Storage Auctions

Stories and Lessons Wanted

Stories and Lessons Wanted
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
Hello All;

My name is Bill, I'm a freelance writer working on a book about storage auctions! I'm looking to talk with people who have good stories about their auction experiences, and especially the "lessons" you've learned about the storage auction business.... the good and the not-so-good. If you have any good suggestions on a "Top 10" list of things to know for auction success, I'd like to hear that too. Please get in touch at bsklodowski (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Thanks in advance;
Bill

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Stories and Lessons Wanted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
What's in it for us?

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
Greetings;

I'm happy to quote you by name, your store or other business (website, etc.).
It'd be some good publicity for anyone in the real "business" of auctions.

Thanks;
Bill

What's in it for us?

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
I'm a freelance writer working on a book about storage auctions! Bill

An article (maybe of a few parts) would be more appropriate than a book...IMO.

Check the "stories" thread in this forum. There are a few there.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
I'm happy to quote you by name, your store or other business (website, etc.).
It'd be some good publicity for anyone in the real "business" of auctions.

Most people in this "business" with "lessons" to share are not going to freely give them . An honorable mention pales in comparison to the book royalties that the author will get for never having got his hands dirty in this business. Add to that the idea of giving away secrets to newbies that will come out and bid against us and drive up prices, all for the bargain price of a 15 or so dollar book. No thanks I'll pass, as I'm sure most everyone else will as well.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
Yep, this "book" would probably turn into a "primer" entitled something like..."How to Make Money In The Storage Auction Business".

Just what we and the internet need...there must be half a dozen (or more) of them out there already.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:57:35 AM »
Most people in this "business" with "lessons" to share are not going to freely give them . An honorable mention pales in comparison to the book royalties that the author will get for never having got his hands dirty in this business. Add to that the idea of giving away secrets to newbies that will come out and bid against us and drive up prices, all for the bargain price of a 15 or so dollar book. No thanks I'll pass, as I'm sure most everyone else will as well.

Word!

With that being said I am finding other ways to procure inventory at cheaper prices then storage auctions, so I sure as heck don't want anymore books, TV shows, movies, documentaries, etc. coming out about the re-sale business!

Maybe it's just the fact the I am in the re-sale business and never noticed it before; but it sure seems to me on my day to day travels in running my business that there are a LOT of people trying to get into this business. I am constantly being asked by family, friends, neighbors, and especially customers; how I do what I do. They want to know where I get the inventory, where and how I sell it, how much money is to be made, etc.

Long story short, we don't need anymore competition. Good Luck with your book!

xx
just wanted to say hi and introduce myself

Started by lisa62

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2011, 07:40:40 AM
by Cobia
xx
Barter Kings...lessons in trading the stuff we get at auctions !

Started by MovieMan

18 Replies
Last post August 03, 2012, 01:08:47 PM
by alloro
xx
Orlando FL Wanted: Old photographs, black/white or color, slides or negatives

Started by Hmunster123

2 Replies
Last post November 11, 2013, 02:39:34 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Newbie with some stories