Storage Auctions

McPheRsoN Oil Painting

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
McPheRsoN Oil Painting
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
My wife has an obsession with elephants. While at an auction with the wife, low and behold, a giant oil painting of a elephant was in a unit. I slowly looked back at her to see if she liked it. She was shaking her head ecstatically. I knew I had to buy it. And of course, some lady runs me up. Luckily, there were three other items in the unit that I'll be able to resell and get my money back.

Once we got home, we looked up the artist. Wasn't very difficult to find the artist because of her unusual signature. "McPheRsoN" with a capital R & N. Found several exact matches. The problem is, this painting doesn't look anything like her "Anime" style.

Judging from the frame, the paining dates to the late 80's or early 90's. The artist is 37 so this might explain why the styles are so different...this could be some of her earliest work.

Apparently, Tara McPherson is a famous artist and her work demands a premium. I wasn't able to find anything like the painting we have on eBay although some of her smaller modern prints are selling for $200-300.

Anyway, I sent an email to Tara through her website and I'm hoping she'll verify the painting and educate me on it's value.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Re: McPheRsoN Oil Painting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:15 AM »
Just got an email back from Tara McPherson. She said she wasn't the artist. So, back to the drawing board. I'm just amazed that another artist is using the same signature "McPheRsoN" with a capital R & N. I mean, what are the odds?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
My wife has an obsession with elephants. While at an auction with the wife

You're on speaking terms again?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:55:16 AM »
I'm just amazed that another artist is using the same signature "McPheRsoN" with a capital R & N. I mean, what are the odds?

The odds of a copycat? Hmm, I'd say real good. The other possibility is that it is genuine and she didn't want to admit to it in the hopes of getting it back from you. Then there's the possibility of one of her parents also painted and she is unaware of the existence of this panting.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
Or the possibility that she wasn't proud of it and didn't want people to see it.

And yes we are.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
And yes we are.

That is a huge step by you that I hope she appreciates.   8)

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:33 PM »
That a huge step by you that I hope she appreciates.   8)

I have seen a 180 in her commitment to her family.