Storage Auctions

Ace in the hole ...

Ace in the hole ...
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:56 PM »
Purchased a couple of units yesterday ... This particular unit, was a 10 x 10, pretty standard stuf, nothing special -- crowd drove the price up a bit, I ended it at $400, about $200 more than I really -wanted- to pay ... Ah well ... Having gone through it quickly, it looked as though I had lost $400.

Went back today to dig it out, load it up and move it on out. During the dig, I located some jewels which will offset the loss and put some profit into the pocket.  Not alot, but enough...

1 of the rings was located in the bottom of a box, exposed, under a pile of junk paperback books.  The other ring was located in a box full of a small childs misc. toy items (army men, cars, cards, action figures ... etc.)  The other assorted jewels (and costume jewels not shown here) were also scattered around.

Never let a box go (or bag) without throughly checking it out -- You may overlook that ace in the hole that either makes it or breaks it for you, as it was in this particular case.

Happy Hunting!

Re: Ace in the hole ...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:48 PM »
Congrats on the jewelry!

Re: Ace in the hole ...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
DewGuru - congrats! I wholeheartedly agree with you on the need to closely review every box and container in the unit. Yesterday, I found a bracelet at the bottom of a box, mixed in with random loose change and paperclips. The box primarily held personal papers. When I picked up the bracelet, it felt too light for its size to be gold and I almost trashed it as junky costume jewelry. I put it aside, though, to double check. Turns out it was 14k and the links are hollow, making it lighter than you'd expect for gold. Should yield at least $250. Not bad for a $275 unit.