Storage Auctions

My full time "other job" is

Re: My full time "other job" is
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
I am a Loan Counselor for a mortgage servicer....I assist homeowners in avoiding foreclosure.

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:02 AM »
i am a finance director for a large auto dealership....which doesnt give me alot of extra auction time....mainly a weekend thing

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:57:32 AM »
It's interesting, I've seen a lot of "commercial" trucks at auctions. Ones that have a route like a lawn fertilizer truck where the tech has a route and he decided to do an auction while on that route.......Wouldn't want to be them when their bosses found out.........add to the unemployment rate.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 08:27:17 AM »
I made a decent living buying and reselling things that I purchased at auctions for quite some time. It was my full time job and I was a volume buyer. I was putting in 80-90 hours a week though. I didn't get rich but I was able to pay my bills and have a little left over to play with.

I have not been to an auction since January 15th. I created Houston Texas Storage Auctions and it has consumed most of my time ever since. The business is getting easier to manage now that we have our systems in place. I am looking forward to attending auctions again in the next month or so but this time I will be buying for fun instead of necessity.

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
I am the Lieutenant of Operations for a small West Michigan based security firm.  It's fun, I work with great people and would never leave it to pursue buying storage units, well at least not until I buy a unit that contains a $250,000 rare coin collection and that provides the funds to do it right.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 01:50:07 PM »
I am the Service Manager for a local Vinyl Window Manufacture heading into my 24th year of service for this Company.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:35 AM »
I am the Service Manager, Project Manager, & Estimator for a heating & air company in the Metro Atlanta area. I've been doing HVAC for about 21 years now. I have a pretty flexible schedule, that has allowed me to explore my new hobby somewhat.
Wouldn't mind going full time with the auctions eventually. No stranger to long hours and hard work. Thinking that the auctions could possibly allow me to make a modest living, while letting me set my own schedule.
Also, my wife and I enjoy doing this together.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »
Amen heatman. I'm in Marietta and looking to this as extra retirement income and BTW my wife loves the treasure hunt too!!

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2011, 06:27:11 PM »
Let's see.  My other job USED to be a bail agent for a large corporation.  Got fired almost 1 year ago.  Took some time off...then when it was time to get back to work, the only jobs that were readily available were Car Sales jobs....been there, done that.  Not again.
I used to buy and sell watches on Ebay.  Went to estate auctions and bought and sold stuff from there as well.  I am always buying and selling things.
My girlfriend that I live with has a real job and affords me the "prep" time to ramp up in this storage auction endeavor.  She is very supportive and has seen me in action buying and selling and watching me sell a broken lawnmower sitting in her take to trash pile really helped things so the confidence is there.

Mr Andersen...my girlfriend also has the book "The Secret" on the dresser and has hinted for me to read it.  I have pushed it aside but will now read it to see what the hoopla is all about. 

Im in the process of moving closer to Sacramento so I wont be doing this full time until June and I'm getting anxious.  Its giving me a chance to build my bankroll and also to secure all the tools to be successful. 

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
I've noticed no one including moderators have answered this question. Is anyone really making a decent living doing this full time? If So, what dollar ranges? If so, how long did it take you to get there? If so, what do you do about health insurance? It appears to me that there aren't that many members on here that it would make a difference if these questions got true answers. Realizing that this is someones livelihood (supposedly anyway) and you certainly don't want to adversely affect that revenue stream it is somewhat understandable that there would be some reluctance to answer up........That said.......................

Aside from the TV shows hype, those of us that are truly looking at this as a business venture and not just a passing fad or hobby would like to know..........and we also view those shows as entertainment not reality. At least I do. I have bought a dozen or so units and have done fairly well. I'm to the positive side even after all expenses. Biggest slow down is finding the downline to sell the stuff into besides the standard CL/EBAY/ etc. For me, I take less money on any one particular item in order to keep product turning over and cash flowing... Thoughts anyone??
This could be a decent job buying lockers but when everyone is starting to do the same thing there is too much supply and not enough demand.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
I have worked for the US Postal Service as a clerk for 12 years (no jokes please, I've heard them all ;)). Currently I work 2-10 AM sorting packages. Worked this shift for 10 years until my job maintaining and operating high speed letter sorting machines was eliminated. Took 2 years to get a chance to bid back. This shift works for family and auction hunting. I have a BS degree in biology but went to work with the Post Office to quit traveling when children came into the picture. Live a mile from my office and never looked back. Not a fan of union workplaces so I live in constant conflict. Auction hunting scratches my capitalistic itch.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2011, 07:21:12 AM »
One good thing about the Post Office -- it's over 200 years old and yet it's never been hindered by progress.  8)

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
One good thing about the Post Office -- it's over 200 years old and yet it's never been hindered by progress.  8)
or by being a failure in general.  Free market ftw.  how many companies do you know that can run in the red every year and continue to operate.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:42:43 PM »
In reguard to the USPS , try pricing the postage AND day in and day out reliabilty of any other postal service in the world. I'm not saying their 100% but they do better on average than anyone else.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
In reguard to the USPS , try pricing the postage AND day in and day out reliabilty of any other postal service in the world. I'm not saying their 100% but they do better on average than anyone else.
Pricing the postage??  they were 53,000,000,000 in the red last year.  They are giving it away.  Not a very good business plan, then again its a government entity....
UPS and Fedex would be much cheaper as well if they could simply print the money that they need.

xx
More good storys "Fake Storage Wars loses its luster"

Started by bwd111

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:06:27 AM
by MovieMan
xx
Facebook Page for "Official" Storage Wars New York Fans

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 01:31:09 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Auctioneer goes "postal" when toes enter locker edge !

Started by MovieMan

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 03:32:32 PM
by Ironman