Storage Auctions

Lookey Loos Part 9.....September, 2011

Re: Lookey Loos Part 9.....September, 2011
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:54:48 AM »
9-8 I attended a 7 facility caravan.  Was 30 units in paper up for auction.  Think it got down to about 25 or so.  The morning started off like normal with most of the regulars, a few regulars from the next major city over, and a few of us hobbiest.  Next site saw more people that I didn't recognize but that was due to the resteraunt equipment 4 different people came for.  After that place all the newbie's showed up.  So we went from about 15-20 people to close to 30-35 by noon.  A few of the regulars bowed out at this point due to getting lunch, one already had 5 lockers, etc.  By the end of the day it was about 20 of us again.  With 1 local regular, 2 next city regulars, 4 of us hobbiest, and the rest new people.  One doctor even had his son out there (home schooled) that I thought the auctioneer was going to punt into a locker and lock it.  Will post a longer thread on all the unit prices, a few pictures, the 2 lockers I purchased and pictures.

U-haul 2 facility this morning.  Will let you know how those crowds are.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 07:14:50 AM »
I"m gonna need about 200 donuts to fill up the tank in my F350 Crew Cab Diesel though!

I don't mind all the lookers at the auctions, except that it makes a 20 minute auction take and hour and a half while everybody ambles by the door.  Makes for a long and boring day when you are on a multiple facility run!

I like this only when I want to make a auction and I am stuck somewhere until a certain time.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 11:23:12 PM »
Posting this at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, 9 13 2011 at about one week after forum started SLOWING DOWN badly.

This is actually my 3rd post today and feels like a miracle !

Got a 5 x 10 lkr yesterday for $350 based on seeing one piece of DJ equipment (a nice mixer) and it's paying off with the spkrs being there, spkr stands in a new nylon case, another piece of dj equipment (a control panel for pedals) and a couple of boxes I can't get to yet that hopefully will have some dj pedals.

Also a stove, air-conditioner, an African Drum and.....drum roll....an African Blow Gun. I actually saw an African blow gun and spear on eBay, so I guess all weapons aren't forbidden there.

Crowd was decent...about 20 with most being regulars (we almost knew everyone). Heard about another earlier auction that had 60 people; the smaller number definitely helps and there is a certain amount of courtesy to not hogging every lkr that comes up. I do that for people and they for me; of course if it's a DYNAMITE lkr, all friendships go out the window to get "the prize".  ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 10:27:16 AM »
Here are a couple of more items I got in the $350 lkr mentioned above:

Aside from the Perego strollers, these Jeep Branded strollers do well too.

Inversion below sells for $100 plus at retail.

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 02:23:19 PM »
What ever good luck penny, rabbit foot, or what not you have Movieman can I borrow it for next week?

Friday the 9th I went to the 2 facility U-haul auction.  First place ended up only selling 1 locker but it went for $500 or $525.  It was a 5 or 10 X 30 and packed.  We couldn't see to the back.  Did I mention old?  The unit looked like it hadn't been touched in years.  Lots of cobwebs and dust.

The downtown facility had 6 units up for sale.  This is right around from my work so I'll hit it every time it comes up.  However, I also now know why only a few regulars come down here.  The units are mostly crap.  Most of the furniture was eaten by rats.  One unit even had a dead rat inside it.  Of the six units up for sale I bid on only one that had a nice mountain bike in it.  The unit sold for $160 as I stopped at $150.  Just wasn't worth any more then that IMO.

The crowd was light - about a dozen people.  There were a few more at the first facility but all told, less then 20 people.

Have a auction thursday and friday but I'm going to miss them I suspect due to work.  Monday is my 3 caravan auction after work that saw some decent units last month.  Will let ya know.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »
What ever good luck penny, rabbit foot, or what not you have Movieman can I borrow it for next week?

Well you got the LUCK part of the equation correct. The New In Box Inversion Table wasn't visible at all by any of us, so just DUMB LUCK it was in there.

The Mixer was the key thing I saw plus a bag that I thought was a muscial instrument (very clean bag) turned out to be the speaker stands inside....but nice anyway. One of the guys thought that bag was a canopy in a bag.  Speakers were also completely hidden. The pedal controller was somewhat visible...the bag that is, so I was counting on all that stuff.

Usual crap as well, but only a couple of boxes as the other items took up most of the space.

So, two good lockers about 3 weeks apart....means I either won't get any good ones for awhile and therefore may not get ANY for awhile as I am better and better at resisting just buying for buying sake.

