Storage Auctions

Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Jackpot ! Jackpot in the Safe ?
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »
Latest on encounter with former locker owner on the "safe locker"...

She was to contact me last Tuesday the 30th of August, 2011 but didn't. I then got a call on Wednesday on my answering machine but she only left her number, no message.

I called her back and left a message on HER machine and asked her at that time to let me know the next time she left me a message what her current intentions were. It's now Friday, Sept 2, 2011 and didn't hear from her Thursday.

These people (old lkr owners) are for the most part (not all) FLAKES and can't keep their lives together. I think JRoss is right when he says I'll hear from her in a couple of weeks and I can just imagine her surprise when LO and BEHOLD the bulk of her goods are GONE !  ;D

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2011, 09:36:09 AM »
Latest on encounter with former locker owner on the "safe locker"...

She was to contact me last Tuesday the 30th of August, 2011 but didn't. I then got a call on Wednesday on my answering machine but she only left her number, no message.

I called her back and left a message on HER machine and asked her at that time to let me know the next time she left me a message what her current intentions were. It's now Friday, Sept 2, 2011 and didn't hear from her Thursday.

These people (old lkr owners) are for the most part (not all) FLAKES and can't keep their lives together. I think JRoss is right when he says I'll hear from her in a couple of weeks and I can just imagine her surprise when LO and BEHOLD the bulk of her goods are GONE !  ;D

If she calls back I'd make it quite clear she's breached your agreement once.  You're not dealing with her any longer.  It is now over and done with.  Then put a call block on the number.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2011, 11:58:59 PM »
Almost 10 pm here on the west coast, Friday, September 2, 2011 and about ready to turn in before getting up at 4:30 to get to my reserved flea space by 5:30 or so. After 6 they can give your space away if you are not there.

I always make up an Excel spreadsheet for each unit I buy and that ties to monthly and yearly figures. I start listing items as I unpack a lkr and if I miss something I add it when I sell it at the flea or online.

My original "estimate" of this safe lkr was that I could make about $1500 profit but I am now thinking double that as I have found more good items (and that is on regular items, not counting the guns or safe),  . I am usually not more than 10% off on these figures having a pretty good idea of values after some years of doing this.

I have sold about $400 worth so far and am therefore about even when considering gas, etc. The next few weeks will be the gravy.

Two nice boxes I found contained 36 Hubley die-cast models which came as kits and required painting and assembly. I've sold 3 so far and in looking at them on eBay, I will pull some for that purpose and sell lesser models at the flea. The three I sold went....2 at $20 each and 1 at $15, so if that rate kept up, these 36 models alone would more than pay for the lkr. Love it.

I'll try to remember the camera and take some pics at flea.

Gotta go...only going to get about 6 hours of sleep tonight !

« Reply #108 on: September 03, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
Nice locker.  It's just giving and giving and giving. 

« Reply #109 on: September 03, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »
Lol - this is one of those lockers that make you forget all about the 20 you bought and had to fight tooth and nail to break-even on.  Sounds like one of the lockers that they would of shown on one of the TV shows.  Gratz again man.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
Nice locker.  It's just giving and giving and giving.  

Well, the "giving" part is coming to an end. I'm within 5 feet of the back wall and am facing a "wall" of big pieces like hutch top (I don't see the bottom though). Aside from those big pieces there are about 5 cardboard boxes, one cheap footlocker (the kind WalMart sells for $20 or less) and one OLD trunk that when viewed from above looks like it's about 2 feet square and dates back to the mother's time period.

The other day I found a box full of "historical" newspapers the mother had saved and some old programs from some concerts (Cher final concert, some ticket stubs from a variety of rock shows, etc). Don't know how much value they have, but it's fun to "work" with those things and one or two might pay off. Those programs like Cher, Celine Dion, etc sell for like $50 at the concerts, so some hard-core fan might want one for $20 or so.

