Storage Auctions

Any boardies into hoarding copper pennies and or buying copper ingots/bars?

Ya - I've looked into buying a Ryedale years ago when they first came out.  Just couldn't talk myself into it.  I'm a member of a numastic forum that talks a bunch about coin sorting and stuff.  From pennies up to half-dollars and everything else you can think of.  With my kids we do a ton of searching by hand.  Is fun and a good way to spend time with them.  I'll check out the link.  Thanks for it.

If I'm going to spend $500-$600 I'll get a smelter and ingot maker first.  That way I can make my own gold, silver, and copper bars.  Can't melt US cents but can melt everything else.  I get a fair amount of copper from my world coin lots.  Working to seperate them now by country and KM number so that I can update my collection.  The rest I'm going to re-sale or save to melt.

Since I'm in IT I save all of the power cords and stuff also.  Be surprised how many boxes of cords you can accumulate.  Trying to figure out a way to strip off the case covers and everything on some of these computers but we surplus them so can't really do it.  See a ton of metal going to surplus that I could get a few $$ for if we didn't.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
ryedales are cool but unless yoursorting hundreds of dollars a week and selling your sort on ebay its not really worth buying one. I forget what I worked out but its a HUGE amount you'd have to sort just to makeyour money back. plus like you said hand sorting is fun and that way you dont miss out on steel pennies, wheaties, indian heads, etc. i like my machine because i can quickly sort pre82 from post 82 and then i have a smaller amoun to hand sort from wheaties nad indian heads

some people sell some cool home foundry kits and melt old copper pots and pans and scrap copper. if your burning wood nad making your own charcoal costs are probably not terrible but most people seem to use propane and your fuel costs are going to outweight any metal profits. if its just a cool hobby cool but if your looking at it as an investment or to sell the ingots you probably wont be profitable

I'm not really looking to do this stuff for investment but for fun.  I have a laundry list of projects I would like to try from a redneck cooler to automatic wire strippers.  I was watching some of the DIY youtube videos of various foundries.  I like to tinker with stuff and love to scavenge.  Is what got me into estate auctions, and now storage auctions.  If I find the tools, parts, oddities, that I could use for other projects that is great.  Also need various stuff around the house.  So for me I suspect I may end up keeping more stuff then selling at first.  I have even been known to stop and dumpster dive at times.

It's amazing how much waste and good scrap you can find in like construction dumpsters.  When my daughter was ice skating we would put on ice shows.  A few of us parents would make all the props and such.  Well this one guy had 40 acres of stuff.  He was in construction and had just about anything you could think of.  He taught me who to talk to at construction sites to get free material.  During the housing boon when there were 4-6 large subdivisions going in at once I could fill up my trailer with 2x4s and such that the only thing wrong with them was 3 nails and some calculations.

I have a jar for clad coins, one for copper pennies, one for wheaties, one for nickels.

Then I have my huge ass lot of silver coins.  SAE's, Bars and dimes, a few quarters.

Im keeping all of it, I am a firm believer that the S will hit the F VERY soon. 

Food/ Water
Guns/ Ammo
Silver

Im prepped.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
I have a jar for clad coins, one for copper pennies, one for wheaties, one for nickels.

Then I have my huge ass lot of silver coins.  SAE's, Bars and dimes, a few quarters.

Food/ Water
Guns/ Ammo
Silver

Im prepped.

What no gold bars from storage lkrs?  ;D

Food/ Water
Guns/ Ammo
Silver

Im prepped.

OK, I'm curious, what is it you think is going to happen exactly? I know times have been tough lately and things might get worse, but do you really think things are going to devolve into a Mad Max type post-apocalyptic world?

As far as the topic goes, I collect coins, but I just can't get into modern Lincoln cents. The mintage is too high for them to ever really be that collectible. I guess if the melt ban is ever lifted someone could make some money hoarding tons of them, but it's not like the price copper is likely to sky rocket enough to make a modest collection that valuable. 

