Storage Auctions

My full time "other job" is

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
Re: My full time "other job" is
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
Chefj you've been sniffing to many fumes in the kitchen. ::) First, the P.O. lost approx. 8 billion in fiscal year 2010. Second, the P.O. does not use 1 dollar of taxpayer money ( Postal Reorganization Act of 1970). Third, the P.O. kills UPS and Fed Ex in shipping costs on small items (1st class), Priority and media mail. Fourth, privatization of the P.O. will end universal service to every box every day as many areas will not be profitable. This would have a major negative impact to our online businesses. The P.O. has many problems no doubt, but lets get some facts in the conversation.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 10:11:28 PM »
Either way its hemorrhaging money left and right.  It was set up to be revenue neutral and obviously its not.  Its also setup as a monop[oly which is and was foolish.  To many unions running around controlling their govt. goons.  RIP Ronald Reagan, but I wish we had someone with your juevos running the show.

Hey Drew, any possibility of setting up a politics/current events forum?

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »
No hard feelings ChefJ. I don't care for unions either, especially in govt. Ronaldus Maximus is also a hero of mine, miss him greatly.

Offline acman

• Buying lockers without paying retail, FTW!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
My full time job is Direct Care Work(fancy and PC name for Adult mentally challenged babysitter).  Only am staying at this job because I need health insurance and for me to go independent health insurance on a startup business would not be cheap.  My hope is that I am bringing in enough cash in by next year that I can get health insurance and drop down to part time at this company.

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Programmer / Analyst for a healthcare billing company for last 15+ years.  So I have some flexability to take long lunches for those 11am auctions close by.  Got into estate auctions with father when we needed various equipment, supplies, etc. for the house.  Now we are getting into storage auctions since he has retired for the second time.

Don't think many people do this full-time unless their spouse has a full-time job.  Everyone that I know needs that medical insurance.

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
I was laid off last September. I worked in benefits consulting and administration for 25 years. I'm trying to retire as I can't imagine ever working a 9-5 (or, in reality, 7-6) job again. Looking to build a small, ongoing business in storage lockers to supplement my retirement income.

I'm working most aggressively now on finding the best mix of outlets for selling goods. I've got a booth at a multi-dealer shop connected to a flea market (primarily for small stuff), Craigslist and a local consignment shop for furniture and eBay for good quality clothes and collectibles. I've also started using a local live auction house for collectibles, especially those that I can assemble into lots. I think they'll be a good, steady source of income.

One thing I'd like to cultivate in the coming months is a network of individuals who will buy items from me to recondition and resell (or just resell in general). The pure dollar value of each sale will be lower but there'll be less time invested in making the sale. And, no fees paid to eBay, the consignment shop or the auction house.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
I was laid off last September. I worked in benefits consulting and administration for 25 years. I'm trying to retire as I can't imagine ever working a 9-5 (or, in reality, 7-6) job again. Looking to build a small, ongoing business in storage lockers to supplement my retirement income.

I'm working most aggressively now on finding the best mix of outlets for selling goods. I've got a booth at a multi-dealer shop connected to a flea market (primarily for small stuff), Craigslist and a local consignment shop for furniture and eBay for good quality clothes and collectibles. I've also started using a local live auction house for collectibles, especially those that I can assemble into lots. I think they'll be a good, steady source of income.

One thing I'd like to cultivate in the coming months is a network of individuals who will buy items from me to recondition and resell (or just resell in general). The pure dollar value of each sale will be lower but there'll be less time invested in making the sale. And, no fees paid to eBay, the consignment shop or the auction house.

What state are you in

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2011, 09:18:53 PM »
Jross - Massachusetts, about 20 miles west of Boston. We chatting on another thread about your desire to move to New Bedford in a few years.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2011, 09:25:55 PM »
Jross - Massachusetts, about 20 miles west of Boston. We chatting on another thread about your desire to move to New Bedford in a few years.

lol, sorry, sometimes I get bad memory with names. Well when I do make the move up there, I would buy from you, as long as the price is right, for wooden furniture that needed work. As well as a few other things.

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:31 PM »
I clean residential foreclosures part time.  In this business it's about who you know in order to get any contracts.  Most times it can be dirty work but always profitable because you get paid by the asset mgnt company or a real estate agent or by the bank.  The other part to profiting from this is to come across a property that still have stuff inside.  First you scout the property for scrap metal and take it to the scrap yard and the rest if salvageable you can sell on craigslist, flea market, yard sale or however you want with it.  The downside to getting paid is it usually takes 30 days before you see a check, also you should have several others working with you or you will get burned out quickly.

Would love to learn how to expand into that business, Insight.  I'm an appraiser in Georgia, and that could be a good supplement to my income.

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »
Drywall contractor in ATL business is picking up I have been
slamed the whole month of Dec with work

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
Vice President - Operations/Sales.  Went to first "locker" auctions today.  The one main difference I saw was pricing was stupidly high!?!?!?!  No clue what people were buying.  The items we could identify would sell for half what was paid at an estate auction.  Apparently I need to buy a couple to see what all the money being spent is for?

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »

I know it doesnt have much to do with anything, but Ive been to that Bob's Tires in New Bedford a few times...first time I went, I ended up going up one of the one way streets the wrong way..lmao...nice little town, but not for tractor trailers.

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
Cranky, not sure of you are still following this, but I must live very close to you, as I am almost 20 miles west of Boston. Let me know if you end up with any fairly new (new within last three years) computer/technology equipment. I am always looking to buy at the right price to resell to my small business clients.

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 12:50:01 PM »
We own a chimney repair/cleaning business. I sell on eBay to supplement income during slow season and for Christmas money. I love garage sales and resale stores. We bought our first locker yesterday (nice already having a truck and enclosed trailer). We will see how it goes.

xx
More good storys "Fake Storage Wars loses its luster"

Started by bwd111

1 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 11:22:25 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
GoogleTrends analysis of interest in the term "Online Storage Auctions"

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2013, 08:06:27 AM
by MovieMan