Storage Auctions

Manager lets tenant remove contents while auction is in progress!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
I couldn't believe what happened. I bought a unit online and drove a couple hundred miles to Allen, TX to process it. Good unit, quadrupled my money on it, but while I was doing my inspection, I noticed that a vacuum cleaner that was shown in the photos wasn't inside the unit. It was a decent $150 vacuum and looked relatively new. It wasn't really a big deal that it was missing since I bought the unit for the electronic diagnostic equipment and over 10K new computer repair parts it contained. The vacuum was just a drop in the bucket, but I was definitely curious as to where it went. So, I went to the rental office and asked the manager what happened to the vacuum cleaner. He looked really nervous at that point. He stuttered a bit and then told me that he allowed the tenant to enter the unit and remove their personal documents (while the online auction was in progress) and apparently they took a few other things. I was agitated at that point, but I kept my cool. I just couldn't get mad at this elderly guy, he was just too nice. Plus, I'm sure he was just trying to do the right thing even though he should have never allowed the tenant to enter the unit unsupervised. However, after thinking about it for a while, it started to irritate me more. I mean, who knows what else the tenant removed from the unit.

What would you have done in a situation like this?

Re: Manager lets tenant remove contents while auction is in progress!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »
Quite frankly, he should be held to task.

In this budding new aspect of the industry, all it takes is a story or two like this to ruin momentum.  If an online bidder can not trust that the facility won't guarantee someone won't go in a take "an item or two" then there is no trust.  Personally, I don't do business with those I don't trust.

Want to get your personals back?  Great, the buyer of the unit will give them back.

Where was the old man while the original owner was getting his "personals?"  At the very least - and it still doesn't excuse his actions - he should have stood watch and made sure only personals left the unit. I smell doo-doo a brewin'.

On a legal avenue, you bought the unit based on what was physically documented as being in the unit. One could reasonably make a credible allegation of fraud.

NOPE - NO SIR - DON'T LIKE IT ONE BIT.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:31 PM »
This is what worries me about using online auction sites. So far I have only won one unit online but it was at a facility that used to do live auctions and the manager has always been very honest. I have contemplated bidding on a few units that were 60 or so miles away but have never had any dealings with the facility. Unless I can get a unit for a screaming deal I don't think I would even try.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:17:50 PM »
What would you have done in a situation like this?

I would've asked him who was going to compensate you for the missing jewelry box full of gold and diamonds.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
I would've asked him who was going to compensate you for the missing jewelry box full of gold and diamonds.

I agree with alloro.......so the guy took his "personal papers" and a vacuum cleaner and you are still pretty happy because you are making a lot of money on this purchase......but what if the guy also took the gun case full of rifles you could not see in the picture, or the jewelry box full of high end jewelry, or the duffle bag back in the corner with 30K in cash.....the thing is, you will never know. 

You got ripped off.....the vacuum is gone, and the guy admitted it.  Now you have to decide.....1. Is it worth pursuing, maybe get some of your money back or take legal action.......and 2. Since online storage auctions are one of the things you are kind of pushing...how much of a stink do you really want to stir up over this?  I'd be pissed!

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:26 PM »
What I really don't understand is why the tenant would take things like a vacuum cleaner, computer speakers & a box of trash bags, but leave behind $1500 in computer diagnostic equipment? It kind of makes me wonder if an employee of the facility took these things hoping that they wouldn't be noticed.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:55:55 PM »
What I really don't understand is why the tenant would take things like a vacuum cleaner, computer speakers & a box of trash bags, but leave behind $1500 in computer diagnostic equipment? It kind of makes me wonder if an employee of the facility took these things hoping that they wouldn't be noticed.

Why would an employee (or anyone else) take things like a vacuum cleaner, computer speakers & a box of trash bags but leave behind $1500 in computer diagnostic equipment?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:59:15 PM »
Why would an employee (or anyone else) take things like a vacuum cleaner, computer speakers & a box of trash bags but leave behind $1500 in computer diagnostic equipment?

They wouldn't.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »

Perhaps the employee was a neat freak who liked to listen to music while they cleaned.  ???

Seriously though, perhaps they thought the items were so insignificant that they wouldn't be missed. Then again, who knows what else was taken. This was an office warehouse unit so there could have been a safe, cash box, etc.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 04:40:50 PM »
This was an office warehouse unit so there could have been a safe, cash box, etc.

Lots of offices have safes and petty cash boxes, I've seen plenty when working my 'real' job.

Offline EdwardThirlwall

• Re-inventing the concept of storage
    • View Profile
    • Storage Facilities Australia
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »
Hey guys, I'm a manager at a Supercheap Self Storage in Sydney and @Travis, I'm really sorry that the facility you went to didn't hold their end of the auction up properly. Normal procedures would include padlocking until the auction is up. And if there were a scenario when a tenant was to come back for their items, they would have to pay for the storage unit again and/or resume their rental charges and the auction would stop there. Just hoping that this clarifies a little coz I do feel a little sorry for customers sometimes too. Some things just hold sentimental value and the 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' motto is how you guys make a living from this yeah?

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
Yep, that's how we do it. It's really not a big deal, it just surprised me at first. Funny thing is, if the facility manager had just asked me to set their documents aside, I would have been happy to do so. If the manager wasn't such a nice guy and hadn't been so accommodating with my other requests, I would have demanded compensation.

Offline AudreyGreenwood

• Lets just love each anyway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
I had heard of a similar situation from a relative of mine also. By right, if following proper rules and regulations, the manager should not have allowed the tenant to clear his own stuff up in packing boxes whilst the auction has already started. However, as what Edward has mentioned, some of their possessions inside the auctioned unit probably had sentimental value that is worth more than a few pennies. That is why out of goodwill, the manager had done what he did. Nonetheless, it is great to know that there is such a person like you Travis who is so kind-hearted so as to let the whole situation pass. God bless.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »
I purchased a unit online recently.  The first thing we do is take pictures of the unit before we move anything.  We noticed several bags, a shelf and other things missing.  We also talked to the manager who said, they let the owners back in after auction started.  We found some nice jewelry and cash, but we were really ticked at this happening.  We marked down that location as one not to deal with anymore.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 12:06:31 PM »
We noticed several bags, a shelf and other things missing.  We also talked to the manager who said, they let the owners back in after auction started.  We found some nice jewelry and cash, but we were really ticked at this happening.

Welcome to the forum Topheavy1. That's odd that the tenant would take what they did and leave cash/jewelry behind. Perhaps they forgot it was in the unit.

xx
Story from a facility manager about delinquent tenant stupidity.

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post January 04, 2014, 01:53:37 PM
by the teacher
xx
Twitter Updates for auction progress? Anyone else's auctioneers doing this?

Started by rulesforrebels

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 11:09:16 AM
by bwd111
xx
Online auction form - Time to Remove

Started by AnnMic

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2015, 08:19:35 PM
by Cheesehead
xx
Private Auction on Whole House Contents - Coronado California