Storage Auctions

Making money on books

Re: Making money on books
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:26 AM »
Got the last payment from the first shipments of books yesterday.  Total so far over $465 ;D  One of the web sites CKY Books was much more seletive about condition and rejected 4 books on condition and reduced payment on 2 others.  I will not deal with them again unless they are the only site making an offer on the book.  Will be working on the remaining boxes next week since I am getting ready for flea market tomorrow.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Got the last payment from the first shipments of books yesterday.  Total so far over $465 ;D 

Your research and persistence at sending them your list of books for sale paid off!

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »
Book sale total $1260 from a $10 locker :o  So far I have sold over $100 of other items from this locker too ::)  This has been one of my best so far ;D

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »
Book sale total $1260 from a $10 locker :o  So far I have sold over $100 of other items from this locker too ::)  This has been one of my best so far ;D

Thank goodness for the physiologist, phenomenology and the other specialty items; meanwhile I’m getting Danielle Steel and Stephen King !  ;D

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 07:59:15 AM »
I've made I think $50 off a book I put up on half.com and a few bucks more on another "specialty" book that I almost tossed.  Like Movieman I have a bunch of the mass produced books that don't sell.  Any that are torn, worn looking, etc. I'm just tossing.  The others are in bin to be taken to second-n-charles one of these days for store credit.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:54 PM »
A while back, I bought two 10X15 units full of books for $250. It turned out to be the entire contents of a high school library. I took 75-100 boxes to my garage sales and sold them for $1-2 a piece and then I sold the other 8-10K books to a church that wanted to send them to Uganda. The best part was I didn't have to move most of them.

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 06:27:55 AM »
Got lucky again on a few books.  Bought two lockers last week for $125 while sorting found some college textbooks.  Sold and shipped a total of 5 books for $79.40 yesterday.  Donated a box of childrens books to a friend that runs a reading program charity.  Have a box of books for the flea next month.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 05:21:21 PM »
Got lucky again on a few books.  Bought two lockers last week for $125 while sorting found some college textbooks.  Sold and shipped a total of 5 books for $79.40 yesterday.  Donated a box of childrens books to a friend that runs a reading program charity.  Have a box of books for the flea next month.

If you haven't thought of it already, ask your friend to write you a receipt for the books so you can get a tax deduction. Everything counts!

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:45 AM »
Other then the few books I put up on half.com and sold, most of my books were donated.  Now I put them all in a box and take them to second-n-charles for trade-in.  Even if just get $.25 per book, it adds up quick.  This is mostly for the mass produced paperback books that are worth $.99 or so online.  Anything that they will not take due to overstock, etc. then goes to Goodwill for the tax write-off.

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned Amazon yet. Off of two lockers I bought about a year or so ago that I paid $10.00 and $150.00 for I've brought in over 11K in the last year selling on Amazon. I've still got over 2000 books left. Heck I sold one just yesterday for $249.00. It takes a little more time to list them, but I do it at night while watching TV and it beats selling the for 10%-20% or even less than their actual value to someone who's going to put them on Amazon anyway. Just a thought.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:48 AM »
Can't believe no one has mentioned Amazon yet. Off of two lockers I bought about a year or so ago that I paid $10.00 and $150.00 for I've brought in over 11K in the last year selling on Amazon. I've still got over 2000 books left. Heck I sold one just yesterday for $249.00. It takes a little more time to list them, but I do it at night while watching TV and it beats selling the for 10%-20% or even less than their actual value to someone who's going to put them on Amazon anyway. Just a thought.

Good point. In hindsight, I wish I would have sold the high school library that I purchased for $250 on Amazon. I should have taken my time and sold it piece by piece. If I had done so, I probably could have made 40K on all of them. Instead, I chose to flip them for a quick profit. At least they went to a good cause...the church I sold them to shipped them to Uganda to help people learn to read.

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »
I'm going to be trying Amazon this week for our books after reading all the success everyone has.  Those thousands of books we got have been good to us, but they are so much work.  Now I just go through and pull out anything over $10 value on Amazon, and put the rest in the garage sale pile to save time.  I sold another 2 textbooks (from a different unit) yesterday for $50 on Ebay and a single old book for $69, but on Amazon the cheapest for it was around $100. Right now I'm going through some boxes from the hoarders unit that are 1930s and 1940s Kennel Clubs and Arabian Horse books along with some old Pet magazines.  No clue if they are worth anything yet.   

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
Right now I'm going through some boxes from the hoarders unit that are 1930s and 1940s Kennel Clubs and Arabian Horse books along with some old Pet magazines.  No clue if they are worth anything yet.

Sounds interesting...let us know what you find out about them and how much their worth.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2013, 12:03:18 PM »
I got five text books last week at a moving sale.  $1/ea.   

Got quote before I bought.  Sold online as I walked to car for $72.

Did find later that I would have often more from another site.   But they don't  have a mobile app.
Will price shop next time......

xx
Making some money now.

Started by VinceRN

8 Replies
Last post October 30, 2011, 10:33:48 PM
by VinceRN
xx
Money Making Idea... Offering Cleanout Services To Auction Buyers

Started by rulesforrebels

0 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 12:10:21 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Storage Auctions...Easy Money, or Money for Nothing?

Started by bwd111

10 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 04:17:46 PM
by bwd111
xx
Finally making it work.

Started by money4nothing

18 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 08:38:48 PM
by Alias300