Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 11.....November, 2011

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Lookey Loos Part 11.....November, 2011
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:47:39 AM »
Sold the microwave cart yesterday for $60 so $15 away from being in the black. With $165.00 inventory.  ;D

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 07:14:16 AM »
The silent auctions here (two that I've been to) will wait until all units are sold and then only give the name of the person who won it. I'm not a big fan of that.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
Hey eveyone, haven't had much time to chime in lately but went to a caravan on Friday and picked up a couple of units. There were 2 caravans going on and I went to the smaller one and was happy to only see about 15 bidders, ones I see often, and good prices. Got one for 65.00 ( queen bedroom suit, leather couch and chair, bunch of boxes I haven't been through), and a 5.00 unit that turned out several kitchen items including a brand new set of springform cake pans my wife grabbed. Sounds like some nice units are turning up out there, congrats to all.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 11:53:29 AM »
Did a saturday auction on the edge of Metro Detroit civilization.  1 unit a 5x8 packed(went because a 8x40 was on the block, but owner redeemed it).  Anyways 6 people, 4 Bidder.  Thought I'd have a decent shot at getting it.  Had a foosball table, a TV(non flatscreen) Leather chair kinda vintage but I'd say not worth more then $100, a power wheel, and a bike showing. Went for $350.  The guy who won it had the I would bid it to $500 or $600 look.  Even at $350 there was little to no money to be made on the locker.  So pissed!

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
Went to a four facility auction today, the last only having one unit to sell, which also happened to be the one I got. Paid $175, the most I ever have for a locker. Boxes stacked high and tight, brought 3 or 4 home to look through.. iffy returns so far, but there is a music keyboard!

It was professionally packed, and local manager said she was a teacher. I seem to remember a post on here about someone as well getting a teachers locker. Anyways, first couple boxes have been cheap ceramics, but there is a set of glass bells that look interesting.

Keep ya posted.

Update: The keyboard works, it is a Concertmate 680, hope to get $40 off craigs. Also found a Lenox Wedding Plate, new in box, should be $60-$75. Its exciting finding stuff like that, I feel some what anxious for having "so much" invested into this locker. But if the first few boxes are like the rest, I should certainly see a nice profit.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 06:40:13 AM »
Hope you do well Fayettenam.  I also purchased a teachers unit last month at a silent auction.  Don't think I'll make money on the unit...way too many boxes of papers and such.  Can't wait till next week and another new set of auctions for me.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 07:21:55 AM »
Hope you do well Fayettenam.  I also purchased a teachers unit last month at a silent auction.  Don't think I'll make money on the unit...way too many boxes of papers and such.  Can't wait till next week and another new set of auctions for me.

My Aunt is a teacher and would not want her locker... LOL but on the flip side she has a ton of craft supplies.

Could  advertise the stuff for Crafts or to teachers as supply. Just a thought.

Heading out tomorrow for new auctions.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »
Got one today...an 8 x 15...paid $400.

Looked OK when I bid, but looking not so good now. Guess I didn't look carefully enough at the quality and overestimated the number of boxes with the small stuff I like.

Hopefully will be a break even or maybe a little profit....working 4 nothin'...and the chicks AREN'T free.  :o

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »
Got one today...an 8 x 15...paid $400.

Looked OK when I bid, but looking not so good now. Guess I didn't look carefully enough at the quality and overestimated the number of boxes with the small stuff I like.

Hopefully will be a break even or maybe a little profit....working 4 nothin'...and the chicks AREN'T free.  The chicks are never free :o
Hope you find something in there to break even.
Changed our plans and heading out on Tuesday hopping for something good for Thanksgiving and not a Turkey.  :D

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »
Attended my first two auctions yesterday and today.

Yesterdays auction was one facility towards the end of a caravan, publicized on auctionzip. 4 units up for bid, maybe 50-60 in attendance, some obvious newbs, hopefully I didn't look as obvious as these folks  ;)

Anyhow, the first three units were ALL EMPTY. Not so much as a piece of trash. Fairly crappy way to start one's auction adventures. The last unit was a 5x10 lightly filled. Old TV, beat-up filing cabinet and your typical rough detritus. This sold for $40.

