Storage Auctions

Booth space versus full store - I bit the bullet

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
Re: Booth space versus full store - I bit the bullet
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 06:41:46 PM »
Thanks Ironman. I will keep you posted have to do a little saving. We are cleaning out our personal stuff... Have a few things that need to be in a shop. But I don't think enough to get started.. My Aunt however has two sheds full so maybe can get with her... She offered for me to help her go through it (wait did I get pulled into that lol) for trade of things. So I will work on that. 

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »
I, too, use booths at multi-dealer shops to sell a great deal of my stuff from storage units. I have a 6' x 8' booth at a shop next to a flea market that's open only on weekends and only takes cash. So there, I primarily put lower-priced stuff that's appropriate for either a flea market or is collectible. We've done better each month we've been there, as we've learned what does well from product and pricing perspectives. I have a big sale on handbags going on there (got these from a hoarder's unit ... over 70 brand new handbags) and they've been moving very well.

I've also just recently taken a set of shelves at an antiques/collectibles shop on a main drag in a more well-to-do area. I'm putting antiques and collectibles there. They do take credit cards and are open Thursday - Sunday. Not much action there, unfortunately. If business doesn't pick up there very soon, I'll exit immediately after Christmas.

We also have a shelf in a locked cabinet at this antiques shop so I can sell off jewelry items. The cost for the rental is so low, it will be much cheaper to sell items there than pay the final value fee for each on eBay.

Starting November 1st, we'll also begin selling furniture in a multi-dealer furniture warehouse connected to an antiques/collectible multi-dealer shop. We were on the wating list there for 4-5 months, I'm thinking low turnover indicates to me sellers must do pretty well there. I currently have my own storage unit to use as a staging area for furniture that I sell on craigslist. The monthly rent for 2 spots totaling almost 200 sq feet at the warehouse is lower than my rent for the 10 x 10 storage space! This shop is open Thursday - Sunday. It's near Brimfield, so it's also open every day Brimfield is going on.

Unlike many of the storage unit buyers we see here in Massachusetts, I like furniture a lot, so we have quite a bit. This new outlet should prove to be a huge boon.

BTW - the deal for all these spaces in the 3 shops is a flat monthly rent only. There is no fee based on sales made. The one exception is if a sale is made by credit card. Then, the shop keeps 5% of the sale cost.

With this variety of booths going now, there's not a lot we sell through other means. Basically, those items fall into 2 categories: 1) clothes - which we mostly sell on eBay using Buy it Now. For instance, I'm selling a lot of coats right now on eBay that we got in that hoarders unit with the handbags. 2) higher value or unknown value antiques/collectibles or items that appeal to niche collectors - again, these go on eBay primarily as auctions. Examples are pre-prohibition beer bottles and a 1979 Roland synthesizer.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 06:19:30 PM »
Sounds good Cranky, I called the one was told about and they are full and opening another to far for me to drive. There is one that is open 7 days a week and the flea market on the weekends and it is closer.. I need to slow down have one locker under my belt and it is yard sale stuff. But I really appreciate the advice something to strive for. : )

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2011, 02:21:16 PM »
Im thinking of doing this but Im thinking, why stop at one?  I might go around and put a presence in a few of these antique malls. 

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 05:22:33 PM »
Well here is an update. I have been overwhelmed at my full time job and have had little time to keep the storage auctions and shops running at the level I want to. Thats changing so in January I'll get back into the swing of things. That said, our next step is to open a single shop in another mall about 20 miles from where I'm at with two booths. The area is more affluent and has clientel that don't make the trip to Kennesaw Ga. (I'm going to open the new space in Alpharetta Ga at Queen of Hearts.) That should work well for me as I live 8 miles from one and 12 from the other and it will expand the possible client base. Yes more work but if it does as well as my first two I'll be happy to put in the time. I have also noticed an uptick in peoples buying habits. Not a gandbuster but better than what you would expect for a holiday seasonal uptick so I'm hoping the economy around here is improving. Thats another reason I want to open a new shop in a new area so as things continue to improve I'm already in place and making things happen. Well, off my soapbox and back to work. Good luck everyone!!

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »
This post got me looking and I set up in a small booth @ Southern Pickers in Tifton on Black Friday.  Made enough to cover prorated Nov. and Dec. rent with some profit ;D  This gets me more $ for the nice items that are to small for CL and to low value to Ebay and ship.  Just hope it keeps working out like it has started.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 06:05:33 AM »
This post got me looking and I set up in a small booth @ Southern Pickers in Tifton on Black Friday.  Made enough to cover prorated Nov. and Dec. rent with some profit ;D  This gets me more $ for the nice items that are to small for CL and to low value to Ebay and ship.  Just hope it keeps working out like it has started.

