Storage Auctions

My full time "other job" is

My full time "other job" is
« on: December 26, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »
I am a national sales director for a telecom company. Have been in the high tech business all my life and am burned out on technology. Besides that the industry has changed and diminished so significantly over the last five years it's a difficult place to be. What I am hoping to do is to turn what is now a sideline hobby into a full fledged business I can take into my retirement. Is anyone really making a supportable living at this?

Re: My full time "other job" is
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 09:21:15 PM »
Glad you asked the question...I would like to get some

input on that also.  :)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:56:20 AM »
I've noticed no one including moderators have answered this question. Is anyone really making a decent living doing this full time? If So, what dollar ranges? If so, how long did it take you to get there? If so, what do you do about health insurance? It appears to me that there aren't that many members on here that it would make a difference if these questions got true answers. Realizing that this is someones livelihood (supposedly anyway) and you certainly don't want to adversely affect that revenue stream it is somewhat understandable that there would be some reluctance to answer up........That said.......................

Aside from the TV shows hype, those of us that are truly looking at this as a business venture and not just a passing fad or hobby would like to know..........and we also view those shows as entertainment not reality. At least I do. I have bought a dozen or so units and have done fairly well. I'm to the positive side even after all expenses. Biggest slow down is finding the downline to sell the stuff into besides the standard CL/EBAY/ etc. For me, I take less money on any one particular item in order to keep product turning over and cash flowing... Thoughts anyone??

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
I'm a firefighter/paramedic in southwest florida.  Just trying to take this up as a hobby.  Kinda have this vision that it could be a fun "treasure hunting" activity with my kids as they grow up. 

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 11:59:22 AM »
I am self employed, i own a company in Europe that build and sell power generator sets. We also sell steel buildings.
I own a company here in the USA that are into real estate end steel buildings.

Storage auctions for me is a hobby, or a side business, and i hope with time to open up a "new & used outlet store"
So far i have spent about 1500 dollars in total buying storage lockers. I have sold for about $3400  And that is only th last 2 months.
So yes you can make money on this, and good money.

But it is like any other business, it takes time.
Remember you have to build up an inventory, then you have to create a downline or network of buyers, this is not done over night.

But if you have some ice in your gut and have a long term goal, i think that you could turn both a 5 figure and a 6 figure profit on annual basis.

There are people who makes nothing from this, and they ***** and complain, but what do they do to make it happend? are they dedicated? are they at all trying? one thing is to go to auctions and buy lockers, but if you don't sell it it later on, what is the point then?

Then you have people who have made millions over several years, they do it because they have a goal, they know what to look for, they know how to sell it, and they create a network around them.

In all kinds of business and life it self i belive in the law of attraction, you attract into your life the things and reasults you think about and feel about. The book and the video called "the secret" provides good information about this.

So if you want to make money on buying storage lockers and selling your finds, then just go out and do it, and believe that you can. And be positive about it. And never give up!!!!! Never doubt your self or what you are doing!!!!

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 01:37:35 PM »
I have always just done auctions on the side. So I can't quite answer this question. I would have liked to just jump all in but my wife likes the stability of regular income. The most I have profited in a month doing it on the side was 2400. So I could see someone making a living of this if they get all their ducks on a row.

Insight

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »
I clean residential foreclosures part time.  In this business it's about who you know in order to get any contracts.  Most times it can be dirty work but always profitable because you get paid by the asset mgnt company or a real estate agent or by the bank.  The other part to profiting from this is to come across a property that still have stuff inside.  First you scout the property for scrap metal and take it to the scrap yard and the rest if salvageable you can sell on craigslist, flea market, yard sale or however you want with it.  The downside to getting paid is it usually takes 30 days before you see a check, also you should have several others working with you or you will get burned out quickly.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »
Insight, where are you?  I do foreclosure sales for a living. 

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
I flip houses as a part of my living. Maybe alot of us in here have more in commen then we know.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:42 PM »
I guess I need to clarify what I wrote....I work on the legal side of foreclosure sales.  I deal with alot of investors who flip houses.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »
I work in sales but have a pretty flexible schedule so I can usually hit up a few auctions during the week even during my workday. I also get a weekday or two off every week or ten days so usually hit up an auction then. Plus I'll occasionally take a vacation day if there's a lot of auctions, normally wont take a day off just fora  one off auction normally only for the caravan auctions wehre there's like 12 facilities in a day.

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:55 AM »
I'm a computer geek, work out of my house, but my hours are set, 8-5 every day.  Need to figure out how to get those days with 4+ auctions during the week off, I am guessing that is where the money can be made (less people, lots of boxes).

Orlando

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 09:21:01 AM »
I am a project manager for a mold remediation company

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »
I am the head HVAC mechanic at my company. The economy may be bad, but we are busy

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 11:19:52 PM »
I am a the Director of Business Development for a loca ambulance provider.  My postion affords me the flexibility to go to auctions. 

I am hoping to develop this into a full-time gig eventually.  Having owned an ambulance service in the past, I got kinda used to making my own hours. 

I don't take orders well...

xx
More good storys "Fake Storage Wars loses its luster"

Started by bwd111

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:06:27 AM