Storage Auctions

What other furums do you all participate on?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
What other furums do you all participate on?
« on: July 10, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
I love forums. Especially when you need information about a subject in detail.

I had been looking for an ice maker for a Kenmore refrigerator. Everywhere I looked, I couldn't find the right one. Even called Sears and Kenmore to find the part. They couldn't find it.

My last ditch effort was an appliance forum. I posted the model number and some photos. About an hour later, someone made a post informing me that LG actually manufactured this refrigerator even though it says Kenmore. They also posted a link to the part at an e-commerce store and the part number. Sure enough, it was the right part. This made my day.

Anyway, I don't participate on any other forum besides this one, but I do read some other forums and occasionally ask a question or make a comment.

What other forums do you guys like and do you actively participate on any of them?

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
Re: What other furums do you all participate on?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
I don't participate in any other forum but do use them a lot as a resource.
Especially when working on cars.  Work arounds, diagnostic....
Just a few months back I needed to replace my cabin filter.  I looked all over on how to do it.
No clue.   The dealership wanted $49.95 for filter and $99.99 labor.  Total with tax/shop fees...$171.??

For a cabin filter?!  F*ck that. 

Jumped on forums.
Found my cabin filter is the exact same as some Honda, just Honda one has these tabs to slide into place.  Cut off tabs....now have a filter or $7.99.

Labor?  Pop glove box out.  Hidden screw behind, up, in, how-did-they-even-put-it-there place.
Bam! Filter out, new in. 

Never Done it before and took literally 3 minutes.

Only problem I've found on forums is you get a lot of opinions or guesses.
When I was shopping for Tin to reline my pans I got a lot of people guessing on what I should use.
A lot of the suggested places to buy had lead base or other toxic chemical.  They were all electronics people, I needed food grade resources.   Same with flux.  Got a lot of guys telling me to use only such-n-such flux when tinning copper.....only the stuff was toxic as h*ll! 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: What other furums do you all participate on?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:10:45 AM »
I'm fairly active on a few automotive related forums.