Storage Auctions

Found a Rolex, or is it fake?

Found a Rolex, or is it fake?
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
Bought 3 units today..

First unit was a bust, some kids toys, but is basically a break even unit.

Second unit had about 20 1/18th scale die cast cars. None in boxes, but all in great condition. It's a very cool collection! BUT.. after I was done playing with cars, I pulled a box and started digging..

Picked up a watch, it says Rolex. A submariner. I know they're faked a lot, no box or paperwork with it.. and I'm not gonna find someone to authenticate at 1 a.m. But I definitely pee'd my pants a bit when I saw it. If it's a fake, it's a pretty good one in my book. I'd post pics, but again, it's 1 a.m.

I'll update when I find out what I've got!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Found a Rolex, or is it fake?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 02:02:29 AM »
I would just take it to a pawn shop. They'll take the back off and tell you if it's real. The good fakes have Japanese movements and are still worth good money. If it turns out to be a fake and it's in good condition, you might still be able to get $50-100 for it.

Some of the Rolex fakes are extremely elaborate. I've even seen a company that uses real gold cases and bands and genuine diamond bezels. People who just want the name would rather pay $3,500 than $35,000.

I would never buy one but if someone gave me a solid gold Polex...I'd wear it.  :D

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
I have the worst luck with watches.  Crack the face, break bands.....

Best watch I've ever had is my fake Rolex.  Cost $1 in Thialand.  Thing just keeps tick'n!

Anyway, two easier tells on the Submariner is the "date" box.  Should be a big number, takes up most of the box.  Should be clear, fakes distort at angle.  And number should be centered.

Second, there should be a rubber o-ring on the winding crown thingy. Unscrew it. Should be on the shaft.

Missing these you can be pretty sure it's fake.   Has them? could be real or a really good fake.

But like Travis said.  People are into those too.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:29 PM »
Turns out it's a fake. It's a good fake, though. No rubber washer on the dial.. The pawn shop wouldn't take it, but he said I should be able to get $100-$150 for it. Not a bad thing.. Just not sure how to sell it! Don't want to get in trouble for hocking fake merch...

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:13:07 PM »
Simply presenting an item for sale with a false trademark logo is a criminal offense, even if it is well known that the item is a fake.  That being said....wear it.  Selling its just a invitation for trouble you don't need.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:18:56 PM »
If its just one item and your not trying to sell as the real deal the authorities pretty much look the other way.  There is a risk but pretty low.

eBay is out.   Craigslist is a maybe.   Someone might flag it.

Car salesmen would be my first stop but I'm in the industry.   I know a lot of them since I'm on the lots around town.   But I've watched guys just pull up and sell those guys ties and shoes and watches....give it a shot.

Got any pictures?

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »
Watch batteries are super cheap at Harbor Freight. I bought 30 assorted for $5.00. Watches sell for more if they are working.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »
Great tip! I would have never thought of looking to harbor freight for watch batteries.

Sweet!

Here is another tip. Harbor Freight has cheap tools too.   :D

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
Here is another tip. Harbor Freight has cheap tools too.   :D

And they are inexpensive too!    :D

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:22:45 PM »
I don't have any pics of the watch.. I haven't even taken pics of what I want to sell online. I figured I'd take the watch up to the Flea Market, ask $200 for it, and let someone chew me down to $125.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »
I don't have any pics of the watch.. I haven't even taken pics of what I want to sell online. I figured I'd take the watch up to the Flea Market, ask $200 for it, and let someone chew me down to $125.

That's the first time I have ever heard someone use the term "chew me down." I have only heard the similar sounding antisemitic version.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
Well, when you're fat.. Chewing is on the top of the brain at all times!

xx
Has anyone ever found a Rolex?

Started by Travis

9 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 12:05:12 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
why no one will care if its fake or not

Started by fredgsanford

1 Replies
Last post January 04, 2013, 06:26:02 PM
by Findingtreasure