Storage Auctions

Finally a good one

Re: Finally a good one
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:49:12 PM »
I really don't mind saying that the storage facility was in Centerville, TN.  After all... I am in a Noobie status and already know the following moons have to come into alignment to find a special unit :

1) Do I have time to go to the auction ?
2) Do I have the $ to buy a unit ?
3) Do I have the space to store the inventory ?
4) Do I have time to process and sell the inventory ?
5) What is the weather the day of the auction ?
6) How many units are left by the time the auction starts ?
7) How many bidders are there and how many selfish people are present ?
8) Are there any decent units up for auction ?
9) Can I see anything from the door that justifies a bid let alone a high enough bid to win it ?
10) How far is it from my home and what does that equate to in gas $ ?
11) Do I have the ability to clean out the unit in the allotted time ?
etc..............

What are the chances that Centerville, TN is going to have another unit like this next time around ?  For me personally, I won't go there again as questions # 10 and 11 were not well thought out on my part let along the do I have enough time to deal with the processing and sales.

Good luck Cobia.... I hope you do go to the next auction and you do score a fantastic unit.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

What are the chances that Centerville, TN is going to have another unit like this next time around ? 

Well, the chances MIGHT be 1 in 100, but if that is true you have to look at 100 units there...might take a year or so. Then, if you saw another 100 units in the next year, maybe units 199 and 200 would be the 2 out of 200 that were GREAT.

I like your list of points for judging a unit's suitability for purchase !  ;D

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
Centerville is about 200 miles from me so it might as well be in another state. I would have more luck getting on a plane and flying to California and doing auctions with Movieman then trying to hit whatever auctions come up in Centerville again.

That was a fantastic unit, but 9 out of 10 times going to out of town auctions I see the same type of stuff selling for the same prices if not a little higher and then I have to make up the gas money and time, so I like to stay within 30 mile radius of home.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 02:32:50 PM »

That was a fantastic unit, but 9 out of 10 times going to out of town auctions I see the same type of stuff selling for the same prices if not a little higher and then I have to make up the gas money and time, so I like to stay within 30 mile radius of home.

That sums it up for me too. However, California auctions, contrary to TV show belief, are very similar to anywhere else.

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
However, California auctions, contrary to TV show belief, are very similar to anywhere else.

No don't tell.  We hear a long with your favourite "You never know"  Is " This is not California" Your letting the cat out of the bag.  ;)

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
No don't tell.  We hear a long with your favourite "You never know"  Is " This is not California" Your letting the cat out of the bag.  ;)

Here are some selected lyrics from “Not California” that are appropriate to our biz.

Later on you’re breakin’ the boxes down

Come a time when I may just walk away

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »
Here are some selected lyrics from “Not California” that are appropriate to our biz.

Later on you’re breakin’ the boxes down

Come a time when I may just walk away

Guess we will have to use these.  ;)

AND IT’S NOT TRUE

AND IT’S NOT FAIR

AND IT’S NOT NEW

AND IT’S NOT CALIFORNIA HERE

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
I had that parking garage when I was a kid.....Wow Im old......LOL

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:28:21 AM »
Just like what my domestic accomplice, a clutter-hating proponent of financial responsibility  always say with regards to storage,  ''Save the box. We're going to have to live in it someday.''

gets me to thinking sometimes LOL  ;D ;D

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 06:07:57 AM »
Just like what my domestic accomplice, a clutter-hating proponent of financial responsibility  always say with regards to storage,  ''Save the box. We're going to have to live in it someday.''

gets me to thinking sometimes LOL  ;D ;D

Love It.  :D

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:22 PM »
yes I say that a lot someday I will if I can't make money of these boxes I am hoarding now. ;D

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 04:29:13 PM »
Attended my first Flea Market as a Vendor today !!!!!   A very good experience all around and have a lot of confidence that I will do even better the next time around.   Sold a little from the latest unit and updated the stats below accordingly but mostly sold items from units purchased prior.   The primary lessons learned is ... watch out for those little scum bags that are making a deal for certain items they pull out and then suddenly change the deal to include other items.  Me personally, I told him to get the heck out of my booth.  Granted he came back and bought a lot more once the ground rules where established :)  Regardless, it was one heck of a day of dealing with folks that want something for nothing and convincing them to pay up anyways.

In Summary, my previous unit returns are looking a whole lot better for doing this and the big unit is getting better as shown below...  got a deal with a local auction house to sell the majority of the big unit in 3 weeks for a 20% cut so will update you all then on the results... wish me luck.

To-Date (fees not taken into account) :

Unit Purchased : $535
Gas                : $325
------------------------------
                       $860
Sold               : $482
                        56%

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »
Congratulations on a great unit.  You should be able to sell the fabric on eBay.  I have a friend who sells that stuff (bulk thread, fabric, misc.) and makes good dough.  There's actually a pretty good market for it.   ETSY is another good place to sell fabric.  Good luck - looking forward to updates!

Just following up on suggestions of "how to sell thread."  Here's a buddy of mine and his latest listing.  Thought this might help a little.  Will post more when I find more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Your-Color-Choice-of-Sewing-Surger-Quilting-Thread-from-American-Efrid-Inc-/320857152330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item4ab4939b4a

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 06:34:56 AM »
First the bad news, the Auction folks that I was banking on selling off this units worth of product flaked out with me.  After giving me a great sounding story, when I actually showed up the deal changed for the worse and I hit the road.  Attended the Flea Market 4 times to-date, granted this particular Flea Market is only open on Sundays and the Customers and Vendors pretty much disappear around 1pm so the selling window is small.  Been supplementing my storage unit product with deep discounted products from the local stores.  Been finding the store bought product has been selling great with a handful of storage unit items selling each week.  Over-all, the Flea Market has been turning out to be a profitable experience.  Especially when you consider it only takes up 1/2 of day / week to deal with.  Been selling a few of the items here and there on eBay also.  The big news is that the Match Stick Clock sold over the weekend for $1000 so that was very helpful and it went to a new home with folks that will really appreciate it.  The best news is that I found an Antique shop that is will to consign all of the product for only a 30% cut.  So, I plan on keeping the remaining product that I can get a better deal on eBay and send the rest to the Antique shop.

To-Date (fees not taken into account) :

Unit Purchased : $535
Gas                : $325
                       $860
Sold               : $1,676
                        195%

Summary / Lessons Learned : 
---------------------------------------
Buying is easy but until you have your sales side of the business built up your going to end up with a full garage for a long time.  So, lets hope we all have understanding spouses in the interim :)

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 05:32:37 PM »
Buying is easy but until you have your sales side of the business built up your going to end up with a full garage for a long time.  So, lets hope we all have understanding spouses in the interim :)

Hooooh yea I know how that is. I'm only 18, so I'm doing much smaller scale stuff with the help of my mother's van. She's VERY understanding and even drives the full-to-the-roof van to and from work  :o.

xx
Finally!

Started by FLPirate

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2011, 04:06:26 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Finally got what I was looking for!

Started by Alias300

3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2012, 10:35:40 AM
by money4nothing