Today's auction was run by the same auctioneers and mostly the same crowd. Today was also the first day of a multi-day Public Storage caravan that runs through Friday. I was hoping that most people were going to attend the PS auctions, but no luck.

2 units up. first was a closet-sized unit with a couple couch coshins, old HP printer and a 3 or 4 foot tall organizational system thing. The bins were labeled, but couldn't really trust them and could see much of what was in them, but did see that most things were in zip-locks. Wife and I were interested, but wanted it around $25 and it got bid up to $45.

Last unit was a 10x10, mostly empty with fridge, washer or dryer (was covered) a piece of luggage  and a mystery box. Went for $300. Couldn't see enough of the appliances to know if it was worth that much.

So, big crowds, few units and nothing coming home with me, but happy to have those first auctions under my belt.

Got one more on Friday. 11 units in the notice. Hope there's an opportunity for me to get one.

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 04:59:49 AM »
Just went completely through the teacher locker, man am I tired. Its currently 6 AM my time and I've been going since 11 PM. This locker is going to hinge on glass ware. I have a few complete sets of plates, this lady loved fruit designs. Couple of nice coats and suits, a little iffy on what to expect there. Oddly enough for her being a teacher, I only have one tote compiled of teacher stuff, but it is alot of nice borders and supplies, alot of elementary work books that are pretty much brand new.

Unfortunatly there is also alot of cheap spray-painted ceramics. And TONS of trophys/plaques, that I hope to turn in as scrap metal ???.

Anyways, heres a pic of it all.

PS: If anyone needs black jesus merchandise, I could open a store that sells just that. So uh...let me know.  :P

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 07:38:07 AM »
Movieman - since you have had the mitus touch of late Mr. Murphy was bound to show up and screw with ya :)

Matches - don't get discouraged.  If you look in one of the threads on here about how long before some of us purchased a locker you will find many waited 4 or more auctions in.

Fayettenam - that is a ton of smalls.  More then I normally find that are worth a dang.  With Christmas here you may move the angels and such quick.  Take it to the flea or yard sale this weekend and see.  Is what I plan to do.  Have a number of the black jesus, angels, and such.  Sometimes get a few funny looks being a white guy selling what people think of as "black person items" but who cares.  Money is money and it all can sell.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »
Sometimes get a few funny looks being a white guy selling what people think of as "black person items" but who cares.  Money is money and it all can sell.

I certainly agree, I do it all the time. GREEN IS THE ONLY COLOR I CARE ABOUT.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
Well last minute decision to do a run to an area we have not been too. Could not make the first two facilities but hit the last two. about 30 people all more professional compared to Lookey Loos..
5X5 Dryer kids toy 1/2 packed. $250
5X5 roll of bubble wrap, hard hat, vinyl floor backing.  a lot of totes $170
5X10 Furniture, sofa, love seat, mattress, bed frame, dinning room table. Not high end maybe ten boxes
$300.00
5X10 a lot of boxes looked like clothes. 1/2 full clean looking. $170.00.

Better than our immediate area. but still a little High IMO.

On the hunt next week. have to get the final touches for the Flea this weekend.

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
Well last minute decision to do a run to an area we have not been too. Could not make the first two facilities but hit the last two. about 30 people all more professional compared to Lookey Loos..
5X5 Dryer kids toy 1/2 packed. $250
5X5 roll of bubble wrap, hard hat, vinyl floor backing.  a lot of totes $170
5X10 Furniture, sofa, love seat, mattress, bed frame, dinning room table. Not high end maybe ten boxes
$300.00
5X10 a lot of boxes looked like clothes. 1/2 full clean looking. $170.00.

Better than our immediate area. but still a little High IMO.

On the hunt next week. have to get the final touches for the Flea this weekend.

Yea all those seem high imo, good luck to you though

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 10.....October, 2011

Started by MovieMan

47 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 08:17:23 PM