Storage Auctions

Expertise in Board Games

Expertise in Board Games
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
Hey everyone!

I'm happy to share my expertise in board games. I'll say a few things first about board games.

One, condition is everything. If you have one torn corner, one gouge in the box, a little tape damage, all of that detracts from the the value of the game. A mint or sealed copy of a game from the 60s to 80s can be worth quite a bit of money, but even a small amount of damage in the same time period can cut the value of that item by half.

Two, kids board games are less valuable than what I call 'hobby' board games, which are games that typically run in the 50-200 dollar range. A game like Fireball Island or World of Warcraft: The Board Game (not to be confused with the Adventure game, it's different and less valuable) can get you $100 or more (depending on condition), but kids games like Scrabble Jr. or Chutes and Ladders, regardless of the age, will not net very much money ($10-20).

I'm happy to answer any questions about board games. I already share my knowledge on a YouTube show. :)

Staci

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Expertise in Board Games
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
Awesome, thanks for sharing!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:21:05 PM »
Was wondering if you could help me out, I got 3 games at a estate auction this weekend. I got battleship orginal in mint condition, aggravation which some corners messed up and trival pursuit master game-genius edition which has never been opened. Any info will help.

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »
Was wondering if you could help me out, I got 3 games at a estate auction this weekend. I got battleship orginal in mint condition, aggravation which some corners messed up and trival pursuit master game-genius edition which has never been opened. Any info will help.

Sure thing. What are the years on the Battleship and the Aggravation? So the Trivial Pursuit, is it still in shrink wrap? What's the condition of the box? If it's in mint and still in shrink wrap, it will have some fairly decent value. If it's been opened or the box has any issues, it becomes nearly worthless. Trivial Pursuit's are a dime a dozen (like literally, go to any thrift store and you'll see they have several copies.) If it's sealed in great condition, I'd say the value of it ranges from $15-30 - depending on the market and how long you are willing to wait for a buyer.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 06:10:23 PM »
Battleship was 1998. Aggervation is from

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 06:43:58 PM »
So I would imagine that the board game niche does really well around Christmas and you probably sell a lot more of your common inventory?

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:28:56 PM »
If the Battleship is in mint condition, from 1998, complete, it's worth anywhere from $10-15. More if you can sell it locally and not have to ship it. The Aggravation from 1982 is a little more valuable. The condition is a little more lenient since it's got more age on it. Without pictures or seeing it myself, it's hard to say exactly how much. If the box is damaged, I'd say it's worth about $15. If the damage is just normal shelf wear, you can probably get $25 for it.

Feel free to post pictures and I can rate the condition for ya. Older games are bought by collectors, and they are super picky, condition really matters.

Staci

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:36 PM »
So I would imagine that the board game niche does really well around Christmas and you probably sell a lot more of your common inventory?

Yes, I'm already seeing a boost right now with sales of games I've had in my inventory for a while. Vintage games and collectible games sell year round easily because of the collector's market.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:13 AM »
Yes, I'm already seeing a boost right now with sales of games I've had in my inventory for a while. Vintage games and collectible games sell year round easily because of the collector's market.

KrauseHouse,

Do you have any interest in buying games? In my area, unless it is new in the box and I can put it on Ebay, nobody really buys used board games. I guess they think pieces are missing? I always put notes saying "yes, all pieces are there." Still no buyers. What if I just collected a big stash of them, send you pictures, and see if you would like to buy them in bulk. Maybe you have buyers for them, or you can use them for "parts" for other games in better condition or whatever.

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »
I do buy. What kinds of prices are you putting on the games? Is it at yard sales you are trying to buy them?

Incomplete games are definitely scary and it's one of those things I have to be careful of. If I'm buying a ton of games, I don't stand there and count pieces, so I have to get them really cheap. If I'm only buying one or two, I'll check them for completeness.

Do you have a sampling of the names of the games you are holding onto?

Staci

xx
what would you say is your area of expertise?

Started by BigBizzz

2 Replies
Last post December 18, 2012, 02:48:03 PM
by Travis
xx
How about a new Board for Donation Information

Started by luke

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2014, 01:46:17 PM
by alloro
xx
Board for Amazon sellers?