Roadvirus

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 09:38:22 PM »
What pisses me off about the lookers is when there's a ton of them and they want to gawk at the locker's contents, when they're not even going to be risking their money, and then they seem to want to just stand around in front of the locker.
   Let the bidders get the look to see.  They're the ones buying it.
   Especially when (as the last auction I was at) there were over sixty people at the unit auctions, and less than ten of us were bidding.  It took several minutes to even get a glimpse into the locker.

I have a very low tolerance for idiots and almost no patience in general (bad combo, yes?). I'd probably lose it with people like that in probably 2 minutes (and that's just being optimistic).

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
I have a very low tolerance for idiots and almost no patience in general (bad combo, yes?). I'd probably lose it with people like that in probably 2 minutes (and that's just being optimistic).

Although I am a newbie to the auctions, having gotten away from it for years, one thing I did enjoy on my last 'caravan' was one jackass kept bidding on every locker, jacking the price up.  He didn't win any, but on the second to the last stop (after he'd already bid up where I dropped on a couple of lockers I liked) one of the old hands changed his bidding habits to the 'gold mine' routine, where he was bidding as fast as jackass raised him...then, rather than hesitating (I had no idea what he was bidding on.  He was already two or three hundred beyond what I would have optimistically paid for it), he simply stopped bidding.
   Jackass had the high bid (about 800 bucks), and this stunned expression.  You could tell he'd been doing the bidding just to play Dave Hester and screw people out of their money.
   The old timer just walked by him after the auctioneer called 'sold' and pointed at him, and he simply said 'you **** people, you get ****ed.  Bid if your serious.  Otherwise watch your goddamned tv show and play the lottery.'
   I thought that was brilliant.  The jackass just disappeared after that.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 09:41:37 AM »

Jackass had the high bid (about 800 bucks), and this stunned expression.  You could tell he'd been doing the bidding just to play Dave Hester and screw people out of their money.

The old timer just walked by him after the auctioneer called 'sold' and pointed at him, and he simply said 'you **** people, you get ****ed.  Bid if your serious.  Otherwise watch your goddamned tv show and play the lottery.'   I thought that was brilliant.  The jackass just disappeared after that.

And THAT is justice !   Great story.

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
Oh man - I would of laughed my butt off.  Wonder if he paid up or just walked away from it all.

Didn't get to hit the auctions today as helped parents with the case-lot-sale.  My nice 3 facility caravan Monday so will let ya'll know how that goes tuesday.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 07:08:22 PM »
Well monday has come and we are done.  Once again the crowd was decent, but on small size.  About 20 people max for the three facilities.  Prices also were reasonable.  Most units were under $200.  Had a few $10 units and such.  Most expensive was an aged 10X20 packed to the rafters.  I have a picture of it if anyone wants me to post it.  This unit sold for $390.

Daughter and I purchased two units.  One for $35 and another for $220.  Sold the particle board furniture and a few other heavy furniture items to one of the other bidders for $50.  He can make money on it and is why he was bidding on the unit.  I don't like to mess with furniture so it's a win-win.

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38:58 PM »
went to a caravan on Tuesday with 5 facilities. Around 30 some units. Between 25 and 25 people per location. Prices were decent with 2 going really high. A newbie was bidding on those. I ended up getting one for $17 (nobody wanted it because it looked like all office paper) and one for $50.

I knew there was money to be made on the $17 one when I saw totes and boxes full of college textbooks. Already tripled my money on them and still have a ton to go. Found a box full of playboys as well which I sold for $1 a piece to a guy at work.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37:38 PM »
The old timer just walked by him after the auctioneer called 'sold' and pointed at him, and he simply said 'you **** people, you get ****ed.  Bid if your serious.  Otherwise watch your goddamned tv show and play the lottery"

I lol'ed

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 10:30:43 AM »
Have two auctions today, the next one is not for a couple hours but here's how the first one looked. (13 units up for auction)

I 'won' a unit for $25, but after the auctioneer saw no one else was bidding, he pulled the unit claiming he didnt want to sell it that low. I was PISSED. When I questioned him about it, he smiled like a jack ass and said he had the right to pull the bid. Myself and the regulars I talked to had never seen this happen before. Not that its really gonna hurt him or the storage company, but I gave him the finger and vowed to never return.

Here's for better luck at the next one.

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
It rained so a ton of people come out of course.  Sucks they didn't let you have the unit man.  We have many units that go for less then $50 here.  One of the two I purchased last week was only $35.  Wish ya luck.

xx
Lookey Loos Part 5.....May, 2011

Started by MovieMan

20 Replies
Last post May 31, 2011, 06:39:24 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Lookey Loos Part 10.....October, 2011

Started by MovieMan

47 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 08:17:23 PM
by Liandra