Storage Auctions

Businesses cutting back outlets !

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Businesses cutting back outlets !
« on: March 06, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »
Even though the economy seems to be picking up several big retailers are cutting back on sales outlets in an effort to improve the bottom line.

On March 5, 2014 Radio Shack announced the closure of about 20% of its stores. An executive even commented that oversaturation was a problem within a five mile radius of his home. There were five Radio Shack stores in that radius. Guess he wouldn't have a problem with them delivering to his home either !

On March 6,2014, Staples the office supply company announced cutting out about 12% of THEIR stores.
So much for the double-meaning of the "staples" name !

Still, it's every company's responsibility to make economies of operation pay the bills efficiently.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Businesses cutting back outlets !
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »
I've been watching the retail industry for some time now. My stock market plays have been short positions in the retail sectors the past 4 or 5 months. J.C. Penny is one of my biggest plays at the moment and should bring me many thousands of dollars near term. Bon Ton stores and Radio Shack are two others on my radar, but after today I'm going to have to start looking into Staples as well.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 11:00:50 AM »
Our local Staples store was on the chopping block, but our city staff and members of the community petitioned staples, and due to the large response from our community they decided to leave it open. It is good for our community because it is the only office supply store in town, and kind of good to hear a corporation will listen to a community that depends on it.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 06:25:51 PM »
I've been watching the retail industry for some time now. My stock market plays have been short positions in the retail sectors the past 4 or 5 months. J.C. Penny is one of my biggest plays at the moment and should bring me many thousands of dollars near term. Bon Ton stores and Radio Shack are two others on my radar, but after today I'm going to have to start looking into Staples as well.

I do think Radio Shack is on the right track. I like the new layouts of their stores and their advertising campaigns have been really funny lately. Products are still overpriced, but where else are you going to go if you need a capacitor on the fly?

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
I just don't see Radio Shack being around in another five years.  It has been steadily declining for years and not that many people are out looking for a capacitor these days.  How many of those $1.99 parts do they have to sell to pay for that expensive mall space and employee wages?  I used to love going there, but even with their update they still seem outdated and they don't have the employees with the vast knowledge like they used to.....in my opinion it is a dying franchise.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:45 PM »
I just don't see Radio Shack being around in another five years.  It has been steadily declining for years and not that many people are out looking for a capacitor these days.  How many of those $1.99 parts do they have to sell to pay for that expensive mall space and employee wages?  I used to love going there, but even with their update they still seem outdated and they don't have the employees with the vast knowledge like they used to.....in my opinion it is a dying franchise.

I agree that it is dying, still makes me a little sad, there isn't one in my town(used to be). So everytime I suddenly have an electronic repair I want to do quickly, I can't. I have to order my parts online and wait for them to come in. Sometimes I am just to impatient. >:(

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
The problem with Radio Shack is they got away from the electronic component market and tried to break into the electronic equipment market with substandard products. Realistic was never a quality product, even though they priced it as such.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
I personally think the only thing that's keeping them afloat is their mobile phone and accessory sales. Apple & Samsung account for a majority of the mobile phone sales in this country. With the growing number of Apple stores and the new "Samsung Experience" in Best Buy locations, it's going to be hard for Radio Shack to compete in years to come.

xx
Recycling Outlets

Started by rojoepeters

2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 05:01:17 PM
by rojoepeters
xx
Seasoned Storage buyer in tennessee looking for more sales outlets

Started by bakerben

0 Replies
Last post May 30, 2014, 05:03:52 PM
by bakerben