Storage Auctions

Went to my first storage auction!

Roadvirus

Went to my first storage auction!
« on: October 17, 2011, 10:55:14 PM »
But i didn't get a locker :P

A small storage unit company near Peoria had 3 units up for auction on Saturday. I wasn't busy dealing with the store, so i went. I took $2000 and 3 locks with me. There were about 16 or 17 people there, most of them were college-aged kids.

1st locker (a 10x15): I was right in front of the door when it was lifted and a nasty smell hit me like a sucker punch. It smelled like someone ate a couple cartons of baked beans and spent the night in there. From what i could see from a distance was next to nothing. A rusty bike, a few tires and a fridge (100% likely the source of the smell). No one bought it (shocking). The poor auctioneer spent 20 minutes trying to pry our wallets open for it.

2nd locker (10x15): This was a business unit. 2 computer desks, 3 filing cabinets (in good shape) and half-dozen swivel chairs (one of them seemed broken). I went after this but got outbid. Yeah...carrying $2 grand and got outbid. Remember those college-aged kids i mentioned? 3 of them were fighting me tooth and nail. The unit ended up going for $3,050.

3rd locker (5x5): 2 medium-sized rubbermaid tubs of clothes. Not worth my time to go to Goodwill. Went for $100.

It was fun to go to the auction, but not fun because i lost a good unit. Oh well. Better luck next time.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Went to my first storage auction!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:46 PM »
2nd locker (10x15): This was a business unit. 2 computer desks, 3 filing cabinets (in good shape) and half-dozen swivel chairs (one of them seemed broken). I went after this but got outbid. Yeah...carrying $2 grand and got outbid. Remember those college-aged kids i mentioned? 3 of them were fighting me tooth and nail. The unit ended up going for $3,050.

I hope there was MORE in it than what you describe above for over $3,000.  At the 10 items you described, that works out to $300 each.

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 11:34:15 PM »
I would have bid on that stinky locker all day long for a $1.  I love bikes and rusty bikes are cool( people love them for decor in the garden).  I could have taken that fridge to the scrap yard for a good $30 in my pocket.

3,000 for some desks?  You won that battle.  Those kids are gonna be calling Sallie Mae for an extension, since they just blew the FASA on a get rich quick scheme.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
I took $2000 and 3 locks with me.

At one of the auctions I went to last week they cut a lock and raised a door. Everyone went to go take a look but were stopped when the door next to it was cut and raised. Okay a double unit we all thought. Went to take a look and got stopped again, yup the next door the lock was cut and up went the door...a triple door unit. Everyone had 1-2 locks with them and I had 5, but I didn't want the unit after seeing what was in there (lots of big furniture and two large projection TVs.) So the bidding goes round and round and the next thing I knew it sold for $550. The young kid that won was all smiles until I leaned over and said, "So how are you gonna lock it up?" :)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 06:02:53 AM »
Going to our second auction run different auction company. Starts late today, early ones cancelled.. Looking forward to a nice rainy day here in sunny FL.  Will keep you posted on the crowd on a potentiality nasty day.

Would have to agree that you won on the $3000 unit. Do they realize they have to move that stuff and sell it to get their money back? No returns like Walmart..

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 07:36:02 AM »
But i didn't get a locker :P

It was fun to go to the auction, but not fun because i lost a good unit. Oh well. Better luck next time.

If that is all that was in there you did'nt lose a thing! I don't think you will be seeing the winner of that unit at an auction again! Maybe it's just me but it's hard to get even $3000 in gross sales from one unit. We are typically shooting for double the money of the winning bid amount, so do you think there was $6100 in used/resale inventory in a 10 x 15 ?

Offline Boxlot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
I would have to say that you were the winner as well. I would not be bring 2 grand to auctions until I got me feet wet with buying and selling what I bought. Buying is easy, Selling will be the tricky part. I bring $500 with me and don't want to spend that much.

Roadvirus

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:21 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I guess i got a little over my head for my first auction. Good thing it didn't cost me any money to learn the lesson.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:10:39 AM »
I would also have to agree, being well prepared by bringing 2 grand is a little much for newcomers to bring. Get experience with the sales part of it first. Then be prepared with as much money as you can bring.

xx
New Storage Auction Game - Auction Wars: Storage King

Started by Travis

0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2014, 08:17:37 PM
by Travis
xx
Abandoned Property Auction Listed on Virtual Storage Auction

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 05:48:42 PM
by Alias300