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
OK, I'm curious, what is it you think is going to happen exactly? I know times have been tough lately and things might get worse, but do you really think things are going to devolve into a Mad Max type post-apocalyptic world?

As far as the topic goes, I collect coins, but I just can't get into modern Lincoln cents. The mintage is too high for them to ever really be that collectible. I guess if the melt ban is ever lifted someone could make some money hoarding tons of them, but it's not like the price copper is likely to sky rocket enough to make a modest collection that valuable. 

Watch these videos about Argentina's economic/currency collapse in 2001. I think there is a better than 50/50 chance of someting very similar happening here. There are 12 parts, if the link doesn't work just type in Argentina economic collapse in Youtube.

I don't think it will get "madmax" style, but my preparations will get me through something like that. I do think that store shelves will be empty because the cost of food is going to skyrocket.  I think once our dollar collapses, we will have a brief period of time that will see silver being used as currency until a new financial system can be established. During this brief period of time, people will go hungry. This happens in other countries all the time. We just don't think it will happen to us.  It will, debt to GDP says it will.  Not a matter of IF but rather WHEN.  I think in the next five years, maybe sooner.

Basically, everything that our gov't has done has done absolutely nothing for the economy and we are fast approaching 100% debt to GDP (100% debt to GDP on Halloween).  Factor in a trade war with China and our exposure to european banks in the form of credit default swaps, and we have a recipe for disaster.  The gov't fix is stimulus, which fixes nothing.  The job bill creates zero growth.  Anyone can pay someone to dig a hole and fill it back up; fixes nothing, only makes it worse because now we are spending money on a "fix" that fixed nothing.  Sure, roads will be smoother, bridges will be better built, but what does that matter when the factories aren't putting out the products?

I suggest watching two videos on youtube, first is a YT search for "Peter Schiff was right".  This guy predicted everything that happened so far, and the YT videos show "financial experts" literally laughing at him.  The second video I would recommend, "Peter Schiff testifies before congress".  Two MUST WATCH videos.  The congress video is great, he really spelled out to congress what will happen in the very very near future.

As another posted already said, check argentina, zimbabwe and the weimar republic for some examples of how government printing of money has caused financial collapse in their own countries.  With the USA, it will be ALOT worse.  We are the reserve currency of the world.  Once other countries find another safe haven, we will truly be screwed.  Once OPEC prices oil in something other than the USD, we will be screwed.  The government is already borrowing 40% of all the money we spend, with zero intention of every paying any of it back.  The fix?  Borrow more.  Its not a democrat thing or a republican thing, this is a government thing. When Nixon took us off the gold standard, that was our undoing.  We became a completely fiat currency at that point in time, we also became the reserve currency. Now if keynesian history repeats itself (which it will), then that means the US had 40 years before the currency became 'worthless'.  We hit that 40 year mark last month and we are now seeing a 98% reduction in the value of a dollar.  That means what costed 2 cents in 1971 will cost us a dollar now.  Ahh, gotta love inflation right? US citizens are being robbed in the form of inflation. 

Not me.  I hedge with metals, cant rob the value of a metal and history has proven time and again that silver and gold are always the goto currency when a fiat currency collapses.  ALL FIAT CURRENCIES COLLAPSE.  There is not a fiat currency ever, in the history of any country in the world, that hasn't collapsed. We are no different, we aren't special.  We just have a country full of ignorant people that thing 'it wont happen to us, we're the usa'.  Truth is, those are going to be the people that will starve.

I could go on and on but I really suggest searching the youtube videos I mentioned above, they spell it out in clear terms.  Once watching those, you'll see things in a different light.

Youtube search for:

Peter Schiff was right
Peter Schiff testifies before congress (this one is really recent, last couple months)

xx
5 Pound Copper Bars For Sale $50 Per Bar Free Shipping

Started by rulesforrebels

3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2011, 08:39:29 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
whats the current price per lbs of copper wire?

Started by BigBizzz

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 06:40:41 PM
by craiglstauction
xx
Hello boardies

Started by elninbo

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2012, 04:40:30 PM
by elninbo
xx
Two 1909 VDB Pennies