Storage Auctions

A story about free craigslist ads...

A story about free craigslist ads...
« on: September 20, 2013, 08:52:29 PM »
So, since I've opened up shop I'm using craigslist free ads to give away items that I wouldn't ordinarily sell to get people to come to the store. It works out really well and typically I don't put on the ad things like "no resellers". This time I put up a free ad and added "for a family in need. NO RESELLERS" I also asked to send an email before coming to the store and tell me why they need the items.. they were baby items, a bottle warmer, bottles, burp cloths, etc.

A guy sends an email with a sob story about how he is broke and been out of work for years. He has hit rock bottom. His wife is due in a few weeks with their first and they have nothing because they don't have the money to buy. It was a very sad story..

So the guy comes into the store today to pick up his free items for his pregnant wife and...... it's a guy from the auction circuit.. and his wife is not pregnant, I've seen her before at auctions.. When he came in, I didn't think he was there for the free stuff, because he can't be the same guy who wrote the story. And then, he asks for the free baby stuff.. and I was like, "your wife is pregnant?" "uhhh.. yeah.." he replies. I gave him the stuff, but what a degenerate!

Guess who now has a HUGE target on his back? As long as I'm at an auction, I'll be sure he won't be getting a locker.. and I'll be telling this story around the circuit. Guys like him make me sick!

Re: A story about free craigslist ads...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »
 >:(
That sucks, he should be ashamed but of course he is shameless.  Anyway at least you tried.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:44:32 AM »
Guess who now has a HUGE target on his back? As long as I'm at an auction, I'll be sure he won't be getting a locker.. and I'll be telling this story around the circuit. Guys like him make me sick!

Shouldn't you first be sure that his story was bogus before you trash him? Maybe he has been out of work and has been trying to make ends meet by doing the auctions. As far as his wife being pregnant, how do you know she is not? Not all women blow up to the size of a house.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:47:49 AM »
and I was like, "your wife is pregnant?" "uhhh.. yeah.." he replies. I gave him the stuff,

Why didn't you say something or question him further instead of just hand over the stuff that was meant for someone in need?

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 09:24:38 AM »
This happens more often than you think. Some people will do or say anything to get merchandise. Something I like to do is search peoples number on craigslist. Its funny to see the same person having an ad up seeking donations with a sob story, but also their 10 other listings selling the items that were given to them.

I've made more than my share fair from things given to me or found on the side of the road, but never under the guise of a 'story'.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
Shouldn't you first be sure that his story was bogus before you trash him? Maybe he has been out of work and has been trying to make ends meet by doing the auctions. As far as his wife being pregnant, how do you know she is not? Not all women blow up to the size of a house.

I'm positive that she is not pregnant.. Or she is very irresponsible with her pregnancy. They both smoke. She was also not wearing clothes that would indicate that she was pregnant at auctions, shorty shorts, shirts showing her stomach, etc.

Why didn't you say something or question him further instead of just hand over the stuff that was meant for someone in need?

It's an awkward situation, when you know, or highly suspect someone of being dishonest. I didn't want to cause a fight. After all, we were in my store, and I don't need that kind of press! Also, EVERYBODY is a potential promoter of your business.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
yeah its a shame people play on peoples heartstrings who really aren't in need. i see ads up all the time in the car section single mom down on her luck, just needs a car to get to work blah blah blah. i see some running the same ads for years.

xx
Ridiculous Craigslist Free Posts

Started by HomeGrownPromos

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2013, 03:47:26 PM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Currently free listing and free buy it now on ebay

Started by rulesforrebels

4 Replies
Last post February 27, 2011, 09:21:41 PM
by rulesforrebels