Storage Auctions

Higher Priced Items Still Selling

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Higher Priced Items Still Selling
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »
Why do you think some eBay sellers do well selling an item for more than their competition? 

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Higher Priced Items Still Selling
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 07:38:57 PM »
Ranking in the search results.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 08:34:20 PM »
I bought an item earlier and I paid about $5 more for a similar item because it was being shipped from the US. The last time I bought a product being shipped from China it took over three weeks to arrive.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
When I look for something I want on my mobile phone, I just take the first thing I see that looks reasonable... It's a pain to shop for price on the phone.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »
I think some people just get overwhelmed when they see tens or hundreds of thousands of items to choose from. Sometimes it's even difficult to find the cheapest item because there might be thousands of accessories for that item that come up first.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »
lots of different reasons

couple examples
example 1
using a dress shirt for example and for arguments sake is new with the tags still on it
seller 1 takes 3 pictures of shirt on a table lists as x brand dress shirt size xl and he puts a price on it of 19$ plus shipping and doesnt use the ebay item specifics
seller 2 takes 6 pictures of shirt on a manequin and mentions x brand french cuff light blue dress shirt. also includes measurements of the shirt in the listing and uses ebay specifics , sells item for $49 free shipping
seller 2 will get a buyer and probably not wait much longer to sell it than the first seller (he might even unload it sooner)hes put in an extra 5-10 minutes of work to make a professional add and will be rewarded with an extra 20 on the sale for his efforts

example 2
using a lot of say 3 gross of pencils
seller 1 lists as auction for $10 and winds up selling for 12.50 when auctions done
seller 2 lists for 20 as a buy it now
no one cares a whole lot about pencils either you need them or you dont
seller 1 was looking to get rich off them and wound up with a customer who wanted the cheapest stuff possible
seller 2 wanted to sell the pencils to someone who needed pencils and didnt want to wait a week for an auction

example
 3 provenance of the seller
one of the few things i know a fair amount about are bicycles
on something like a collectable seat a seller with no knowledge may sell it for 19, i might get 79 and theres a couple folks in the industry who would get 129+ for the same seat in the same shape just because of who they already have watching their listings

theres lots of different sellers on ebay some of them liquidation based and some based on max profit , it really depends on what you are set up for as a seller

oh one other reason some buyers will shy away from anything that comes across as too cheap as it makes them think theres something wrong with it

Offline House of Treasures

• We Buy Junk We Sell Antiques
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 04:06:20 PM »
Nice insight Fred. Could you or anyone talk some about when you first started off on EBay. I have an account and have listed a couple of things but hadn't really gotten serious about selling there. I guess I'm looking for something to kick start me.

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 04:45:37 PM »
just a heads up, i find a LOT of postage stamps in lockers. you can get 80-90% face value on ebay for them. Just sold $120 worth hehe.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 06:52:06 PM »
just a heads up, i find a LOT of postage stamps in lockers. you can get 80-90% face value on ebay for them. Just sold $120 worth hehe.

Nice. I've found several rolls myself. Stamps are just as good as cash if you find someone who needs them.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
A number of factors. I personally find amazon is better than ebay in terms of professionalism and fast shipping time. It's not that uncommon for ebay people to wait days or even a week to ship. I would personally pay more to a professional seller whom I know will ship within 24 hours as opposed to just some guy who may give me some line about how he only goes to the post office on Thursdays so if I order on a Monday I'm waiting waiting 4 days for him to ship.

Another thing as others have mentioned in search ranking. Whenever a product of mine goes to the top of search that is what sells like hotcakes. It's amazing I'll be thinking oh this thing is my best seller and then nothign but something else sells, its all about placement in search.

Lastly, many buyers don't look around. I ave a few ebay accounts and oftentimes price things differently as I get bigger discounts on some accounts than others so can afford to drop prices. I have literally had 3 products on the same page like $12, $15, and $20 and someone will buy it for $20.

xx
Items selling for less around Christmas

Started by Travis

4 Replies
Last post December 27, 2012, 11:24:08 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
Having trouble selling items

Started by terrorbow

14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2011, 11:41:33 PM
by jrossjr79
xx
Selling items at a auction house

Started by amc

4 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 01:20:46 PM
by amc
xx
Tips from my experience selling unit items as a Private Seller.

Started by moderntexaspicking

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 06:17:06 PM
by Travis