Storage Auctions

Storage Managers in Sacramento

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Storage Managers in Sacramento
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 09:44:43 AM »
I had a private message response from the member who freqents the Sac auctions.

Hopefully they're not in on the scam! :)

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »
I had a private message response from the member who freqents the Sac auctions. The member will be making a post here soon.
Hi all, when I read the original message I also tried to do some research and checked with a few other people in the Sacto area but we are not recognizing this person. Granted a lot of times the picture doesn't look exactly like the person but this guy doesn't seem familiar at all. I am sure IF this is happening it will spread very quickly throughout the caravans. I know I for one will be opening my big mouth and telling anyone that will be affected by this issue. Reading his ads on eBay this guy is "hooked on phonics"  ;) but still smart enough to con a manager into doing something illegal or visa versa. If this guy is blowing smoke then he is making the facility look crooked, if he is telling the truth then they all are crooks. If I hear anything through the grapevine,  I will be posting.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 02:29:51 PM »
If I hear anything through the grapevine,  I will be posting.

Thanks, Leota !  ;D

Offline ncali

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »
 ;)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:24 AM »
Wouldn't buying something from this guy be a crime as well?

I mean, aren’t there laws outlawing buying stolen items?

I don't know all the details and it probably varies by state, but one aspect is that it is a crime (misdemeanor) to be in "possession of stolen merchandise", but part of the process is that the person accused of that had "knowledge" that it was stolen merchandise and acquired it under those circumstances.

Half a dozen years ago there was a stir at the flea market where I sell. The police were at a vendor one row over and several spaces down from me. Turns out a customer had found several tools with his driver's license number on them at this guy's space.

Since he (the actual property owner)  had reported the theft (from his garage) to the police months earlier, it was a no-brainer they were in fact his and had been stolen.  Luckily the vendor had a receipt from the storage auction sale that had the locker number, etc showing he had bought the goods in good faith (had no knowlege they were stolen). We all followed this with interest from the time of the confrontation right up to the point where the vendor reported to us that the police had gone to the storage facility and talked to the mgr about the locker in question.  We don't know if they ever got the guy (or his girl friend) who had rented the locker and then defaulted on it.

Meanwhile, of course any item that had the DL number on it went back to the legal owner and the vendor was out the bucks for those. He had probably sold some items prior to the discovery and smaller things wouldn't have been confiscated I would guess, though the cops were there for a good long time.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 07:31:58 PM »
Meanwhile, of course any item that had the DL number on it went back to the legal owner and the vendor was out the bucks for those.

Just an FYI...That should've only happened if the homeowners insurance didn't pay up for the loss. If they did and the homeowner was compensated, then the tools actually belong to the insurance company. The insurance company most likely wouldn't want them, making the vendor the legal owner.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »
Just an FYI...That should've only happened if the homeowners insurance didn't pay up for the loss. If they did and the homeowner was compensated, they the tools actually belong to the insurance company. The insurance company most likely wouldn't want them, making the vendor the legal owner.

Yep, a lot of room for different things to have taken place. The homeowner may have had a deductible of "x" dollars  and would only have been paid for any loss over that amount. Who would own the things that weren't covered by the deductible?

When it gets to that level it's not even worth fooling with.

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »
Well, I finally saw the guy that has been mentioned. He wasn't in a wheelchair but a scooter and with a dark haired short woman. Also, surprisingly enough it was in Brentwood that I saw him. Once I saw his face and the woman I remembered them from before. I never got to talk with him but got a picture, of the crowd of course. :-) I haven't been to too many auctions in the Sacramento area for a while to run into them again. I don't think I have been to any auctions on Del Paso (the location that was mentioned originally) so I don't know which one it might be.

Offline ncali

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 11:55:09 PM »
Leota,
Thanks for looking out. Brentwood is surprising, were they Bidding or watching?

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »
Leota,
Thanks for looking out. Brentwood is surprising, were they Bidding or watching?
They seem to be there to bid but didn't have much going on. Mostly junk units.

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 02:22:24 AM »
I did some sleuthing (not hard) and found this guy's facebook page.  There is a very clear picture of him, with the same phone number posted, as well as the same terrible grammar/spelling.  That being said, I won't post it out of respect for his privacy.  No need in slandering someone who may have been blowing smoke.  However, if this guy is accessing units before auction and removing items, I believe he and the managers are committing a crime and should be investigated & brought up on charges.

I can provide the info to an admin/moderator upon request.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 08:24:57 AM »
However, if this guy is accessing units before auction and removing items, I believe he and the managers are committing a crime and should be investigated & brought up on charges.

I can provide the info to an admin/moderator upon request.

I think if any crime is being commited it would be a manager selling him something before the unit goes up for auction, but I repeat my thoughts from several posts above. Involving police in this would be a non-winner. They don't have the time for this kind of thing for the most part.  In my area they won't even come to a traffic accident unless someone has been hurt or traffic is being obstructed.

I believe the best way to handle this is (as stated before) is for buyer's in the involved area (Leota and ncali) to put out the word to everyone they know at auctions. Peer pressure would shut any thievery down...managers don't want a bad rep.

Sure, it was easy to find him and anyone here could do it....even the moderators !  But when the guy is showing only two friends on Facebook and doesn't offer his goods on Clist (that I found) how much trouble does he need?  eBay classifieds is now at 97 items (May 2, 2013) and they are no great movers of goods IMO. I've sold one item on there in two years but it WAS a high-ticket item so proved worth the effort I sometimes put in.....even cList won't take some items depending on who is working at any given time.

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 10:42:32 AM »
I agree, the police would probably do nothing.  On a side note, he currently has 14 items on craigslist, amongst a ton of other sites.  I'm not even sure how this guy posts on so many oddball sites.  That being said, nothing looks that great anyway... mostly your run of the mill storage odds & ends.  If he's getting "the goods" they are not that great, haha.

xx
Storage Auction story tonight on KCRA-TV, Sacramento, CA

Started by MovieMan

8 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 10:37:56 PM
by Travis
xx
Sacramento, CA online storage auctions..close at 6 p.m. Pacific time 2 3 14

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post February 03, 2014, 09:44:45 PM
by Travis
xx
Welcome Storage Facility Managers & Owners

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post October 11, 2013, 08:12:29 AM
by Travis
xx
Do the storage facility managers go through the units?

Started by Travis

1 Replies
Last post February 07, 2014, 11:01:27 PM
by MrGBJ