Glad things are working for you... Our inventory still low but the Thrift store we currently consign with is a blessing... Stuff she sells for us we would not get much at a yard sale and nothing for the trouble of CL. She is trying to expand a little and we are debating to offer renting space from her... I really want her to stay in business, without her we  would not be so far ahead. Will keep you posted.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
Well here is an update. I have been overwhelmed at my full time job and have had little time to keep the storage auctions and shops running at the level I want to. Thats changing so in January I'll get back into the swing of things. That said, our next step is to open a single shop in another mall about 20 miles from where I'm at with two booths. The area is more affluent and has clientel that don't make the trip to Kennesaw Ga. (I'm going to open the new space in Alpharetta Ga at Queen of Hearts.) That should work well for me as I live 8 miles from one and 12 from the other and it will expand the possible client base. Yes more work but if it does as well as my first two I'll be happy to put in the time. I have also noticed an uptick in peoples buying habits. Not a gandbuster but better than what you would expect for a holiday seasonal uptick so I'm hoping the economy around here is improving. Thats another reason I want to open a new shop in a new area so as things continue to improve I'm already in place and making things happen. Well, off my soapbox and back to work. Good luck everyone!!

I am sure you already thought of this, but just in case, don't forget to cross advertise for both your locations so your customers who visit one location know about the other and vis-versa.

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
I've not found anything like that in my area.  I have toyed with the idea of opening a flea market store but keep talking myself out of it.  The stores at my local flea are 10' by 20' and run $190 a month.  However, that doesn't include a table.  Tables run $12 a day for a 10' by 10' space.  So far I just rent a table about every other weekend.  I figured it out and a 10' by 20' storage unit at most locations are 80 - 115 a month.  So if I was renting a unit and a table every day it would be just as cheap to do the store and put my own tables out in the space provided.  I'm just not interested in hitting the flea market every Sat & Sun nor do I rent space currently.

Do the math in your own area for those interested in expanding beyond the yard sale / flea market table.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Time to re-start an old topic  ;)

Getting ready to reopen booth space at a new vendor's mall. Don't know if I am a gluton for punishment or to stupid to quit. Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in! Anyway, this mall I think has better potential for real income/profit.

New rental rate $1.25 sf, old rental rate $2.00 sf
Commission: Same 10%
New credit card fee 3%, old credit card fee 5%
New store hours 6 days a week, old store hours 3 days a week.
Other services provided by new location: 30 day lay-away, Delivery service for an extra charge.
Only con of new location is it is clear the other side of town for me, but I have been doing business with the owners for several years and they have a large auction clientele so I figure when people find out their running a vendor's mall that should bring in a customer base right away. (crossing fingers)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
Sounds like a big improvement over the old place... I still have not bit the bullet.... Too much for space $2.00..sq.' and the only spaces they have are 100 sq' or more.... ::)

Really like the layaway plan... That should boost some sales.  I think people will spend more if they can pay it over time. Has worked for K-Mart for years...  ;D

Hope it all works out.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
The K-mart in our area closed its doors a couple of months ago. The Liquidation Sale was not all that much of a big deal. It was almost like they marked up the prices to mark them down -  ??? Total waste of time IMHO...

I am surprised ours is still open.. One on the other side of town closed down. Not sure when..

I don't get out much.... LOL

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
On K-mart the exec board at Sears I think is just tossing a dart at a board.  They closed down 1 of 2 in my area.  One they have open now I will not visit since is in the shaddy side of town.  Of course it's the only major store there so sales may of been higher versus the other near Walmart / Target.

On Booth vs Full Store - I've lucked out myself with my buddies store.  He either buys my furniture at a fair price or we split the profits.  I in return do many ebay sales for him and split profits.  Plus for me is I can setup outside his store in a "yard sale" style when I want.  So then people that stop in his store come see me, and vice versa.  Plus, I'm there to help with the setup / delivery / labor of running the store.  Guess could say I'm a 1% silent partner.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:30 PM »
I love Kmart around Christmas time!  Try getting in to Walmart and the crowds and lines are terrible.  But, head over to Kmart and associates are standing around with nothing to do, there's no line at the registers, it's like your own private little store!  I don't know how they stay in business around here!

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2013, 07:54:28 PM »
What about taxes?  Federal and state?  I already pay enought taxes from my real job and don't want to get taxed anymore.  Is the income form the sales in one of the vender stores taxed as income???

xx
The last Booth in the Antique Mall

Started by House of Treasures

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 09:51:29 AM
by House of Treasures
sad
LESSON LEARNED EXTRA SPACE STORAGE

Started by missb76

17 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 02:45:04 PM
by Travis