Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 7.....July, 2011

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Lookey Loos Part 7.....July, 2011
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 02:26:03 PM »
Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Went to two auctions by the same auctioneer. First one had 16 bidders and 3 lkrs. Didn't bid on one of them, but several people did including the 6 regulars who were part of the 16 bidders.

One relative newbie got all three 10 x 10s which were down hallways, pedestrian size doors (not 10 x 10 doors).
Prices: $275, $400, $675; so the guy spent $1350 for 3 lkrs. Some potential for breaking even....in my opinion.

Anyway, that kept him away from the 2nd auction (either out of money or space and time) where there were 2 lkrs.
First went for $90 to a newbie; 2nd went for $240 to regulars....3 feet high of tumbled down stuff with a couple of good items showing; he'll make a little on it ..... after the dump run(s).

So, not a great day, but more auctions coming the next couple of days.

Talked to the auctioneer (best/most honest of the 4 major auctioneers) who indicated that in the 150 mile radius he covered, he was seeing FEWER lkrs up for sale and crowds moderating.

It turns out that even though the crowds are going down a bit (in some areas) there are fewer units BECAUSE THE TV SHOWS are making it apparent to lkr owners that THEIR STUFF WILL BE SOLD if they don't pay up.

So...according to this auctioneer (with whom I agree)....it's a double whammy from the tv shows.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 08:47:50 PM »
Went to a facility that has an auction about once every three months today.  It was AWESOME!  10 people show up for 13 lockers, and a some of them were together, so basically only 8 bidders! I got two units for just over 100 bucks!  One had a matching washer and dryer, so I don't think I'll have any problem getting my money back plus some!  I hope this is a sign of things to come!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »
Went to a facility that has an auction about once every three months today.  It was AWESOME!  10 people show up for 13 lockers, and a some of them were together, so basically only 8 bidders! I got two units for just over 100 bucks!  One had a matching washer and dryer, so I don't think I'll have any problem getting my money back plus some!  I hope this is a sign of things to come!

If only it WAS a sign of things to come !    With the two TV shows starting new seasons on July 19 and July 20, 2011 yet another swarm of newbies will be coming out of the woodwork.  :(

Meanwhile, congratulations on the bargain lkrs you got....we'll take the good luck anytime we can find it. !  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
Went to an auction today where they pull out items piece by piece. Made a couple of buys that should come out OK.

A 2nd auction had about 70 people with 10 or so being regulars. Two of the 16 lkrs were going to start at a minimum of $500 each. The first one went for $750 I think; the second went for $1450. The 2nd had a couple of good things showing and depending on the boxes there might be some profit. I stopped at $1k on the 2nd one.

More auctions next week ! (there almost always are!)

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
@ MovieMan In your experience, do you see more auctions toward the end of the month, or at the beginning?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 09:04:03 PM »
@ MovieMan In your experience, do you see more auctions toward the end of the month, or at the beginning?

It seems to be pretty well distributed through the month. Most of the auctions I go to are part of cycles run by 4 auctioneers. They don't co-ordinate of course, but it seems they are most often during different weeks, thus filling up the month.

It is nice when once in a while two or three of them fall on the same 1 or two days though...this splits the crowd sometimes 3 ways reducing the competition at any given auction..the trick is to pick the right one to go to.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
Monday, July 18, 2011

Went to one today with about 50 people and only 6 of them were regulars. A lot of fresh faces (and some of them not so fresh !)

Seven lkrs at stake. The first one is shown in picture below. It had a safe inside and sold for $650. The safe (with its unknown contents was the best thing in the lkr.

The other 6 lkrs weren't great. Only one of them had real promise; it was a 10 x 20 and went for $700. Probably some  profit there. Could see a frig AND an upright freezer. Lot of boxes.

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 09:37:51 PM »
I think the pattern for the rest of the year is going to go like this:

Auctioneer: "We are going to start the bidding on this nice POS, stinky, bed bug filled 5x5 locker at $25..."

Newbie Bidder: (jumping the bid a bit) "$500!!"

Auctioneer: "???"

