Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 9.....September, 2011

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lookey Loos Part 9.....September, 2011
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 01:44:18 PM »
I'm diggin the fat chick with the printed blouse and flip flops.  Must be a die-hard auction goer.
I have seen units go for $1 by every auctioneer down here.  They just want to get the units cleaned out.  I would be pissed as well and would press the issue just to get him going.  Ask for his license number and what not.  May not do much, but if he thinks somebody may make some phone calls about it, he may change his mind next time.

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2011, 04:21:15 PM »
Yea after talking to an auctioneer friend of mine, he said the same thing about asking for his number. Anyways the 2nd auction had 7 units up, about 15 bidders. 5 were empty except for a few things, 2 were slam full "Mobile Attics" that went for 650+. Grabbed myself a cheap $20 empty room.

Found a portable DVD player that works, to my surpise. Hoping thats a good sign for the TVs. Couple unopened things from walmart I took back for store credit.

Update: Got both TVs home, neither worked. I'll have fun destroying them cause what a pain in the ass moving the big one. 10 bucks for the headboard, 50 for the player so I'll make money, but at what cost?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 08:06:10 AM »

Update: Got both TVs home, neither worked. I'll have fun destroying them cause what a pain in the ass moving the big one.

In my area we have recycle places which PAY US for bringing in old tvs, computers, monitors. They pay 6 cents a pound. A 20 to 30 pound monitor brings in a few bucks. A big screen tv is also paid for by the pound despite the fact that most of it is particle board frame.

That's what I do with electronics like that. Busting them up for copper or "gold" is not for me.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
Had two large caravan runs on the same day last week. The regulars were going back and forth between the two trying to find a good deal. The one caravan averaged about 40-60 people per location. The other averaged about 70-100 people per location.

I got run up by newbies on 3 of the 4 units I won. Basically had to pay retail price. I can't say for sure if these units will be profitable. I am stuffed full of inventory now so that is a good thing.

The newbies that run me up looked to be first or second timers, I did not recognize them. I am pretty good with remembering faces, and I would have to say over the last 6 months the newbies who spent a lot of money on units 90% of them have not returned after that one big purchase.

The cycle continues, it looks to be for every newbie that gets burned and leaves, another one fills his place!

I can only think of 2 newbies who have showed up in the last 6 months in my area who have stuck it out and have become prolific winners of units. Thats 2 out of hundreds who have come out, so that shows you how difficult this business is.

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:05 AM »
man I wish there was someone around here that would pay me to dump TVs/Monitors.  Heck, even if they took them for free I'd be happy.  You live in a prime spot movieman.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »
man I wish there was someone around here that would pay me to dump TVs/Monitors.  Heck, even if they took them for free I'd be happy.  You live in a prime spot movieman.

Re recycle: Of late they upgraded the number you can bring in; I think you can recyle 5 tvs every 3 months now...that's an increase from before (don't remember just how many).

Re "prime spot"....we also have one of the highest rates of home foreclosures and small crime in the country !   ???

« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
Goodwill in King Co has a contract with the county to take ewaste. Just dropped 5 off this weekend, We take the copper out of the TVs and monitors before bringing them to Goodwill.  Goodwill gets like $5 per set from the county. It keeps people from dumping them beside the road or at least someone will pick them up if they are dumped.   If someone would pay 6 cents a pound for them It would be great I have gotten TVs that weighed a couple hundred pounds before.  The big old Sony tube TVs several I have had to roll around cause we could not lift them.  Most of the weight is the tube.  BTW the tube is considered hazardous waste becasue of the Phosphor screen and the dumps will not take them. Rest of the set is not really hazardous.  There are international treaties on shipping scrap CRTs since they are hazardous waste.

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
Well did a quick 3 unit auction today.  First unit was pretty nice and full.  Was a 10x20 and sold for $300.  I was interested in it but not with only 24 hours to clean it out.  The other 10x20 was 3 couches, a bed, 4 kid/dog gates, and various eldery odds and ends.  It went for $150.  The last unit was a small 5x10 with crap tv, microwave, few junk end tables or something.  It sold for $5.  No one wanted the unit.  Was only about 10 registered bidders today.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:34 AM »
Sounds a lot more "normal"

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »
Sounds a lot more "normal"

Still definitely not "normal" around these areas still....Probably 30-35 registered, but about 100 total today....still those few I guess like myself trying to get into the business. Only thing different is I'm not in a hurry like some of these guys getting run up by the regulars just to get themselves a unit!

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 11.....November, 2011

Started by MovieMan

62 Replies
Last post December 01, 2011, 09:17:21 PM
by craiglstauction