Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 12.....December, 2011

Re: Lookey Loos Part 12.....December, 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2011, 05:05:43 PM »
Sounds like a good day.  Going to try and hit an auction tuesday also but is iffy.

As for totes - you can never have enough.  I never find any "good" totes in units.  I keep getting the beat up totes that are cracked and such on one side.  If you do have a number of them you can sell the totes also at the flea and such.  $5 per tote and they move well in my area.

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:25 PM »
I went to a pod auction today and I hope to go to more of theses. What I liked about this is all the units are stored inside and stacked. So this is more storage for long term and people are not going in and out them. A small crowd no more than 12 bidders. !st unit was the best. Some nice looking furniture sold for $340. 2nd a well stuffed with a little bit of everything went for $360. 3rd had a lot of wicker furniture that looked to be in good shape went for $550 and the last had good looking washer and dryer and other household items went for $625. Over all good units that went for decent prices.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Pods sound good. The only one I have seen is a little bit of a drive for us, but might be worth it.

Went to a new facility today, decided to skip the normal caravan. It was early so we could catch the end of the caravan if need be. 8 Units, about 40 people 6 bidders.

Two 5x5 with file cabinets and office furniture one nice table   $110 for both

2 small 5x5 went between $100-$150

Forgot one washer for $85.  ???

2 small 5x5 empty one with briefcase and the other with book bags went for $200-$250  ???

10x30 average furniture not packed but not bad $350

10x20 packed to the rafters $390  Bought this one.

We saw some familiar faces from our neck of the woods. One of the Whales that no one likes in our normal runs, was there I actually got to see him kid around and have some fun.  
There was no BP or tax.
Most everyone there was very nice.
Ok on to the good stuff.
Our unit had 3 older TV's in it and a box of old shoes that one of the other buyers wanted. He did not bid on it, then approached us and asked to buy the TV's, Box of shoes, and an old washer. I rummaged  around the large tub of shoes (wanted to keep the tub, like Craiglstauction need them). They were name brand but well used, and had women's size 11. One of the TV was a 34" I did not think I could pick it up,(forgot the dolly) the other two were small. So we sold them to the guy. He has a thrift store and buy this point we realized it was not all going to fit in the truck and trailer. Sold them for $80.

We have a truck load of clothes, A trailer full of furniture, We dropped maybe a 1/4 of the furniture at thrift and so far we are at $220 when it sells. The only bad part is we have to go back in the AM to get the rest. Oh after last week with all the sofas and chairs there were none in this locker. Just tables and dressers, Dinning room chairs, and clothes.

So we did not get to the caravan.  ;D

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
Only got to only hit one of the 3 auctions today.  This one is part 2 of a 2 facility sale.  Was a good 30 or so people - and about 6 bidders.  A few new faces, a few missing since last week, and most of the regulars.  Was told there was a good 50+ people at the first location.

10 x 10 - lots of junk furniture but washer/dryer in back.  One of my friends opened up at $20.  Was about to win it when someone opened there mouth about the washer in back.  Made people take a 2nd look and thus it sold for $60.  Friend was pissed.

10 x 10 - had 1/2 dozen or more mic stands, filled to the rafters with speaker boxes.  Not small boxes either - good 3' - 4' tall boxes.  Two trunks in back.  It sold for $75 to one of the newbies.  I liked the unit but wasn't about to kill myself on all that heavy wood that isn't going to sell.  Guy was trying to give them away.  Mics were not in the trunks it seems.

Next unit had a car and motor/transmission in it.  Sold for $550.

10 x 10 (same owner as car) - crap furniture, tool cart, nice looking fridge, a battery jump thing, misc other stuff.  Since I knew the car unit and this was same owner I was open to some gambling on what I couldn't see behind furniture.  I opened at $50 and thought I had it till a newbie jumped in.  Then one of the other regulars.  Got it for $150.  Right after the other new regular wanted to buy the gear box (looks new).  I passed as they would of lowballed me bad.  I have a few friends also in racing and a brother-in-law that works on cars.  So will run it by them and then sale.

Next unit was a 5x10 or such - Leather sofa, lamp, and that about it.  Sold for $80 to newbie

Last 5x5 had a few bags, small vac, few other things.  Had some mystery to it and is a unit I normally like.  Once it passed $150 I just started to walk towards the office.  Went to the newbie that bought all the speaker boxes wife.  I suspect they are not going to last long.

Have a pic of the unit I won can post later if anyone is interested.  Overall not too bad of a day.  They never announced it but they charged sales tax.  So my unit cost me $160.50 which sucked.  Should still make my money back if the fridge works.

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
3 separate auctions today~2 caravans.  It was dumping rain.  Something we're not quite used to here in the desert.  

I hit the single one to start and typical of this auctioneer....heavily advertised with over 100 in attendance.  Stayed for 2 of the 6 units and decided to go elsewhere.

