Storage Auctions

You know what I hate most about Craigslist?

You know what I hate most about Craigslist?
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:18:53 PM »
What I hate most about CL are the sellers who have never spent a day selling on ebay, and want to get the same amount as you would on ebay.  They list what they want for it and justify by saying its going for X amount on ebay.  I cannot resist and have to respond with a big f u!  I tell them all the same thing:  You obviously have never sold a single item on ebay, cuz if you did, you would understand that you cannot get the same amount that one would get on ebay.  They do not take into consideration the hard work and time it takes to sell items on ebay.  First you research the value of the item, then you take a picture and load it into your computer, then you create the listing and attach the pics, then you have to respond to all questions in a timely manner, which involves checking many times a day, and finally you have to package and ship the item, also in a timely manner.  What makes them feel they are entitled to the same price?  I know the answer to my own question...ignorance!!

Re: You know what I hate most about Craigslist?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
I totally agree.... I'm a top rated seller on ebay and when some CL seller says that , I show them my iphone ebay app showing all my items listed ......then I search for similar items to his/hers and show them " here's what they ASK...here's what they actually sold for ( also usually a small percentage of all the listed items )... I'm HERE ,now, with CASH so here's my offer..." sometimes I win ,other times I just win the battle but ,like poker, I messed with his thinking process, I hate smug b***ards

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
I wish I could respond as you do, which is a lot nicer than my way.  I am generally a very nice person by nature, but some things get under my skin, like this, and I have no problem standing up for myself and telling where they can put it.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
different styles...that's what makes the world go round, but just to mix it up a bit I think I'll try your style once in awhile just for the pure satisfaction of putting some idiot in their perceived place ...  :D

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 11:11:55 AM »
First you research the value of the item, then you take a picture and load it into your computer, then you create the listing and attach the pics, then you have to respond to all questions in a timely manner, which involves checking many times a day, and finally you have to package and ship the item, also in a timely manner.

As one that sells a significant amount of items on both eBay and CL, I can honestly say that what you've described above applies equally to both sites. The only major difference might be that with eBay items are mostly shipped and with CL they're mostly picked up. But with CL there is a lot of time wasted meeting with buyers who then try and beat down your price after you meet with them. So if you're going to sit here and say something on CL is worth less than the same item listed on eBay, then I'm going to sit here and say that you have a lot to learn yet.

Offline Alias300

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 12:16:06 PM »
I primarily use CL to sell and I always use eBay as a pricing tool.  I like CL for the reasons you listed.  Don't have to ship, pack, buy packing materials, pay ebay & PayPal fee's.....

I price for what I see things *selling* for, not asking.   Then use the "your getting a deal!  No shipping cost, you can inspect before purchase and no wait, no risk".

And ......hmmm....I totally lost my train of thought and point I was going to make.....ahh.....something like I get the same amount for item and buyer saves money on shipping, no risk, ....win, win.   

I'm going to go make taco's now.   

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:54:23 PM »
Agree with both of the previous posts. CL takes just as much effort as Ebay. I sell my collectibles on Ebay and my practicals on CL. 

What bugs me more is the people who try to trick CL sellers with bogus stories about the value of items..

I had a guy tell me that he could buy a car amp that I had listed on CL for $60 new. I had it listed for $50. I explained to him that I had done extensive research on what the product sells for new and used and if he could buy it new for $60, he'd be doing that rather than emailing me. I sold it the next day for $50 no questions asked by another buyer.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »
The spammy emails are annoying, but I've sold 5 items this weekend off of craigslist and they all came to my new store which isn't open quite yet. But all my buyers were excited about the store, which hopefully translates to some good word of mouth advertising.

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 04:40:24 PM »
HomeGrown are you listing your store name in your ads? I do every time I list. I have a lot of people come in that saw this or that on Craigs. It makes for great multiple purchases and repeat customers.  Because you are not open yet you could say something like "coming soon" with the address and phone # maybe an opening date.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:17:53 PM »
HomeGrown are you listing your store name in your ads? I do every time I list. I have a lot of people come in that saw this or that on Craigs. It makes for great multiple purchases and repeat customers.  Because you are not open yet you could say something like "coming soon" with the address and phone # maybe an opening date.

