Storage Auctions

charging admission ????

Re: charging admission ????
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:41 AM »
I myself don't like the idea.  It wouldn't surprise me anyways if some companies start to do that.  I don't want to pay $5 to look at 1 locker that is trash/empty.  Once/if the crowds die down would these places stop charging the $5.  Of course not, it's extra revenue for them.

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:18 AM »
they would be better served buy charging a big deposit per person than charging and admission.

i go to 2 uhaul circuits one doesnt charge a deposit upfront and gets 50-150 people and takes forever to complete each auction

the other takes a $200 per person deposit and gets 20-30 people and goes much quicker

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 11:41:55 AM »
A facility asked me how I'd feel about having to register online.
They were thinking buyers would have to register and put a deposit by the night before.
They hadn't worked it all out and just asking everyone for input.
But I'd be cool with some variation of it.
Also thinking of restricting it to 18+.  Nobody is watching their kids while bidding and they are scared of injury/law suit.

The other idea was opening all lockers from say 8-11 with an employee guarding. Then auction. But scraped idea cause of cost and people want the locker opened in front of them. I can see both sides. Be great to show up. Go to all five lockers and see they aren't for me and leave but also I too want the lock cut in front of me......

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
Also thinking of restricting it to 18+.  Nobody is watching their kids while bidding and they are scared of injury/law suit.

Many of us involve our kids in this process, so 18 is a very restrictive. I'm fine with 5+ year olds there. That seems to be the age where they start being much less disruptive.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 01:28:33 PM »
I like watching the kids when parents find toys and such. To them it'd better than Xmas.  Everything in the locker is a treasure! lol

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
So no one but me would have a problem with this.  It is open to the public.  So if there are 7 auctions that day and you go to all of them there is $35 spent and you may not win a single unit.  Now if you are going as a team because two sets of eyes are better than one you just spent $70. Start doing that 4 - 5 time a month and you are talking $300 a month.  Good luck making a profit that way.  Would anyone be happy when they open a unit and the only thing in there is one chest and a bag of garbage left behind.  Talk about the WOW factor.  I just paid $5 to see that trash.

See its working GREAT Already.......You would be out if they did it so it works.....LOL

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 08:50:10 AM »
Kinda off topic, but.

I was talking to one of the employees of the major auctioneer in our area. She told me the regulars, especially those with thrift stores and such have been complaining bitterly to the auction company about how the newbies are running them out of business. The auctioneers have come to a realization that although they are making more money right now with the high prices of units, if all the regulars go out of business it may cause them some financial difficulties as well.

Just my thoughts, but I am thinking if all the regular flea market vendors, thrift store owners get run out of business, the scene might only be left with people looking to cherry pick the nicely packed units and units with obvious high value things in them. All the other marginal units could go unsold. If the auctioneer can't sell off the marginal units, which account for most of the units up at auction; why should the facility manager hire the auctioneer in the first place?

Anyway, long of the short of the story, the auction company employee says they are considering some policies/strategies to protect the regulars and thier industry from all the newbies getting in. She did'nt give any examples of what they are planning but charging admission could be one option. Requiring a resale certificate to bid could be another option. Having bidding deposits of say $50-$200 could be an option. I realize depending on state laws and the fact that these are "public" auctions their hands might be tied as to what they can require, but at least one auctioneer is considering doing something to protect the old timers/regulars/professional storage unit buyers.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »
The idea of charging admission to look at lkrs seems detrimental at first, but those of us who can afford it might applaud it after a while.

If it cut the crowd down it would be well worth it. On the other hand maybe it should only be applied to auctions having 5 or more units being sold. Even it applied to facilities with less than five units for sale it might not be a bad idea.

One philosophy has it that fewer people will go to an auction with only 1 or 2 units for sale, but that often goes out the window with "it's raining" idea that fewer people will show up. Every one goes anyway thinking no one else will...net result 30 or more people for 2 units....and they're both crap.

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
@ cobia - many of the real auction companies are starting to hurt due to the crowds.  As the guy from Legacy said it is taking him 2-3x as long to do one facility if they have 10 or more units.  So while the pay has gotten a little better it is starting to hurt them in the long run.  Instead of 3-4 auctions a day they can only do 1 or 2.

Thrift store / flea vendors will either go under or adapt.  New people would open up stores.  I disagreed with someone the other day that stated "If you can profit running a thrift now you can do it at any time".  I disagreed with them, for currently more people are shopping thrifts/outlets due to the economy and counting every penny.  Once economy turns around and everyone heads back to big box stores - a number of these thrift stores will close.  Like the gold buying companies they are on every street corner it seems currently.

On the admission - I still prefer no admission or to be grandfathered in once you buy a unit from that facility.  Trying to keep up with all the paperwork would be a PITA also I would think.  Paying $5 to see 20 units and crowd of 20-30 people is cool.  Paying $5 to see 3 trash units, and crowd still 50+ would just suck.

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »
Auction I went to today charged a buck a bidder, gave you a little number card like at other kinds of auctions.  Didn't bother me any, nor would five bucks, especially if it lowered the attendance.

When my wife and I go we take our two kids.  Not sure I would like the idea of having to pay $20, especially at a caravan of six or seven facilities.  Maybe if you just paid once for the whole caravan or something.

xx
Storage managers talk about charging admission to auctions

Started by MovieMan

13 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 10:37:18 AM
by money4nothing
xx
Facility limiting admission?

Started by Travis

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2015, 05:04:58 PM
by Travis
xx
Are Storage Facilities in your area starting to charge admission?

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 10:53:42 AM
by MovieMan
xx
How does Glendon Cameron get away with charging $60 for his book?

Started by Travis

17 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 03:17:46 PM
by bwd111