My husband went to a new (to us) caravan auction and bought at the first facility.  He said about 12 in attendance.  All regulars.  Prices right where they should be.

I went with an auction buddy and we did the other caravan.  Crowd was small, maybe about 15 to 20.  Prices stayed lowed, but so did the merchandise quality.  I never bid on a unit.  Considered a couple, but by that time we were 4 stops into our caravan and had picked up some newbies who seemed to think every unit held a treasure.

All in all an enjoyable (and profitable thanks to my husband), yet soggy day.  Heading out tomorrow for day 3......then I really need to start getting ready for the holidays.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:49 AM »
Went to three auctions the other day by same auctioneer.

First one only had 2 lkrs both 10 x 10s.  First one looked pretty good and I thought it would go high...it did...ended at an even $1K.  A lot of big stuff and not that many visible  boxes so I didn't even bid, and wouldn't have paid more than $400 for it. The guy who got it was one I had beat out at $1K about a month ago; THAT lkr came out good netting $900 so far with some goodies still left.

The 2nd at this first facility went for $375...a decent price for this one but I am still pretty well full of stock so let one of the 6 month regulars get it.

Second facility had 7 or so and most were small and not worth bidding on. One 10 x 10 was showing a couple of antiquey things in front of the door (a regular "pedestrian" door). They were tagged with prices from a local antique shop. I think these were "set up" by the property mgr. The rest of the locker was good looking boxes and a year ago this would have gone for around $400 or so. This month it went for ....drum roll.... $1,375. Now here's the kicker !

At the end of the auction a woman approached my friend and I and I forget the question she asked us, but anyway it turns out she was a friend of the woman who owned the $1,375 lkr. She said all the boxes contained was PAPER WORK !.  I can hardly wait to talk to the new owner of that stack of boxes. Obviously there must have been some small antiques in there, but if woman is to be believed, he'll take a huge loss on this one. OH, he was the one who got the good one for $375 at first location.

Another regular got a 5 x 10 for $750..Showed a good flatscreen, but that was the only standout. Looked break-even or less to me. This went to an hispanic couple who are known for high bids...they have been in Mexico for last couple of months, and now they're....baaack!.

Third location had 6 lkrs. First one looked good at $400 with washer dryer, etc and looked clean. Second one was a 10x20 showing an old maple bedroom set and a nice hutch and maybe 100 boxes (I liked that) but I didn't like the fact it sold for an even $1k. That seems to be the going price in my area now for anything of size and quality. They can be break-evens or make $1k in profit, but it's truly a gamble at that price. Having been lucky twice in 8 weeks on such buys, I opted out on this one.

Second and third lkrs here went for $500 and $375 (they were 5 x 10s !)....looked break even to me. Found out from the $500 lady that the golf bag and guitar case were empty. She got a good receiver and a nice small Fender amp though.

Last lkr here was another 10 x 20 and this one showed antique type furn and maybe 50 boxes. It went for a slightly better $700 but it was only about 2/3 full.

So, nothing for me that day, but I was happy to gather the info and pass the time with a friend of many years who also bought nothing. Crowd grew from about 15 at first auction to about 50 at 3rd auction.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 05:24:19 AM »
Well Movieman don't blame you for not pushing the odds.  ;D

Sounds like the same kinda prices around here. Anything with a lot boxes and totes goes for a lot. I am glad we have an outlet that is paying off in the furniture department or we would be sitting idle too.

Went yard selling yesterday and spent $80. Delivered to thrift and came home with more money than we left with. Diversify.

Only a few Auctions next week like one or two with few lockers. Not sure we will make them or not. Still a lot of work on the last one to get finished.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 06:10:28 AM »
One Auction today. Still have to call and see if going on.

Went on the hunt for more. Found one a little bit of a drive but almost 30 units listed, so think we will try that one.  And it is the afternoon so want have to get up early.  ;D It is tomorrow so we will see.

Slim pickings down here. A few after the first of January.

Keep you posted.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
I think most of the auctions have dried up in my area.  Or at least till after the new year.  Have 1 on the 28th that I'm not going to bother to hit as only 3 units listed and I suspect they will be down to 1 or cancel by then.

U-haul is on Jan 6, and think another location on the 13th.  Will have to pull up my notes.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:41 AM »
Auction down to 1 unit. Brother and daughter of unit showed up and only one person bid them up to $500.

Husband said he could not bid them up. Once he realized they were there to buy it he stopped at $200. Said if they were putting on a show they should have been in show business.

there is one today in another county. 27 units. then nothing until next week slim pickings.  and a few after the first of the year. So hard decision.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 03:34:02 AM »
Well went to the one in the other county. Saw our whale there.. He has the personalty of a toad.

