Storage Auctions

Got Another Unit

Offline ZoSo

Got Another Unit
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:54:33 AM »
The last unit I got rocked, close to 2,000 profit in one week.  The unit I got on Saturday...not so much.

First off, the crowd was large, full of newbies.  I'm guessing 60-70% of the 60 people were new.  This auction was well advertised.  Anyways, 11 units up for auction, the one I got looked interesting from the door.  It had a Star Wars foosball table, tons of totes and boxes, patio furniture, and and a crappy couch. 

I got it for $250, should've got it for about $50, but one geek was stuck on the foosball table.

Anyways, get it home start going through it and it's nothing but books.  Crappy, paperback, worn out books.  Hundreds of them.  By far the most garbage I have ever gotten out of a unit. 

I got real excited initially because I found an old Silverware set, and the first two pieces I checked were Kirk & Son (Ebay it if you don't know)  However, the rest was Communion 1936 Silver Plated, 66 pieces.  Should fetch about $50-100 for it.  Not as good if it were all Kirk and Son, than we're talking 1,200-2,000.   I did score 312 brand new golf balls still in their original packaging, already sold them $80 on CList. 

Also found a huge stamp collection, but upon further review, they may fetch only $20-$40 on ebay.
The Star Wars foosball table only sells for about $50, and the patio furniture I can maybe get $40 for.

Not a fan of this unit because 90% of it is trash, my God there is so much trash.  Including the mouse infested, chewed up couch.

If I'm lucky, I should make about $200 on this unit after dump runs, gas, and other expenses. 

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Re: Got Another Unit
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:13 AM »
Ah, the wonderful world of lkr buying !

One week you're at the top of Mt. Everest, the next week you're at the bottom of Death Valley.

But, that's the reality of the biz...full of peaks and valleys. Is it possible to have more valleys than peaks? It must take at least two peaks to make a valley...of course there CAN BE a LOT of valleys between two peaks, so I think that analogy works.

Anyway, you got a really good one before with all that good furniture.

Offline ZoSo

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »
9th unit of my career and by far the worst.  If it's not old crappy romance books, it's boxes and boxes of old office supplies.  I am now the proud owner of 1,000 of pens and pencils, post it notes, crayons, ect.  I did score a 1965 World Series Program between the Twins and Dodgers that I love (Twins fan) and they're actually kinda spendy on ebay, but I'm keeping it!

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
The trick is to make profit on even your most ugliest trashiest unit you buy. I have learned that with my last few lockers. Utter crap, low dollar items. But I still managed to make a little bit of profit, or at the very least have a good load of stock. Currently have $1000 in inventory. Most of which low dollar items which I plan to sell at flea market anywhere from 50 cents to $5. Most of it being in the one dollar range. I have lots of sports collectibles I still need to unload, roughly $300 on the low end. Then a few low dollar industrial antiques which should fetch around $50 for the lot. Damn ebay kills the collectibles area, lol. Then I still have a vintage golf set which I have priced at $125. A full low end china set that has been discontinued (retail is $120, so I have it marked for $40).

My first units I got I tripled my money on, these last few I is about only a 10% profit margin if that. Still a profit, just not as much as I was hoping.

Offline Drew

• Admin
    • View Profile
    • Online Storage Auctions
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
You win some ya lose some!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »
You could always market the rats as gerbils.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
You could always market the rats as gerbils.

I have a good market for snake food in my area, :)

xx
Comic book about gov't secrets getting auctioned off in a storage unit "Unit 44"

Started by StorageAuctionFinds

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
by alloro
xx
Don't touch things in the unit or Don't get caught touching things in the unit?

Started by Travis

3 Replies
Last post January 03, 2013, 10:13:18 AM
by craiglstauction
xx
What do you think the max should be for this unit?

Started by bwd111

14 Replies
Last post August 06, 2012, 09:47:02 AM
by bwd111
xx
What do you think max bid should be for this unit

Started by bwd111

21 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 05:11:29 AM
by 39shades