Storage Auctions

melting glass

melting glass
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
Does anyone ever find glass or ceramic kilns or stained glass in a locker? I am starting to look into this and wondered if anyone had found any and had trouble moving it or just went to dump or had any for sale. I am looking for anything having to do with glass fusing. 

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: melting glass
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:50 PM »
not sure if your still a member as limited posts and been a while but was just curious if you know about those "incsense burners" people make out of melted liquor bottles. ive seen them in the past but recently on a trip to mexico noticed some of these and thought they were really neat. was just curious how people melt the bottles but still keep the labels in tact.

Re: melting glass
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:12:25 AM »
rules I am still here lurking but decided to not get into the stoage auctions . I went to several in the memphis area and thought about it alot as I am retired and have the time and enough money to play, but realized that if I bought one what would I do with it ? I have very poor people skills and always hated the retail trade( father was a merchant) so I just lurk and listen. I don't know for sure what you are talking about but the only way I know to keep the label good would be to stand the bottle in a 5 gal. bucket of warm water for a day or so until the label falls off on its own then very gently lay on wax paper with another layer on top to keep it flat and lay a weight on it until it is completly  dry . While this is  happening the bottle is slumped in a kiln , after the label is dry and flat just use a childs glue stick to reapply. Does this help? The glass needs to be slumped in a kiln where to temp. can be controlled so it just doesn't become a puddle . I am in the process of learning to work with warm glass ie. slumping,  fusing, melting. that was the reason for my question in first post. I have found that the glass used in glass fusing is about 5 times as expensive as regular art glass used in stained glass which can't be used in fusing, any help?

xx
Have a Glass bottle

Started by jrossjr79

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 02:32:16 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Milk Glass

Started by Alias300

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 09:09:05 AM
by Cobia