First Auction listed 10 units down to 3 by auction time. 30 people. This is a Public Storage Facility guess the District or Regional manager has to do the auctions. And this one hates this part of his job. He grumbled when he say how many people were there.. LOL You do best when you don't ask him any questions.

first stop.
5x10 packed $175
5x10 1/4 full Clean some totes $ 250
5x10 mattress furniture looked bad $175

Stop #2
10 X 20 1/2 full looked like a lot of broken stuff. $ 650
10 x 20 Stacked all in the front, did not look full in the back so so furniture. $1000
Newer corvette. $1500. Hood was up everything there (husband said cheapest model made)
Bid was up to $500 then the manager said everyone could go inside then the bid went up.
There was a guy there acted like a nob in the middle of the bidding as other people were leaving said how many at the next one and how to get there, the Auctioneer/ Dist manager told him was going to have to leave he was annoying. LOL

Last stop  the crowd grew to about 45
20 x 20 upstairs climate controlled packed full upper end furniture. Real nice. $900
5x10 neatly packed mainly boxes. $400. Boxes used were produce boxes, the ones with large wholes in the bottom. Sorry IMO if you can't go to the liquor store and get some good sturdy boxes how valuable are your things. Maybe being snobby but they just turn me off because they are usually dirty inside.

We did not purchase one still have plenty of inventory. We did get our Christmas shopping done why we out.
Have two Auctions next week and two the following week so pretty dry down here.

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »
The brother and daughter wouldn't of been allowed to bid on the unit at most of the places around here.  Think that is to discourage people from going default and then trying to buy back the unit for $200 on say a $1000 bill.  It also discourages other bidders and people really don't want to deal with the drama.

The prices from your caravan seem to be a little wild.  Maybe due to the crowds?  First stop prices sounded ok (other then $250 for 1/4 filled room of totes).  Stop 2 sounded bad, and 3 ok.  But I'm with you on $400 for a 5x10 of produce boxes.  If it were professional boxes or such I could maybe see the risk.  Doubt I'd of gone that high however. 

For me if it's all boxes / totes that I can't really see anything my max is $200.  I've lost a few units due to that max.....but then found out later I was glad I did.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2011, 07:32:50 AM »
The brother and daughter wouldn't of been allowed to bid on the unit at most of the places around here.  Think that is to discourage people from going default and then trying to buy back the unit for $200 on say a $1000 bill.  It also discourages other bidders and people really don't want to deal with the drama.

Most of our notices will specify if owner has a right to bid. Husband could not figure out if he passed or was incarcerated. Most people are like why didn't they just pay the bill. Then they can't touch it not theirs. Buying at auction only way to have rights to empty it. Husband said it was drama packed. First for us.

What we have been seeing is the treasure hunters with a car buying small lockers for a lot of money.  So far every where we go. Worse in our immediate town. When we see a small locker we look but really don't plan on bidding, always too much money.  But we are doing well with the furniture units.

The $900 locker was good a lot of work to unload. Small hall way and elevator, and a specific request for personal items returned / religious stuff. So probably there whole life in there. Sure he will do well on it.

It would have gone for more in our town.

we are down until next week. Time to catch up with all the loose ends on last two lockers. And celebrate Christmas.  ;D

« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
Auctions in my area have pretty much ground to a halt, or I've just not found them.  Have one on the 28th that I'll prob not attend as only 3 units.  So I'm working to clean out my sheds of stuff I've not sold to take to goodwill.  Figure can use the tax write-off more then keep messing with cloths and furniture this winter.  Going to also re-organize and put shelves and stuff up in sheds.

2012 will be an interesting year to start.  Wife may leave her job on Feb 1 which will put us in tight constraints for money.  So my mad money may be going to pay bills instead of buying lockers.  Figure I'll just have to be even choosier then normal.  Already told her I don't want to give up buying lockers.  Father may jump in also to stay busy like most of the other regulars in our area.

U-haul is on the 6th so that will be the first units of the new year.  Didn't buy last time we were at U-haul since truck was being repaired.  Will see if we have as many new people as did last time.

If don't get back on in next few days -- Ya'll have a very Merry Christmas.  Stay safe.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
My report from the week before Christmas.

3 auctions:

First auction small independent 5 units, nothing good, everything went for $100 or less but still overpriced for what was showing.
Second auction large caravan, larger than normal crowd, prices above average for the most part, no good buys.
Third auction large caravan, rediculous crowd (Christmas break), prices through the roof!! WHAT RECESSION?!!

Managed to win one unit 5 x 15 for $210. same unit would have gone for $80-$100 six months ago, probably $40-$50 preTV shows.

It's not getting any better in my area, there are ebbs and flows, but the overall trend line is still going up as for as bidding prices.

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 10.....October, 2011

Started by MovieMan

47 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 08:17:23 PM
by Liandra