Storage Auctions

I'm outa stuff....

Offline Alias

• View Profile
Re: I'm outa stuff....
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
HA! Great minds work alike!
THAT one IS on my mantle. lol

Put that one up cause it has a lot of pyrite along the top so is all sparkly. :)
It has a really nice spot of gold and really want to break it to see if it's just a trace or a big nugget inside!

Another one is quartz with a strip of granite and thru the granite is a vein of gold sitting on vein of silver like racing stripes. After some practice, that one will be cut. Thinking a nice policed face and rough edges.
If I can it will be cut in half and be book ends....

Mine is rated at 7oz/ton for gold. So under $100 in it if you average it out. Each rock has potential for ounces in it.....or nothing.

Another batch is on it's way next week. Hopefully along with an assortment of crystals.

I'll send ya some if any make it thru shipping. They seem to sell well at flea and yard sales.
Haven't figured out a way to get them here tho.

From the mountain it's a two hour, rough, ride.
2-3 hour, even rougher, boat trip that all cargo is strap'd on deck.
Then a bush plane ride,
And then packed on a commercial jet.
All without any padding or packaging cause you cant bring in anything that isn't crucial cause of space.
Do the best you can with clothing.....

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 03:57:38 PM »
Pretty much still outa stuff....
Thanks to Craiglstauction's donation of cell phones to practice on I've learned that I'm not so good ST cell phone repair.  lol
Have tools and parts on order from china so haven't got to deep into it but not nearly as easy as iPod battery/screen replacement.

And the rocks sell but not much money in that. Really need to get on making them into things, book ends or what not. But arm is still limiting my abilities in manual labor.
Anxious to get on it tho even just at hobby level. Not a rock hound myself but really interesting talking to the guys that are. Amazing how some of them can look at my rocks and instantly tell they are from Alaska.

Hit some auctions this week with no luck. Another I'm thinking about in the morn.
This morn (and thru Sunday) im hitting the estate sales.

Got some really old tins and medicine bottles for $0.25/ea. And some old ceramic figures that I thought were underpriced but got home and researched a bit more and not really. Wont loose money but gonna be more hassle than it'd worth I think...

Hopefully by next week I'll have something worthy of sharing......

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
With you on the slow end and not adding much content.

Good luck on the hunt this weekend.

Had plans to hit a pallet auction but now looks like Husband has to work. Don't think I could load a pallet by myself.  With both arms.  ;D

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:48 PM »
With the spring weather all the yard sales have started back up here in GA.  I've spent the last 2 saturdays doing more picking in prep for the 5th then doing auctions.  Some people want almost retail for the items, but many others have good prices.  I almost always offer them 1/2 of what they are asking or package deals.  Gotten a few NO but get more OKs or counter offers then not.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
Today's estate sales went well. Some small, inexpensive, easy to sell items picked. Tools and crap. $5-$20 profit range.

Got a few low ball bids out. Doubt I'll win.

Did get a brand new, top of the line, electronic money counter for $20. Lists for $500. Used are still $300 range.

And then....drum roll please!?!.....a 1960s Eames chair for $50!
Condition it's in? $500-$600 chair.
Get my interior guy to re-leather it and we're talking $1500-$2000!
Hard part will be selling it. Not finding a buyer, I have an outlet for chairs. But ACTUALLY selling it.
I love that chair!

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 05:33:06 AM »
But ACTUALLY selling it.
I love that chair!

Don't you hate that.

We picked up an old sideboard, tiger wood, not the greatest condition but nice. We love it. Got it and a TV for $50. Sold the TV for $36 (thrift). So we are out $14. Have it on CL for $350. Easy to say if we don't get what we want then we will keep it.  ::).  Nice math did not figure in the gas and time.  ;).  We did get other things there that covered that.

Sounds like you did good picking.

Plan for the day is to re-purpose stuff or throw it away.  Wish me luck.

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Nice math did not figure in the gas and time.

My friend didnt understand the gas thing.  I made some "jokes" about it hoping he would kick in a few bucks.
He'c never been to estate sales and after a few was hooked.
I had a nice list and it went in a circle so wasn't driving all over. He was trying for going to this one and that one....things 60miles round trip outa our way!

As it was I spent $25 in gas. So when he asked to go yesterday I told him sure but HE buys the gas.
We didn't go. lol

I'm heading down south soon to do some pick'n.  Hit Oklahoma City and Dallas area for sure. Depending on if I have time, I'm thinking of driving over to panama city, with a weekend stop in NOLA just because I really like it there.  Oh, and the 20hour lay over in Vegas! That's just for fun too!  ;D

But anything I pick, air/hotels/car/gas/food.......will NOT be included in the items price. Looking at it as a vacation and picks are just a bonus

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 04:04:26 PM »
Have fun on your vacation, Hope you find some good picks.

