Storage Auctions

Providing Dimensions

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Providing Dimensions
« on: July 25, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
When posting items on Craigslist, do you usually provide dimensions of furniture, appliances, etc? Or is it not worth the trouble?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Providing Dimensions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:14:17 AM »
I always do.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »
Always, for anything.

I mainly do smalls and take the picture of item next to a tape measure or framers square.
Rims I include lug patter size and link to site on how to measure yours for fit.
Furniture I give outside dimensions plus on drawer size...on chairs, the hieght of seat...tables, circumference....

Still get asked about size.  Seems the more specific I get the more questions I get.
Usually asking questions clearly stated in Ad.
(I once got asked how tall a 6 foot corner lamp was!)

And, I still meet people and get "oh...I didn't realize it was so big/small"

But I figure the more info I give the better ground I stand on when they try to "negotiate" by saying its not what they thought it was.

I know others tht are purposely vague then "sell" the item once they get a meet.  But I'm not a salesman, not my thing to talk people into buying.   

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
I know others tht are purposely vague then "sell" the item once they get a meet.

I don't waste my time with vague ads, and if you don't include at least one picture then forget it, you'll never hear from me.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 09:48:05 AM »
I don't waste my time with vague ads, and if you don't include at least one picture then forget it, you'll never hear from me.

Like people that drive around with a For Sale sign on their car with just a phone number, no price.
Hate that.   And dealers do it all the time on CL.  "Call for price" = I'll try and figure out what you can pay.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »
I've been getting lazy with it, but now that I've got some more furniture pieces up there, I'm noticing that I'm getting tons of emails asking for dimensions. Gotta get back into the habit of doing that again.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:49 PM »
I generally don't take specific measurements however I will say you will need a truck or you will need an SUV. I had one guy call me about a big screen tv but one of the older projection models. I tell the guy I coudln't fit it into my camry and barely fit it into a Honda CRV. I said you will absolutely need an SUV, even gave him measurements. He shows up in a Hyundai elantra lol

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 02:01:30 PM »
I like to provide as much information as I can. that way there is no surprises when they come out to look at something.

Still doesn't stop people from showing up in a car to buy a table!

I gave HxWxL, Circumference and eight pictures with "reference items" to show size on the poker table and still SIX people came and said "oh.  I didn't realize it was so big....."

It's a TABLE!  You drive a Civic. You *really* thought it would fit in your car?!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
I put length, width, and height in every ad......if you don't, you end up with endless "how wide is this?" or "how tall is it?".....and I keep about 200 ads always going under four different accounts, so I don't have time to mess with that......just easier to put it in at the beginning.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
For both eBay and cList I put a yardstick with large numbers with the item whether a bread-box size or larger and take a broad shot and then a close-up clearly showing the dimension. Depending on the piece I might do this with each of the dimensions.

I also put the dimensions in as text, but you can still count on someone asking what the size is or asking "Do you think I can get this in the trunk of my 'xyz' car?"

xx
Yet another service providing info on buying lien storage lockers

Started by MovieMan

0 Replies
Last post November 13, 2013, 09:11:07 AM
by MovieMan