Storage Auctions

old mattresses what do you do with them.

Offline terry

old mattresses what do you do with them.
« on: December 22, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »
I have not bid on unit because of too many old mattresses. Anyway to make money on them?

Re: old mattresses what do you do with them.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 12:26:02 PM »
I sell them all the time for 50-100 bucks depending on the condition and brand, sometimes more if they have a nice head/foot board and frame.  If they are really bad though, you are pretty much stuck with a dump fee.

Offline terry

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
maybe I need to change my outlook didn't bid on unit because I didn't want to deal with the mattresses s. I think its my wife fault

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »
Yea I haven't had a mattress I couldn't sell yet...If you can't sell one cause its kind of old or something throw it on craigslist in the free section and I am sure someone in need will come snatch it up... better than paying a fee to dump it!

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
I have managed to sell one mattress set in all the years I have done auctions. I have been able to give them away on Craigslist.  The one I sold was new still in the bags with prices still on it.  I normally take them right to the dump just to get rid of them they are normally stained and ripped.

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 10:51:42 PM »
  Here In Mass. it is Illegal  to sell a used mattress unless it has been sterilized by a " State Approved and Licensed Company "
  It is also Illegal to dispose of a mattress in a landfill or transfer station as ordered by the State D.E.P. , it cost Me anywhere from $ 40 to $75 to dispose of one at a licensed Recycling Center. 
   Don't even ask about a pint of oil paint found in a storage locker , I have to take it to a Hazardous waste facility 30 mi. away at a cost of $ 2.50 a lb.
   Bob

Town of Natick 
Paint Swap Shed
     The Paint Swap Shed  closed as of June 1st
2009. Paint can be brought to Clean harbors
facility in Braintree. They are located at 1 Hill Ave
Braintree MA. 02184. They are open on
Saturdays from 8: 00 AM to 12:00 PM at a cost of
$2.50 per pound. 

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
Have you ever considered moving? ;D

Sucks to be the guy that just bought a unit with six mattresses hiding in the back!  Ouch!

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 06:26:06 AM »
Glad I live in the south. Any unwanted items go to our property out west of town. Once there is enough, we have a bonfire ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
Hey Bandit.

There are ways to go around that.

Take a knife, cut of the fabrick and put it in garbage bags, then you throw it away.
The metal springs you can sell as scrap metal, not that it is gonna make you rich. But if you get enough matresses during the year you can save it up and get a few bucks for it.

Same with boxsprings, and with boxsprings you have wooden frame, well cut it up into pieces, and pack in clear bags, and sell it as firestarter wood.

It is only your imagination and fantasy who set limits on how to make money and save on fee's

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
That sounds like a plan. For me though, it's not worth the time, effort and cost to strip down matresses and box springs. If it's good enough to sell on CL it will, otherwise if it's marginal, it goes on CL for 1 week as free. If it's not gone by then it goes to a free thrift store near me that takes anything and recycles what they can't sell. It is a non profit and I get a tax write off with no dumping fees. Just my take on it.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:11:27 PM »
Amen STONEGUY!

Offline Bandit

• View Profile
    • Storage Battles
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 10:59:45 PM »
Glad I live in the south. Any unwanted items go to our property out west of town. Once there is enough, we have a bonfire ;D

We a definitely  looking at moving out of Taxachusettes  , just not sure of North to New Hampshire or Maine , or head South towards  West Virginia or Tennessee .
  But when I call and ask a realtor about the towns Trash program and there fees if any , instead of about there schools , I get usually a Long Pause . LOL
  We just need a Home Base  for most of the year , as we return to New England for the Fall Fair Season .
  Bob
  Ps.
  I have seen everyone walk away from a locker filled with some tools , mattress's ,  tires and old paint cans  except three  bidders that did not speak english and they got it for $ 25 .                                      ( We all looked at each other and wondered ? )
  Pps
  The Thrift stores around here will only take new wrapped mattress and box spring sets do to the laws.
  I have found a company local to me listed as a nationwide recycler  , but when I asked a couple of years ago , they only took truck loads from lic. recyclers , will have to call again ,  things might of changed ?                                                                                                                                       This is Them
nationwidemattressrecycling(dot)com/

xx
Mattresses!

Started by acman

19 Replies
Last post September 07, 2011, 09:23:51 PM
by Drew
xx
Mattresses

Started by money4nothing

28 Replies
Last post May 11, 2012, 05:08:30 PM