Storage Auctions

So how's everyone doing?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
So how's everyone doing?
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:14:24 AM »
If you haven't posted in while, take this opportunity to let us know how you're doing. Have you bought some good units lately? Is business good for you? What have you been up to?

We'd love to hear from you! After all, without you, there is no community.

Offline eBID

• The best way to predict the future is to build it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So how's everyone doing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 03:30:29 PM »
Picked up a unit this morning, bid on one of those online storage auction websites (SB).  Got a pretty nice BMX bike and some other miscellaneous that needs to go out back to the dumpster.  It was my first storage auction buy.  I'd say I did pretty good for $20.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »
Picked up a unit this morning, bid on one of those online storage auction websites (SB).  Got a pretty nice BMX bike and some other miscellaneous that needs to go out back to the dumpster.  It was my first storage auction buy.  I'd say I did pretty good for $20.

I'm impressed! I think this experience will give you a greater understanding of what we buyers do. Reading about the business is one thing, getting your hands dirty is another. Instead of throwing them away, you could always put the misc. items for sale on eBid!

Offline eBID

• The best way to predict the future is to build it.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
"Hands Dirty".  Yes, lesson learned: Bring Gloves!

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »
Haven't been buying many units at all. Mostly because they all seem to be junk. Did buy one recently with a 2000 lb piece of machinery in it for $600. Luckily the facility had a forklift to load it in the truck for us. Sold it to a buyer 300 miles away who paid immediately but took a couple weeks to pick it up. The interesting thing about the unit was that we were all looking at the machine and paid no attention to the rest of the stuff in the unit. There wasn't that much other stuff but enough to clear almost $1500 before we even sold the machine and then sold the machine for another $1000.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
Haven't been buying many units at all. Mostly because they all seem to be junk. Did buy one recently with a 2000 lb piece of machinery in it for $600. Luckily the facility had a forklift to load it in the truck for us. Sold it to a buyer 300 miles away who paid immediately but took a couple weeks to pick it up. The interesting thing about the unit was that we were all looking at the machine and paid no attention to the rest of the stuff in the unit. There wasn't that much other stuff but enough to clear almost $1500 before we even sold the machine and then sold the machine for another $1000.

That sounds like a good score, but did you have to keep the machinery in the back of your truck for two weeks?

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:21:15 AM »
That sounds like a good score, but did you have to keep the machinery in the back of your truck for two weeks?

Almost! Initially we planned to get it in and out of the truck using a pallet jack and lift gate. It was just too heavy. We could move it with the pallet jack but could not get it onto the gate. As I said earlier the storage facility loaded it for us so we managed to get it home. We have several business very near our home with fork lifts, literally within a couple hundred yards,  so we weren't too worried about it. Very small town where everybody knows everybody. Figured it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately the first two people we asked both said insurance prevented taking the fork lift off their property. The third guy said sure, no problem and came and unloaded it for us.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
Figured it wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately the first two people we asked both said insurance prevented taking the fork lift off their property.

Assume nothing! :)
I guess your other option would've been to drive the truck onto their property and have them unload and keep it there until it was picked up.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I guess your other option would've been to drive the truck onto their property and have them unload and keep it there until it was picked up.

Or just grease the truck bed and floor it!