Storage Auctions

The weirdest place you found money?

The weirdest place you found money?
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
Ok, so it's not a weird find, but I'm asking about weird places. We all find money, sometimes it's in really strange places. The unit I bought yesterday, found a $20 in a bible along with some scratch offs.. Strange place for that stuff to me.. Where's the weirdest place you found some dough?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: The weirdest place you found money?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:41:22 PM »
I have only found money in a few places and they are quite normal....safes and coin jars.

Offline dbr831

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Found $60.00 in a birthday card. Only wierd because it was still there. Locker owner was the Grandma and card was addressed to the grandson. Guess she forgot to give it to him.  Another time I found a check in a birthday card for $1000.00 from a mother to her son. Check was decades old. Recently found a couple gold coins in a sock. It was a tube sock, with a knot in it and a little baggie of coins in the toe. That was a fun day! I've never found money in a bible but I always check. Have found cash in pockets several times so I try to always check the pockets. Found $20.00 in ski pants once and another $20.00 in a golf bag. Just found $1 in a frame with the name of a business and a message that it was the first $1.00 with millions to come. I'm guessing that didn't work out.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
The only gold I ever came across was a 10k white gold ring.. whoopdie freakin' doo.. I need to find more gold..

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:20:19 PM »
I've been finding a lot of Sterling lately. I just stick it in the safe and forget about it.

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
I've been finding a lot of stainless recently.. it's too bad I don't own a dump truck to haul it off to the scrap yard, and make a decent buck..

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
it's too bad I don't own a dump truck to haul it off to the scrap yard, and make a decent buck.

What about calling someone to come and pick it up and splitting the profit with them. Half is still better than none.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 12:35:36 PM »
What about calling someone to come and pick it up and splitting the profit with them. Half is still better than none.

Not a bad thought.. but I'm short on storage space to horde it until I have enough to entice someone with that deal..

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 10:36:53 PM »
This wasn't my find but my grandmother was a picker. She once bought a large box of towels and blankets at an estate sale for $10.00. When she started taking them out of the box at home several weeks later to put them in the washing machine one hundred dollar bills came out. She ended up with $700.00. She did try to return it but the house had been sold and she had no way to get ahold of the family.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 08:04:53 AM »
It's like hitting the lottery when you find that much money in an unexpected place like towels and blankets. I asked this question of one of the regulars at the auction this week.. He pulled an old upholstered chair from a locker that was suitable for the trash. He flipped it over to find the manufacturer and saw a repaired rip just big enough for a hand to fit in perfectly in the middle of the seat bottom. He said that it just appeared strange because it didn't look like the rip was an accident. The opened that spot and pulled out $2000 and a diamond tennis bracelet.

He was a contractor in NY. He said that he used to find all sorts of stuff in the walls and under floorboards of homes he was repairing.. The weird things we do with money..

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »
About 4 years ago, I was having a garage sale and I had way too much cash in my pocket. Because I didn't really have a safe spot for it, I stuck $400 in in a sock and hid it in the back of the my van. Totally forgot about it. 3 years later I was getting ready to sell my van and while I was cleaning it out, I felt something under the seat. I pulled it out and there it was, $400 in a sock. It was like a little time capsule. That really made my day.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 11:30:17 PM »
I can beat that....

Back in my flipping cars and bar tending days, when I had a  lot of cash from tips, I had a paper bag I stuck my money in.  I had it in this little hidden drawer in the closet and asked my (now) ex to deposit it.

Over time we bought some furniture, we went on a few vacations but I always felt we should have more money in the bank.  I totally got on her about her spending.....

Fast forward, im not tending bar anymore. I lose his crappy job I'm workin. Totally cash broke. Busted out my "business account".  Living off of investments, 401k.....
I go to dig thru drawer to see if there is any jewelry worth selling and to get some CD's to cash in and pull out this bag jammed in the back.  $18,000!!  Her forgetfulness and my utter lack of accounting saved our a** big time!!

.....Of course the first thing my ex says is "Oh! Lets go to Hawaii!"     :-[

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 03:35:20 AM »
.....Of course the first thing my ex says is "Oh! Lets go to Hawaii!"     :-[

But you went right?   ;D

You must have been making a lot of money to not notice 18 grand was missing.

Offline bwd111

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
Found about 150 in quaters in a camping cooler in a unit I bought. But there quaters were from cable shopping network from denver mint and dont know if they are worth more than a quater or not

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Okay, if this is a "quarter" misspelling I apologize because I make a point to not comment on those, but since it was used multiple times it might be something real so I have to ask...what's a quater

xx
What is the weirdest item you have found?

Started by mj74

13 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 05:50:28 PM
by Cranky
xx
Found a new place to sell for free. It is worth trying it.

Started by Mr Andersen

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
by MovieMan
xx
New winner for "weirdest thing I've ever found in a locker..."

Started by otbg

12 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 08:02:05 PM
by Millertime
xx
Has anyone ever found counterfeit money in a storage unit?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 08:32:23 PM
by Travis