be someones locker from the forum.
That's Funny  :D

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 09:06:56 AM »
*UPDATE*

While sorting through all the junk my "spidey senses" told me to research some of the stuff on EBay. Glad I did. So far I found a vintage Hot Wheels car that sells for $10 - $30, two other vintage Hot Wheels in the $5-$10 range, an old block building set sells for $15 - $50, old deck of cards unopened $10-$20. Some kind of industrial sculpture that is being shown at an art gallery, no estimate on value yet.

Apparently the people who ran the thrift store did'nt research anything that came in there store on EBay, Etsy, Bonanza, etc. Me thinks I know part of the reason why they went out of business. They were trying to sell used plastic food containers from Walmart and plastic cups from fast food places for more than they were asking for the vintage Hot Wheels!

The bad news (or good), now I have to go back through 4 garbage cans, and 20 boxes of garbage to make sure I did'nt throw away any good stuff myself.  :P

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
How much did you pay for this lkr?

Did your original "spidey senses" give you no hints? 

Were you bidding on the "possibility" in boxes or did you use your complex algorithm forumula to make the decision to buy it?

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »
How much did you pay for this lkr?

Did your original "spidey senses" give you no hints? 

Were you bidding on the "possibility" in boxes or did you use your complex algorithm forumula to make the decision to buy it?

As you know, there are other ways of getting lockers other then "competative auction". I purchased 4-10 x 10 lockers on the down low for $200, so basically $50 a locker. It turns out now that 2 of the 4 were owned by this thrift store. I think the lockers were slightly staged for my benefit. Nicer stuff showing right up front, but after getting into them a lot of garbage and junk, but as it is turning out some of this better collectible merchandise is actually mixed in with the household garbage, unsold yard sale/thrift store inventory, and leftover junk. Just about every box and tote is a "mixed bag" of stuff so I need to go through the rest of it more slowly.

I have gotten sellable merchandise although no real "home runs" from this contact before, so I thought the price would be worth it.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 02:43:01 PM »

That's funny.... ;D

Cobia to add to the go back through check all the pockets of the clothing... know of several people who would stash money there.

xx
Oh, the irony

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 01:28:28 PM
by rulesforrebels