Funny how people don't realize the total cost of things....If it is a hobby fine but when you are trying to make money you have to count what cost.

Can't believe your friend didn't go.... LOL

Posted some pics in the mattress thread got a few things done this weekend.  ;D

My husband has a rock from Vegas and it only cost him $3000.00  ;).

Offline Alias

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:45 PM »
So close to being on the road....
Just gotta drive over to Eastern Washington Monday morn to fight that ticket then a redeye out that night.
There are a huge number of estate sales this coming week in both the Dallas area and Oklahoma City but looking at the pictures it's not my sort of things....
Game plan is to find an area that has multiple sales then see if there is anything I wanna do in that area, if so...I'll hit the sales.

Hopefully find something. My flight home has "one checked bag free" and I travel with just a carry-on. So I as long as things don't add up to over 50lbs I can get it home free! ;)

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:45 PM »

Have a safe trip and find some light picks.  ;)

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
Pick'n hasn't been great.  Found some nice things with profit margin but all to big/heavy to transport.
Had some estate sales lined up for today but instead took my niece to the Fort Worth zoo. Priorities ya'know.   

Think I might just go lay down some wagers on the ponies tomorrow.  Odds of making money might be better.  ;D
......actually.....with the gas it takes to get around down here ..... That might be true. lol

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:29 AM »
Back home.
Good times with niece and new born nephew.

Didn't get around to much pick'n.  Estate sales were mostly big items.
No nearby auctions that fit my time frame.  Obviously had to be in the first few days and small units so I'd have time to clean/sort and ship. Though my brother said if I did get something he'd eBay/CL and take a cut. But I'm a "no partners" guy. I'll pay you a set amount to help with something or commission on individual piece but that's it.

So came back with some trinkets. Rusted spurs. Hand made jewelry. Nice old holster.
No clue if I'll make money. Just looked cool so are in the category off if I can't sell I'd like to have them anyway so not a loss.
Also, some rocks for the old guy at he swap. Another thing I have no idea if he'll want but didn't cost anything to carry them home so....?
And then the weirdest item I've ever carried on a plane and wasn't even sure it's legal.....
Turtle shells.  Found some while hiking. Sun bleached. Clean. 
Figured down there they are common but here?    Maybe some will be intrigued. Again, free so why not......

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
Again, free so why not......

FREE = GOOD  ;D

Good luck!

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 12:37:36 PM »
Been running dry of good stuff lately myself. I had a nice run of buying and upgrading old computers to Windows 7 but the storage auctions have been dry for me lately.

Too many people bidding each other up on junk. I had a unit last most that had a lot of good but heavy furniture. It also had a lot of junk ( over 200 VHS movies, over 200 cassette tapes, DVD which I find myself watching instead of selling). This unit cost me $5. This person had $15 in change and some collectible coins so I instantly made a profit. I been selling off the little stuff on online sites but most of my money is from large lot of stuff that I buy on Craigslist. I gave away the furniture not wanting to deal with it.

I like doing the storage auctions but the best stuff is either too high for me or located too far away.  I'll give it a couple of more months it should turn around soon.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
Looks like I might go from no inventory to more than I can handle.

Dad called and said he wants to sell my grandma's old house.
Said whatever I can sell, sell it, keep the profit.  Going to take a week, full time, to halfway inventory the place.
Luckily my grandma was an organizer. "Everything in its" place type

Depending on what's there I'll decide on eBay/CL or just go estate sale route. Most likely both.

I know the furniture is still there. Most of it my great-great grandmothers. Really nice hand made stuff.
And the china, which isn't a great seller these days, is there. Most likely have to piece it out online.

Think the major money is in the shop.  My grandfather was a tinker type.  Lots of old school tools. Only a few medium/high dollar value items but the shear volume will add up if I go estate sale route.

Best part is the family just wants the house empty and it's all profit so I can accept low ball offers.

Downside, I have a money grubbing aunt that if she catches wind of this she is gonna want to get involved, do no work and expect a payday. And she is one of those that bases worth off of what she thinks things are worth. No research. No appraisals. If she's involved I think my plan of under pricing and moving the items quick will not be tolerated.

Once I get it inventoried I'll post a link of pictures and if any of you think there is a gem there I'll give ou first crack and at a hell of a deal.   This isn't going to be about making money but getting the house empty fast so.......

xx
Best stuff I got was

Started by bwd111

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 07:11:57 AM
by Travis
xx
Aquarium stuff

Started by Mr Andersen

1 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 10:02:52 AM
by MovieMan