Storage Auctions

Tea for Two - Good News/Bad News

Tea for Two - Good News/Bad News
« on: March 30, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
I know there have been several threads about small crowds, but most are approaching a year old, so I though I would update with today's auction story.....

Local independant facility - three lockers was down to one by start time.  The ONLY buyer there was..........ME!   :o   I had talked to the facility owner and checked in, so I knew I was at the right spot.   (That's the good news)  The Manager even commented "Wow, guess you'll be getting a locker today!"  As we were walking through the gate to head to the single unit, up drives a second buyer - THE LOCAL WHALE!  (bad news)  I'm thinking "O crap, there goes my locker."

Unit was a 5x7 - One-third of it included a couple antique baskets, a few pieces of cast iron cookware, some books, stepladder, weed eater (rusty), and DVDs - and two-thirds was crates and crates of paperwork.  They were the plastic see-through crates, so you could see the bills, taxes, magazines, etc. (I'm talking 5-feet high!!)   My estimated selling value was about $200, so I set my limit at $100.  Mr. Whale started at $25, I went to $50, he went $75, and I went $100 - he walked up, flashed in a light - and bid $125.   >:(    I backed out, and he'll do alright with the stuff at his store. 

Still bizarre there were only two of us there, and sad that the other bidder had to be him!  Oh well......there's always the next one.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Tea for Two - Good News/Bad News
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Sorry you did not get the locker but glad to here the low turn out.

always next time.  ;D

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:38:44 PM »
That would be my luck too Cheesehead....
Actually I went up against our local whale to the tune of $2100 on one locker and $1400 (everybody else had backed out at about $900) on another......I didn't win either, but at least he now knows I will stick around if it's a unit I really want......and I REALLY wanted that last one..... :-\

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:07:49 PM »
Dang - that would of stunk to get all excited and then he shows up.  Course - I'm glad the manager was just going to sell you the unit anyways.  Most places in my area if there isn't 3 people they cancel it.  Best luck next time Cheesehead.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »
It's better to believe that fate was kind and saved you both a $100 and a lot of trips to the dump. :)

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
That would be my luck too Cheesehead....
Actually I went up against our local whale to the tune of $2100 on one locker and $1400 (everybody else had backed out at about $900) on another......I didn't win either, but at least he now knows I will stick around if it's a unit I really want......and I REALLY wanted that last one..... :-\

Thats what you gotta do to compete in this business. By the way, thanks to Glendon's YouTube Video, you and your hubby's (Don) names have popped up in other places, so you might become a "local" celebrity on the auction scene.  ;)

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »
Thats what you gotta do to compete in this business. By the way, thanks to Glendon's YouTube Video, you and your hubby's (Don) names have popped up in other places, so you might become a "local" celebrity on the auction scene.  ;)

You have got to be kidding me?  Heck down here everybody has moved on.......

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:35:47 AM »
what is this video of which you speak?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:01:18 AM »
You have got to be kidding me?  Heck down here everybody has moved on.......

Maybe you will get asked to be in the shows.  ;).  and they can pay for your units. LOL  JK

xx
Not storage auction news but very interesting auction news

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post October 20, 2013, 08:58:50 PM
by Travis
xx
This is REALLY BAD news!!

Started by Cobia

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 07:47:54 PM
by craiglstauction