Saturday, Sept 3rd I didn't sell one Hubley model though several guys looked at them seriously but couldn't part with a $15 bill let alone a $20. Typically I don't go down on prices much until the bitter end. I have taken a pair of nice throwing knives to the flea for about 6 months and never came down from $20....finally the right buyer came along and took them away for $18....1/3 more than the $12 I was regularly offered.

Anyway, in unpacking the nicely-packed, bubble-wrapped Hubleys, a fair number started dropping off windshields, headlights, etc as I opened them up, so I am now thinking some groups of 4 might go on eBay in "as is condition" maybe $20 for all 4 as a starting point. Still good money to be made on that group.

« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2011, 10:00:01 AM »
Well, the "giving" part is coming to an end. I'm within 5 feet of the back wall and am facing a "wall" of big pieces like hutch top (I don't see the bottom though). Aside from those big pieces there are about 5 cardboard boxes, one cheap footlocker (the kind WalMart sells for $20 or less) and one OLD trunk that when viewed from above looks like it's about 2 feet square and dates back to the mother's time period.

The other day I found a box full of "historical" newspapers the mother had saved and some old programs from some concerts (Cher final concert, some ticket stubs from a variety of rock shows, etc). Don't know how much value they have, but it's fun to "work" with those things and one or two might pay off. Those programs like Cher, Celine Dion, etc sell for like $50 at the concerts, so some hard-core fan might want one for $20 or so.

Saturday, Sept 3rd I didn't sell one Hubley model though several guys looked at them seriously but couldn't part with a $15 bill let alone a $20. Typically I don't go down on prices much until the bitter end. I have taken a pair of nice throwing knives to the flea for about 6 months and never came down from $20....finally the right buyer came along and took them away for $18....1/3 more than the $12 I was regularly offered.

Anyway, in unpacking the nicely-packed, bubble-wrapped Hubleys, a fair number started dropping off windshields, headlights, etc as I opened them up, so I am now thinking some groups of 4 might go on eBay in "as is condition" maybe $20 for all 4 as a starting point. Still good money to be made on that group.

Good idea on the Hubleys.  As for the rock memorabilia, try going to a fan site and putting it in general discussion or a link to your ebay or whatever auction of the product to stimulate some interest, rather than hoping Billy Bob at the Flea market is a fan. Should generate a bit more interest.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »
Today I sold the little "wild boar" cuff link to one of 4 gold buyers at the flea market I use.

One guy (a friend yet) told me he was paying $27/gram for 14K. Another person (also a friend) was paying $30 a gram. I took the latter and got $84 for 2.8 grams.

I can either count that against the $313 safe repair, or against the lkr price of $350 in general...either way, a nice chunk off the expenses side.

If taken off the cost of lkr, it represents 24% of the cost....gotta love gold for it's value based on size.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 07, 2011, 05:25:38 AM »
Nice locker.  It's just giving and giving and giving.  

Yep, and I thought it had stopped giving, but......

Posting these pics on Wednesday the 7th of September, 2011....the 2nd day of server problems. Hope these pics don't thrown the server off the cliff !

I finally reached the back wall of the "safe lkr" and these pics show some of the doings there. Mostly big stuff, but a few boxes of goodies as well. There are about 20 pics, so I will put 5 or so in each of the next four posts.

If you have any ideas on what some of the big stuff should sell for, please chime in; I don't deal in furniture pieces very much so I welcome any price input.

Overall view above shows the big TV stand (glass and metal); below on the left are "cherrywood" entertainment center
and oak entertainment center with mahogony trunk and old sideboard cabinet on top.

Pic above shows the downward view of a trunk in right rear corner of unit; at this point looks interesting.

The "cherrywood" above is one piece I could use some help on for pricing. I think this is the kind of piece you would get at WalMart, but I didn't see anything like it the other day when I stopped in. The "rack" below the green piece of plastic tape are two wine racks that slide out. Gotta love that Sutter Home !  ;D

The mahogony chest above opens upward on the top showing about a 4" deep, lined storage space. The two doors open outward. Nothing special was in it; thinking maybe $40 or $30 for this ?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 07, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
Here are the next 5.

