Storage Auctions

Living in a storage unit.

Offline Zao24

Living in a storage unit.
« on: May 07, 2012, 12:31:20 AM »
I just bought a unit that was being used as a house.  That's right, 2 people, a husband and wife, were sleeping and fornicating in a 5 x 10 that was also housing all of their belongings.  I heard the story before the bidding so it wasn't a surprise.  I guess the facility got suspicious and caught them going at it one night and so they got the boot.  I can't fathom how two people could live in that tiny space, there was just enough space for a foam mattress and the rest was filled with their belongings and it smelled horrible as well.  I went for it though since it was somewhat cheap and I will make some money but more importantly have an interesting story to tell.

Re: Living in a storage unit.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »
I have bought a few units that someone was sleeping in at some time. I have only done good on one out of a half dozen so I will not bid very high on a locker it looks like is being slept in.

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:18:59 AM »
We were at an extra space about a year ago doing our preview and the manager saw a locker across the hall without a lock.  He walked over to it and opened the door and there was a guy no shirt just boxers on sitting in a lazy boy eating chips and listening to his iPod. 8x10.  Right then and there the manager kicked him out and made him start gathering his stuff in front of 30 bidders.  The guy looked completely broken and I really felt bad for him especially when a couple of people started openly laughing at him. 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Right then and there the manager kicked him out and made him start gathering his stuff

The manager is lucky the guy didn't turn around and sue him for breach of contract, by making him leave a unit he was paying rent on and lawfully occupying.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:34:28 PM »
I'm fairly certain the terms and conditions state you are not allowed to live in the unit. 

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:43 PM »
It use to be that all the large facilities here were 24hr access.
Now there are just a few. Most you have to be out by 9pm.
It was due to so many people living in units. Couldn't prove you were living there with 24hr access.
People, if caught, would say they were getting something or whatever.

Then, the increase level of people making meth late at night might have had something to do with it.  ???

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Why did you throw in the detail of fornication? Grow up.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »

The facts are the facts. Your inability to deal with the adult subject indicates more for your need to "Grow up" than does the original poster.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:16:14 PM »

At the law firm we called that a 'reference of character'

Right or wrong it works. Say they were living in a locker? You could get a "oh poor things" reaction.
Throw in "fornicating" and the general consensus is they are low life's.......

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:45 PM »
The facts are the facts. Your inability to deal with the adult subject indicates more for your need to "Grow up" than does the original poster.

I have plenty of ability to deal with adult subjects, my point is that it wasn't necessary and added no intrinsic value to your post. It only seemed as if you were trying to get a rise out of the crowd (no pun intended).

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 06:04:16 PM »
I disagree.  Points to character.
If said they were living in it and using it for a bible study group would you have a problem with it? Shows character of individuals.

Not that sex in a locker is automatically bad.
Story could have been a newly married couple got caught. Most would just think "oh how embarrassing" but no big deal.

"fornication" was used to set up in our minds the character of the persons involved.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 10:29:02 PM »
The manager is lucky the guy didn't turn around and sue him for breach of contract, by making him leave a unit he was paying rent on and lawfully occupying.

Good luck with that as they were not paying to live there. It's a storage locker.

Offline Zao24

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:02 AM »

Haha, I said that because that is what the manager told me.  Take the stick out of your butt.  It also has nothing to do with moral character since they were married.  I know from past volunteer work that at the homeless shelters the men and women are split up so I don't really blame them.  It's better than doing it outside.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »
my point is that it wasn't necessary and added no intrinsic value to your post.

It wasn't my post. Try to keep up with the rest of us, okay!

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
Good luck with that as they were not paying to live there. It's a storage locker.

He has full legal access to his unit during the business hours of the facility. As long as his rent is paid, the manager has no right to ask him to leave. I know this from my capacity as an electrician.

I've worked at storage units many times. There was this one time when it was obvious that a single man was coming and going routinely. When I jokingly said something along the lines of, what's with this guy does he live he or something? The manger told me yes. Naturally I asked why it was allowed and the manager told me that he has called the police over it. The response from the police was that as long as the facility offered 24 hour access (which it did), then the man had the right to be there 24 hours.

xx
Desperate Living: Life In a Storage Unit

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 10:39:11 PM
by the teacher
xx
Police find 2 children living in NJ storage unit

Started by bmovies

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 08:57:19 PM
by Travis
xx
Went to an auction and there was a man living inside the unit

Started by Agooch1207

11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2014, 04:36:45 AM
by EdwardThirlwall
xx
Does anyone buy storage units here for a living?

Started by Rufus

4 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 12:54:28 PM
by MikeMilez