Storage Auctions

Stamps in a 3" thick book

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
Stamps in a 3" thick book
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Just starting to do research on this one so thought I'd take a shot here too.

This book is not full, but it has stamps (used and unused) going back to mid 1800's up to the 1960s.

I looked up two of the un-used ones on eBay and the completed prices showed in the $8 range for each.

Wondering if any of you have had experience with either single stamp sales or complete book sales.

I know a sheet of one stamp can be valuable. That is not the case here.  These are individual stamps fastened over pictures of stamps on a given page.

One of the pages is:  1940 stamps commemorating artists, composers and I forget the third one. 5 stamps of each, all cancelled.

The most intersting is of a bi-plane flying upside down.  :)  JUST KIDDING !

Any thoughts ?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: Stamps in a 3" thick book
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:10:06 AM »
I've found it to be extremely difficult to find someone competent to value stamps. The last guy I talked to was competent but really snooty. Wouldn't even take the time to look through the collection I found. He was running some kind of internet auction house for stamps...security was like Fort Knox.

Offline House of Treasures

• We Buy Junk We Sell Antiques
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
Stop It Movieman  :96: I almost came out of my seat when I saw (The most interesting is of a bi-plane flying upside down).
I don't know much about stamps either but I do know that is a retirement Stamp. I have a book like yours and a cigar box full old stamps that need investigating, so if you find a convent way let us know.

Isn't funny how you hear of people finding Treasures worth Thousands of dollars....Stamps, Pictures etc. but when you get your maybe's checked out it is always worth 10 to 15 bucks.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:30:30 AM »
i just found a binder in this last auction i won. You guys have looked in the local yellowpages? i figure ill take my stuff to a pro so they can glance through it and see what they say.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:32:57 AM »
google "stamp dealers" in your city and start making phone calls. thats how i do it :)

xx
Do cigarette company "stamps" still sell on eBay?

Started by MovieMan

11 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 12:29:40 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Comic book about gov't secrets getting auctioned off in a storage unit "Unit 44"

Started by StorageAuctionFinds

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2013, 03:16:45 PM
by alloro
xx
Do you use Stamps.com?

Started by Travis

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 12:44:58 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
What is the largest total $ value of US stamps you have ever gotten in a locker?

Started by MovieMan

7 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 06:58:28 PM
by Travis