Storage Auctions

I should have Bid

I should have Bid
« on: September 24, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
You ever went to an auction and you saw "the one" unit that you should had bid on?? Well it happened to me today. I went to an auction about 30 miles west of me and I was looking for a small unit that I could put into my van, so I left my trailer at home. The very first unit they opened up was a 10x20 and it was filled to the top. You ever go to the Internet cafes? This unit had about 50 gaming machines and loads of nice leather chairs. The crowd was smaller than usual but all the regulars were there...which means deep pockets. Long story short the winning bid was $275. I know I should have bid and I kick my self in the ass. I'm not sure how much those machines are worth and if they even work but I'm sure he can get at least $100 for each, do the math $5000 just in machines plus the chairs.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: I should have Bid
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »
I've had many of those.

At the door, during bidding it looks like a lotta work or time you don't have or not sure of what contents go for.
Then later regret once you process it all.

And I always forget that if need be I can just rent a unit for a month.  I'm just focused on what it will take to empty....NOW.

I've turned down many good, cheap units due to large furniture or mattresses.   Stupid.  But I just hate dealing with it all since I don't have a place to bring it.   I have to empty, sort, donate, dump run, all of it, in one night......

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Oh man that makes me a little sick reading it.  Like Alias300 said you could rent the storage for a month and even sold stuff out of it.  30 miles is nothing.

One of my biggest regrets was a small auction and I was just starting.  Locker opened it was full of scaffolding and some stuff nobody could see in the back.  I was inexperienced but still had a feeling this could be worth something.  It went for $80.  Now I would have gone at least $200 maybe even $300 depending on how much was there. 

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
My biggest regret was not bringing enough money with me to a caravan auction. I had bought several units and only had about $800 left. Then, the Holy Grail of units came along. A 10X30 indoor unit that held an entire 4 bedroom house. Really nice stuff. Even had two rifles in the corner. Unit went for $1000.  :-[  Could have made 5K+

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:14:58 PM »
The guy that won the bid told me later that he was shocked I didn't bid, we usually go head to head in a lot of auctions. I told him I was extending the olive branch. I might not ever see a unit like this again but if I do, I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.
You win some, you lose some...

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:47 PM »
I was there as well, but the thought of moving and storing all those machines. They had similar units come up a few months back a little south that went for around $2,000 each unit(3 units in all, if I recall correctly).

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 04:31:19 PM »
I think we all have those kick out self in the butt moments. I had one at the last auction. $250 for a unit I usually pay twice that much for. I really didn't want one that big so I didn't bid. Missed out on some really good stuff.

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:23:23 PM »
It's easy to lose sleep over a unit that you lost or didn't bid on.  Ironically the one I always dream about was from my very 1st auction over two years ago and it went for $900 or so.  It was a 10x20 drive up unit packed floor to ceiling with tool chests, motorcycle gear, high end radio controlled cars, nice furniture, high end electronics, and much more.  It was the end of the train and I didn't bring enough cash.  I was pretty nervous too being my 1st auction and had many doubts about bidding that high.  The guy that bought it is now an acquaintance and he always smiles when he talks about that great unit of old.  It turns out the tenant went to jail and was unable to pay their rent.