Storage Auctions

Using Craigslist services section for labor

Using Craigslist services section for labor
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
How many of us use craigslist services section for manual labor? I have had to use it once because I bought a locker with an elliptical machine I couldn't move on my own, nor fit in my van. Hired a guy with a truck and we got it loaded up and moved. He charged me $25, we brought it straight to Play It Again sports (used sporting goods store) and sold it for $300. Best $25 I ever spent!

Ever use hired help through craigslist for bigger jobs? Use "rent a guy with a truck" services for smaller one or 2 piece specialty moves? Got a tip for sourcing these types of services?

Re: Using Craigslist services section for labor
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 01:38:41 PM »
We use some professional movers to help load and unload bigger units that we found on CList.  We just have that factored into the price when we bid.  They are great and have been discounting us.  They have a truck and are more expensive then the guy and a truck but more reliable and have bought from us as well.

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
Wow.. not many people use professional movers because the cost is outrageous! If I used a professional mover, I'd have to factor in like $200 into my bidding budget, which prices me out of the action.

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
They usually work with me for about $100 but we have bartered for stuff as well.  To me it is also the time aspect of it.  I have a day job and love processing units a lot more than moving in the Texas heat.  I don't have a box truck or even a trailer yet.  My goal is to stay in the profits and that has been going well.  I know if I did it all myself I would make more money but I am juggling time as well money.

I remember Travis saying that when he was first in the business he spent $1000 to move stuff and get a huge parking lot sale going with a couple of guys and 2 26' trucks.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:59 PM »
$100 is a hell of a deal! I don't blame you for taking them up on that offer to move the whole unit!

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 09:58:27 PM »
Well, the professional movers are great if you have a lot of nice furniture or breakables. However, I use Craigslist labor on a regular basis and I can usually find guys who will work for $10 an hour. I usually get a flood of calls within 5-10 minutes after posting the ad.

Now, keep in mind that a lot of these guys that scour Craigslist for short term work are just looking for money for their next fix or bottle.

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 11:12:11 PM »
I've used them to mow my lawn, move lockers, and do some work on a mobile home crawlspace.  Usually pay them $10 and hour, and if they are good, buy them lunch and maybe give them a little bonus at end of day to bump it up to around $12 an hour.  Then, if they are good, I'll keep their number and they'll want to come back because I'm not a cheap ass!

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 10:21:18 AM »
How many of us use craigslist services section for manual labor? I have had to use it once because I bought a locker with an elliptical machine I couldn't move on my own, nor fit in my van. Hired a guy with a truck and we got it loaded up and moved. He charged me $25, we brought it straight to Play It Again sports (used sporting goods store) and sold it for $300. Best $25 I ever spent!

Ever use hired help through craigslist for bigger jobs? Use "rent a guy with a truck" services for smaller one or 2 piece specialty moves? Got a tip for sourcing these types of services?

used to be the managers would let me use the facilities box trucks for free until some other idiots they allowed to do this with crashed trucks a number of tiems.

you can rent trucks at home depot for like 24 an hour and its not as much hassle as uhual in terms of paperwork and taking 2 hours to leave their office.

ive hired craigslist labor its kinda hit or miss

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
I have found there are "legal" workers in front of Home Depot. They are usually hit or miss as well.

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
By and large, I'm able to move most things by myself and a hand truck. I move couches, beds, dressers, whatever. But the awkward pieces, like exercise equipment, I can't move with a hand truck... I usually avoid these rooms, because I don't want to pay for the help.. But... at $25 to move one piece, or a guaranteed sale, not a bad way to go!

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 03:20:58 AM »
We did fnd a company to cut our grass, that's about it. 
As for moving stuff, hand cart + wife = job done.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »
Movers.

Three guys with truck for three hours for $225.  And they WORKED!   

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:29:56 PM »
Three guys with truck for three hours for $225.  And they WORKED!   

9 man hours and a truck to boot? You can't beat that deal with a stick.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 11:12:39 AM »
I was suprised.   I thought they would milk it but they were trying to get done as fast as possible.

Also, they didnt include drive time in that 3hrs.  You got 3hrs of WORK. 

or miliage under 10 miles.   After 10 miles it was only like $0.50/mile

And they took anything not wanted so saved a trip to dump.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
That's really a great deal.. especially if you have a HUGE locker to clear out.

xx
Craigslist Barter Section

Started by Travis

22 Replies
Last post September 20, 2013, 08:36:09 PM
by HomeGrownPromos
xx
Does anyone use the barter section on Craigslist?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 10:32:02 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Brick and Mortar Ebay Services

Started by cladkins

8 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 12:41:06 PM
by cladkins
xx
Do you ever hire movers or labor to help you out?

Started by Travis

8 Replies
Last post February 11, 2015, 08:37:26 AM
by truedaystar