Storage Auctions

Selling Gift Cards on eBay

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
Selling Gift Cards on eBay
« on: November 16, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »
