Storage Auctions

Newb gets a great unit!

Newb gets a great unit!
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
Hi everyone.  I am new to storage auctions and attended my first one on January 22nd of this year.  I have won 5 units to date and am ecstatic over the one I won this past Friday!  I intend to have a large yard sale to originally sell alot of the stuff I have, and hope to make back alot of the money I have spent.  I am also looking to purchase a trailer since I have quickly realized how important it is to have one.  I now realize it will pay for itself very quickly!

My first unit should break even, my second and third units were total losses, my fourth unit might break even, and this fifth unit I am hoping will recover all my money plus some!  It is an absolute dream unit...at least I am hoping that will be the case.  I just finished unloading the unit yesterday and unpacking and sorting it today.  This evening I started an inventory and am exhausted after only listing a very small portion.  The unit was obviously owned by a very well-dressed man that collected crystal and such.  Heck, he might have been collecting to open a resale store for all I know.  There are tons of brand name mens clothes including Polo by Ralph Lauren, Perry Ellis, Boss, UGG, Alfani, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.  The clothes are in excellent shape and hung on plastic and wooden hangars.  There are slacks, jeans, polo and button up collared shirts, hoodies, coats, wool dress coats, sweaters, sport coats, shorts, khakis, and 7 genuine leather jackets!  I have inventoried 37 pair of mens shoes that are in new or practically new condition that are top brands and include italian leather.  One still had the retail price tag on it for $395.00!!  I have somewhere between 100-200 pieces of glass and crystal to inventory including Kosta Boda, Waterford, Nasher, etc.  I even believe I saw at least one Tiffany piece!  There are about 10 to 15 framed art pieces that look beautiful.  There were about 5 small pieces of furniture in excellent shape, lots of books, small kitchen appliances and accessories, lots of wine bottle openers (nice ones!),  watches, insulated coffee thermoses, cross pens, and I just can't even remember it all right now.  A lot of the items look brand new still in their packaging and boxes, and the man was impeccable at wrapping and storing the items.

I am really excited about this locker and I won it for $600 on a sealed bid storage auction.  The very first Kosta Boda vase I unwrapped had a Bloomingdales price tag on it for $475.00 and just guessing, I believe I have at least 5 to 10 more pieces and at least 20 or more Waterford pieces!  I will be inventorying it this week and researching what to do to try and sell it wisely.  Wish me luck!!  :D

Re: Newb gets a great unit!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:46 AM »
THat sounds like a good unit!

Wish I could find one like that  :)

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »
congradulations , but you might want to authenticate the clothing before you sell it , i get a lot of counterfeit clothing with those names on them

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »
That sounds like a great unit - congrats.  If the various items are new you may want to look at doing ebay vs a yard sale.  Yard sale people are looking for good/decent quality at the CHEAP.  So instead of $10-$20 for an item they will only want to pay $1-$2.  So the crystal and such needs to be on CL, a consignment store, or ebay.

Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »
That sounds like a great unit - congrats.  If the various items are new you may want to look at doing ebay vs a yard sale.  Yard sale people are looking for good/decent quality at the CHEAP.  So instead of $10-$20 for an item they will only want to pay $1-$2.  So the crystal and such needs to be on CL, a consignment store, or ebay.

Good luck.
Agree!  It's amazing how differently I look at items now since I'm back to ebaying!  Soooo much nicer getting double or more than I would have at the flea.  My craigslist ads have dropped significantly too, as I found 'local' folks just don't want to pay.  Of course if I ever get another unit.......insert head banging on wall emoticon here, I will hopefully have some large items to craigslist, but until then~I'm ebaying it!

Congrats on the treasures newbie.....now quit being a locker hog and save a few for some of us 'regulars'!   :D

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 08:34:30 PM »
Glad you have a great unit :)  I agree that you need to use CL, ebay, and consignment for what you have scored.  The yard sale/flea market shopper is looking for rock bottom price.  No matter how good the condition, what it cost new, or who made it they want it CHEAP :o  I have a booth at Southern Pickers an antiques and uniques shop that really helps me get better prices on my items.  Good luck with your selling :)

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »
Well, I am going forward with my yard sale for the vast amount of other items I have gotten out of the other 4 units.  I have checked with the 5 antique and collectible malls in our downtown square and there are no available spaces or booths and the waiting lists are very long.  I will have no choice right now but to try ebay for the higher end items, and I will open an account with my local UPS or FedEx store.  I have to have them pack and ship the expensive glass items or they will not honor a freight claim in case of damage or loss.  I have taken pictures of all the clothes and it is over 300 items!  Posting all this on ebay is going to be very tedious and time consuming :o  But I am sure it will all be worth it in the long run! 

xx
Pic's of a great unit Im going to bid on

Started by bwd111

4 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 08:17:03 AM
by rugie
xx
Second Unit not as great as my first

Started by Southern California Girl

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 07:13:36 PM
by craiglstauction