Storage Auctions

First 2 feet and the unit is paid for

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
First 2 feet and the unit is paid for
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »
I bought 3 units today. The first two were just high end furniture that were obvious money makers. The third was a gamble but a I had a good feeling about it. You couldn't really see anything of value from the door but it was a 10X15 stacked to the ceiling. Most of the merchandise you could see was newer and you could tell that it was an there was an entire household inside the unit. Paid $460 for it.

Didn't have time to go through everything but we decided to look through some of the boxes up front. Right of the bat, 175 piece socket set, large military bag full of gear, jewelry box with a 14K gold & 3 carat ruby ring and two large 14K gold pendant ear rings, Dewalt bag full of tools, 15 +/- AR15 clips, newer digital camcorder, Ipod, Military Gerber, newer Pioneer car cd player and a lot more.

So, I'm not even a full two feet in this unit and it's already paid for. Can't wait to see the next 13 feet. Will post an update after I go through it this weekend. 

Best of all, I found out that the facility is allowing tenants to have a garage sale in the parking lot 20 days from now. The facility has plenty of parking and is located on the highway so it should be a high traffic sale.

Re: First 2 feet and the unit is paid for
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »
sound like you hit a few good  ones..

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 09:51:04 PM »
I bought 3 units today.

You did much better than me. I went to an auction today with 33 units and not one was worth buying.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
Sorry to hear that.

Actually, I was really surprised how cheap I got one of the units for. It had an almost brand new solid wood bedroom set in it (Good Quality). Probably cost eight or nine hundred when new. Full size headboard, foot board, side rails, dresser, mirror, night stand and a high dollar pillow top mattress (6" thick pillow top). The pillow top alone must have cost several hundred dollars. It also contained two boxes (that weren't visible from the door) which had some nice bedding and decorative items.

$180 for everything. This just reaffirms my opinion that most buyers don't want lockers that have no mystery. Mystery is great and all but I love a sure thing. Should triple my money on this unit.

The other unit is looking good as well. Paid $430 for it. Can already see my money back and a profit from the furniture alone. I've only gone through a few boxes but I can tell this lady had taste. I found several large antique pewter statues, Italian blown glass, porcelain dolls, a radio from the 1950's, a 7 foot oil painting on canvas. Still have half the unit to look through. I briefly opened several other boxes and they all appear to contain collectibles & expensive decorative items. Everything in this unit is bubble wrapped, which is what attracted me to it in the first place.

I'm going to have a busy Sunday. I've got a 26' U-haul reserved and a crew coming out to help me process everything. Feels like old times!

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
Good for you, enjoy. 

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:09:08 PM »
Cleaned out the units today and they turned out to be little gold mines...literally. Found 3 different jewelry boxes. Each jewelry box had a few pieces of gold and sterling. One contained a thick men's Italian chain (which I'll be keeping). All in all, 28 grams of 14K and 43 grams of 10K. I also found some really great antiques including a hand crank record player and turn of the century Asian furniture.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »
Not bad at all.  Hopefull my next units turn out that way.

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 05:18:37 PM »
Gotta love when a gamble pans out! Congrats on a good one.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Gotta love when a gamble pans out! Congrats on a good one.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
May I ask if these units are located in a more affluent area? I've wondered if storage units in wealthy areas yielded better results than poorer areas. 

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
May I ask if these units are located in a more affluent area? I've wondered if storage units in wealthy areas yielded better results than poorer areas.

Actually, the facility is located in a mixed use area. Some residential (mostly starter housing, apartments & mobile homes), churches, and light industrial/commercial. Try not to judge a book by it's cover. There is money to be made in all areas. As a matter of fact, some of the best units I've ever bought were in the worst parts of town.

xx
Most you've ever paid for a unit and what size was it ??

Started by Lockerfreq

11 Replies
Last post January 03, 2012, 08:40:57 AM
by Cobia
xx
Just paid 360 for a great unit today found

Started by bwd111

3 Replies
Last post August 24, 2011, 08:46:54 AM
by Drew
xx
500 Sq feet of dreams