I am not doing that yet. We're not quite ready to accept walk in customers. Should be ready in the next day or 2. Just had some minor construction done.. baseboards and a new wall around my backflow preventers which is in the front of the store for some reason.. So, now everything has a nice layer of sawdust and drywall dust on it.

I renewed my posts today, and next time I renew (48 hours) I'll add my store info, and try to figure up how to link the ad to my website..

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
What makes you feel you can dictate what htey sell their item for?

Ebay really isn't that hard of work. I sell 300 plus items a month on ebay on average. During busy times I can sometimes do over 30 packages a day, never takes me more than an hour.

Personally I prefer ebay over Craigslist, people buy and I shop, occasionally I have to answer a stupid question about shipping or about an item. I think Craigslist is a lot more work than ebay. It takes me 1 minute to pack someones order and ship for ebay and I can do it on my schedule. Craigslist however I wind up going back and forth with people trying to find a common meeting time, inevidably people show up an hour late leaving me waiting or don't show up at all. Half the time it costs me gas money driving to meet them. People low ball onc raigslist.  I would take ebay over craigslist any day in terms of time and work required.

If you don't like someone's price move on and look at someone else to buy from or make them an offer in line with what you want it for.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 03:33:22 PM »
I primarily use CL to sell and I always use eBay as a pricing tool.  I like CL for the reasons you listed.  Don't have to ship, pack, buy packing materials, pay ebay & PayPal fee's.....

I price for what I see things *selling* for, not asking.   Then use the "your getting a deal!  No shipping cost, you can inspect before purchase and no wait, no risk".

And ......hmmm....I totally lost my train of thought and point I was going to make.....ahh.....something like I get the same amount for item and buyer saves money on shipping, no risk, ....win, win.   

I'm going to go make taco's now.   

You guys must not put much value on your time because almost everyone on cl shows up later than they say. I coudl pack up 50 ebay orders in the time I sit for 30 minutes waiting for a buyer to show up or maybe never shows up at all. Also gas money to go meet people places since it seems many people don't like people comming to their home. Also now days on ebay most professional sellers offer free shipping as you get higher ranking that way, they just build shipping into the price. Packing materials dont cost that much and lots of stuff you can use recycled items for packaging materials.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 03:36:10 PM »

Ebay really isn't that hard of work. I sell 300 plus items a month on ebay on average. During busy times I can sometimes do over 30 packages a day, never takes me more than an hour.

It's obvious you are selling some small item you can pop in an envelope (sex pills, energy pills, etc) and of course anyone who is doing that can process a lot in a short period of time.

Try packing an 80 pound tool with an awkward shape. Let me know when you can do 30 of those a day.

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 03:47:52 PM »
You guys must not put much value on your time because almost everyone on cl shows up later than they say. I coudl pack up 50 ebay orders in the time I sit for 30 minutes waiting for a buyer to show up or maybe never shows up at all.

You are comparing apples and oranges in several of your posts in this thread.  Sure, once you have a product that sells well on eBay (as you appear to have) it does not reasonably compare to selling a single item on eBay or on cList.

It seems you have finally found a niche after your early explorations into selling copper bars and Vietnamese Dong on eBay several years ago.

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:48 AM »
I don't seem to have that problem (people not showing up when they say they will). Since renting my store, I don't go anywhere to meet people, they come to me. If they don't come, it goes back out on the floor, or it gets retagged. If I have multiple interested, I just move onto the next person. I'm just starting out on ebay (again), and I think it is much harder for a noob to sell on ebay than it is for an established seller. I've listed more products that didn't sell than ones that did. I'd much rather just stick with craigslist, however certain items just do not sell on there, in my area. Items like collectibles, fine china, and small antiquey type items don't move on craigslist, around here.

xx
Why does everyone hate Mondays so much ?

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post March 22, 2013, 03:03:49 PM
by alloro
xx
I hate fees!

Started by Drew

7 Replies
Last post December 26, 2010, 06:20:43 PM
by Ironman
xx
Like it or hate the shows here are the lastest ratings