Before I moved the "antique" sideboard cabinet on top of the hope chest I looked inside the hope chest; it's a Lane.
The sideboard hasn't seen an upright position yet, but I think the top hinges open and you put stuff down inside. It has small 1" wheels for rolling around. Maybe it was for storing linens or something. Trim looks nice.

The oak cabinet above has a broken piece of "frame" at the bottom of the upper display space, but I have it and is a simple fix. Haven't found glass that goes behind that grid. This is an entertainment center. I have bottom door also; needs putting on.

Green trunk held promise; next pic shows contents.

A "LOT" of letters....hopefully something of value in there too; other boxes contained historical newspapers like "Germans Surrender", "Rooseveldt Dead"  (both from the mother's era) and then "Diana Dies" from either the mother in her "golden years" or from the deadbeat daughter who lost the lkr. Papers like that going for about $5 each on eBay. I'll sell at flea for $5 to guys who go to more exclusive fleas that sell antiques...they'll get double or triple that.

This basketweave pattern trunk is pretty nice; thoughts on selling price?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 07, 2011, 06:01:14 AM »
Want some more? You get them anyway !

Picture above and two below are of Gateway sound system to be plugged into a computer. That's a lot of sound.
This dates to 2006 and I found one on Craigslist with asking price of $100; I'd be happy to get that. Woofer weighs a ton.

Pic above shows a Harbor Freight cheapie camera/monitor system. Sells new for $60.

OK, end of these pics. Feel free to jump in with some pricing ideas on furn. Thanks!

« Reply #116 on: September 07, 2011, 06:18:25 AM »
30-40 bucks for the Mahogany Chest?  Seriosly, Movieman?  Put that sucker on a scale and PM me shipping and handling.  Hell, if you're selling it and that big empty footlocker you found for that price, put BOTH on the scale and tell me shipping and handling.
   I love those things.  Both are old, and I realize that I'll be over paying, but those two items are just the 'got a chance, want them' items you stumble upon once in a blue moon.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 07, 2011, 06:31:08 AM »
30-40 bucks for the Mahogany Chest?  Seriosly, Movieman?  Put that sucker on a scale and PM me shipping and handling.  Hell, if you're selling it and that big empty footlocker you found for that price, put BOTH on the scale and tell me shipping and handling.
   I love those things.  Both are old, and I realize that I'll be over paying, but those two items are just the 'got a chance, want them' items you stumble upon once in a blue moon.

Don't tempt me to take you up on THAT offer, but please give me an idea of what you would charge for these at a flea or on Craigslist. They are both nice, but I just don't know if the market is there for them in my area at more than the $30 to $40 I indicated. I would guess the mahogony would have sold for $125 or so (maybe more) at somewhere like Pier One or World Imports; I'll check there for something similar.

« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2011, 06:37:35 AM »
Don't tempt me to take you up on THAT offer, but please give me an idea of what you would charge for these at a flea or on Craigslist. They are both nice, but I just don't know if the market is there for them in my area at more than the $30 to $40 I indicated. I would guess the mahogony would have sold for $125 or so (maybe more) at somewhere like Pier One or World Imports; I'll check there for something similar.

Truthfully, I think you're about right on the prices, Movie.  (I'd get that Beatles album appraised separately.  Then, think about sitting on it until a Beatle dies).
   30-50 sounds reasonable.  And please, break my heart and take me up on my offer.  Those two old trunks just look cool.  The lighter one should bring you the same.
    The other two?  Tell me how much for shipping and handling and what you want for them.  I would seriously make an offer, as they just look cool, and wife would love them. 

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2011, 07:37:28 AM »
About the cherrywood display case,

I have done real well on display cases like that. Typically $100 - $150. If its upscale name brand or large commercial style it goes to $250 - $500. Being in California where things are more expensive and people are use to paying more then where I live, you may be able to squeeze another 10-20% off my numbers.

xx
My 3rd Unit...Jackpot!!

Started by hibid

2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 12:23:36 AM
by hibid
xx
My first unit and I hit the Jackpot!!!!

Started by Taemujin

3 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 05:30:06 PM
by che85mor