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 08:48:26 PM »
  Hit an auction Mon. july 18th on the Mass./Nh. border to see if the crowds are still coming out .
Yup , 35 or so bidders with only 5 or 6 real bidders there . One couple even brought there kids a guess at 8 and 10 plus Gram and Gramps pushing the baby , and they ALL had to file by the doors and look in .  ::)
  Started out with 16 lockers , two from a contractor 1 locker filled with junk and used boards and an outside parking space with a ladder and a bunch of long old boards .( No takers )
 Also another owner with three lockers ,one filled solid with used peg boards , one with short 1 X 6 boards and one solid with 2 X 4 framed walls for the particle board ( no Takers )
  One 5 X 10 that when the door was opened  ,  cases of chrome plumbing fittings for sinks tumbled out , (went for $ 240 )and the door was wedged at 1 1/2 ft.
 Others went for $ 400 to $ 800 ( one had two dome tents and boxes )
Best one with Arcade game and packed with neat boxes started at $ 500 and shot up to $ 2000.
 I will see him Sun. and see what he got in His 4 lockers .
 I did talk with the Auctioneer  and His show  with Alan and Ton in East Boston is airing tonight .
Only comment made by someone that was there , was that when the camera wasn't on Him , Ton was a chimney .
Bob

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »
Went to an auction today and crowd wasn't bad....I think I counted  28. They had 10 lkrs and most weren't too much to look at.

I got a 10 x 15 at what I thought was an OK price, but a little less would have been better! Just starting to get into it and if anything outstanding I'll report back.

Highlight of the day can be found at the link below and deals with an explosive device !

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=1414.0

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Went to a facility today that had I believe 13 up for auction. Last month there was around 50 people, today between 90 and 100. All together I only saw about 6 or 7 different bidders. A lot of new faces. Lots of children as well, which no offense to anybody that has kids, do you really have to let your kids see the unit? come on

anyways, prices were a little steep. but not out of this world. A few went for pretty decent prices. I snagged one for $150 which im happy with. A tote mostly full of costume jewelry, a lot of boyds bear stuff, some nice kitchen stuff (pyrex, fireking). nothing great but I'm happy with it.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 06:36:55 PM »
Went to one today small town but there were over 75 people there 9 lkr's the storage facility had balloons free botteled water on ice with the storage Co. name on the label,  and soda's even hotdogs I kept looking for the radio station or a clown to come around the corner handing out cotton candy. lined up to sighn in and here come a guy with a basket handing out candy, pens and business cards.  the prices matched the crowd High. seen some cheap plastic handeled silverware in a box with two used matress's go for $75 with no hidden suprise's unless someone stuffed a matress with money. I went there and I saw the WOW factor therefore I will not return to that place for atleast 6 months. 6 bidders in the crowd. if I hadnt driven 80 miles id of got in my truck and left first sight of the circus.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 10:10:02 PM »
Went to one today small town but there were over 75 people there 9 lkr's the storage facility had balloons free botteled water on ice with the storage Co. name on the label,  and soda's even hotdogs I kept looking for the radio station or a clown to come around the corner handing out cotton candy. lined up to sighn in and here come a guy with a basket handing out candy, pens and business cards.  the prices matched the crowd High. seen some cheap plastic handeled silverware in a box with two used matress's go for $75 with no hidden suprise's unless someone stuffed a matress with money. I went there and I saw the WOW factor therefore I will not return to that place for atleast 6 months. 6 bidders in the crowd. if I hadnt driven 80 miles id of got in my truck and left first sight of the circus.

This whole post made me laugh. Witnessed my first unit go for over a grand today. 4 units, 30 people. 2 went high, 2 went about right. The auctioneer at this one annoys me...only accepts $25 increments. I want to nickle and dime you to death!

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2011, 10:39:34 AM »
Here's a link to a Sacramento, CA (area) new "buyer"s  experience with crowd and prices info. The auctions took place Wednesday, July 27, 2011.

http://storageauctionforums.com/index.php?topic=1459.msg7112#msg7112

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »
Went to two auctions today both by the same auctioneer.

First facility had 8 units and nothing memorable until the end. I didn't even bid on a lkr.

The last unit was 10 x 20 with big stuff (including 3 mattresses, one of which was RATTY, an entertainment center (cheap) and a roll-around toolbox. Toolbox was in good red, shape but couldn't see any name on the front. I think all Craftsmen have name on front and certainly Snap-On would.

Couldn't see much else as big items covered view of the rear. There were some drum stands, pedals etc but they looked in bad shape.

Starts at $100 or so, goes to $300 when a regular offered $1,000 and half the crowd starts to walk away..most were newbies. Goes on up from there and when the auctioneer asked the $1K bidder if he wanted to go $1,200 (after a 1,100 bid was made) he basically laughed and said, "I don't want it." AND HE NEVER DID WANT IT !

So, it goes on up with a couple of regulars taking the semi-newbie for a ride to.....$1,750 where it ended with him getting it. Oh well...doubt it will break even at that.

I also asked the property manager what was owed on the lkr and it was.... $1700, so the mgrs were happy campers along with the auctioneer.

2nd auction had 7 I think it was. Didn't bid on a one. Most went in the $200 range.

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 4....April, 2011

Started by MovieMan

42 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 05:30:55 PM
by MovieMan