Storage Auctions

So what's everyone been up to?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
So what's everyone been up to?
« on: April 27, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
So what's everyone been up to? It's been kind of quiet around here. I've been remodeling AuctionsTX.com, so I haven't had much time to chat. Any good scores lately?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: So what's everyone been up to?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »
Work, auctions, I remodeled my guest bathroom, and just yesterday I finished installing color changing LED strips under my kitchen cabinets.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:27:38 PM »
Bought those 20 storage pods.  Got a lot of antiques and a black powder pistol and a bunch of Hummels, Waterford Crystal, etc......still have five I haven't even looked at yet.  Got a fighter pilot helmet that sold for $512 on eBay a few days ago.  Got a high end stereo from 30 years ago that is worth around 1200....everything is used but was repacked in the original boxes and it was in storage for almost 30 years and is in mint condition.  Good money in these but a lot of work to move that volume and go through it all.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »
Good money in these but a lot of work to move that volume and go through it all.

Yeah, well, at least it's keeping you busy. What year/model is the black powder pistol?

Work, auctions, I remodeled my guest bathroom, and just yesterday I finished installing color changing LED strips under my kitchen cabinets.

No kitchen is complete without color changing LED strips. Especially for the evenings you and the wife open a bottle of sangria and turn the disco music on.  ;)  TMI

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:45:11 AM »
No kitchen is complete without color changing LED strips.

I lit it mostly for lighting up the prep areas but went with color changing so I could adjust colors on a per holiday/event basis.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »
I'm not up to much auction wise. Full school load and volunteering in trauma at emergency department takes most of my time.

Hit some random auctions but it's been slow.  Crowds are pretty much back to just professionals but it's 20 people fighting over a few units.  But estate sale season is back so hopefully get some good picks.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 08:18:45 AM »
The online auctions are going WAY high in our area.  Haven't bought one in about 3 months...  Been hitting estate/yard sales for some good finds.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:34 AM »
The online auctions are going WAY high in our area. 

Fortunately that is a self-correcting problem. Those that buy high don't make money, so they get discouraged and quit.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »
Been selling mostly on eBay, ETSY, and Amazon  :051bye:

My area is more rural than most on this forum, and I got sick of going to low level auctions full of crap.  Even the whales weren't buying this stuff. 

Been picking a lot the last month, and planning on getting back to storage lockers in June - so will report what is happening in my area.

Good luck everyone!!   :13:

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:33:18 PM »
My area is more rural than most on this forum, and I got sick of going to low level auctions full of crap.  Even the whales weren't buying this stuff.

Have you looked into local police or town auctions?

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 09:24:00 PM »
It's weird - around here most of the seized and police auctions are for vehicles, 4x4s, etc.  But I am hitting a HUGE local auction/sale this weekend.  Been having most luck picking at antique stores and garage sales.  We had a couple long-time antique stores go out of business recently, so was able to pick up some inventory and some turn-and-burn stuff.  And been getting a few smalls at Goodwill.....so I guess the "scramble plan" is yielding minimal success for now.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »
6/20/15 - two local storage auctions (both owned by the same folks).  Location #1 had eight rooms listed in the paper - down to four when I called Friday night, and down to three on auction day.  (When I showed up I almost got run over by someone burning rubber out of the complex - must have been the 4th person paying up and getting the hell out of there!!)   :73:

#2 had five rooms listed in the paper - but was down to two when I called.   Yeah buddy!

To make a long story short, it was the same old story.  All five units for bid were junk, junk, and junk.  Broken particle board furniture, rusty lawn mowers, trashed matresses, etc. etc. etc.   The highest unit went for $200 (to the local whale) that included an exercise machine, two mid-century chairs, some bar stools (two broken) and two couches.  The rest of the units were covered in dust, but also were full of garbage and NONE had boxes, tool boxes, or anything that would contain mystery stuff.  It was "what you see is what you get."  Two units went for $5.

Yuck. :41:

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 01:14:49 AM »
I think I'd rather take my chances on a $5 lottery ticket. At least I don't have to pay dump fees if the ticket is a loser.