Storage Auctions

Strange situation today~locker owner begging for payoff~

Strange situation today~locker owner begging for payoff~
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:38:17 PM »
During one of our auctions today there were supposed to be 2 units at this one facility.  When we got there the manager told a young man he had to leave the facility.  He said 'but I've got the money.'  She asked if it were the full amount and he said he had half.  She told him to leave, but he left his girlfriend there.

She then went to every hispanic bidder (she was Hispanic) in the parking lot asking them to pay off the debt, she would then take a couple personal items, including one firearm (there were supposedly several).  Well by this time the unit was tainted to say the least.  Next thing I know she entered the office and the auctioneer came out and said we're down to one unit and it's not the one everybody was 'talking about'.

I don't know if one of our own 'bailed' her out or not, but the last person she was seen talking with was our version of Dave Hester.  You know.....deep pockets and win at any and all cost.

Found it very strange and wondered if you've ever encountered anything like this?

Re: Strange situation today~locker owner begging for payoff~
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
Interesting,never have seen that happen.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 08:59:31 AM »
The very first auction I ever attended had a somewhat similar situation. Woman and daughter (20's) were in tears. One of the Boston regulars went over to talk to them, came back over and said to all other regulars that they should not bid on her locker so she could get it back. Everyone actually listened and she got the locker for the starting bid of $100.  Not the nicest stuff in there, mostly personal items that they were able to recover. It was nice to see that the regulars had a heart for the situation, although I have been to many other auctions since where that NEVER would have happened. 

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »
I was at an auction a few months ago that the "owner" showed up.  He kept talking about that is my whole life in there.  What you going to do with my stuff, etc. etc.  The ladies of the facility made him leave.  Was a silent bid auction.  Some ok stuff but nothing outstanding.  I didn't win it but one of the other regulars did.

It does happen - not often - but sometimes the people do show up.

I had one auction I won at a silent bid (was a lark only paid $26 unit).  Had to quickly clean it out as family was hitting Atlanta next day for Reba concert.  Next week I took a large box of personals back to the facility.  Had a VM next day from the manager.  Seems she had finally got ahold of the lady or lady called her.  She was looking for a specific bible or something. 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
IMO, if it's that important to you then...
1) Don't leave it in a storage unit.
2) Pay your friggin' bill.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »
Anyone who has been doing this for awhile can tell a story about a former lkr owner showing up.

I have a couple of memorable ones which I have related elsewhere in this forum.

One had a gal losing her top and letting it all hang out as the facility managers hauled her away from the crowd. I'll try to find the link to that one for those who want to read it..probably has other sob stories in it too.

Here's the other memorable one I had (of maybe 4 or so over the years).  This one starts at reply #61 in the following thread: (my big gun safe of some months ago).

http://storageauctionforums.com//index.php/topic,1611.60.html

From that point down there are other miscellaneous comments about the locker and other people chime in on the crazy people who want their stuff back. For those of you who are newer to the forum....enjoy !

xx
Strange Locker Sale

Started by MovieMan

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2014, 10:06:22 PM
by Travis
xx
Locker owner wants leg back

Started by Travis

47 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 07:14:15 PM
by alloro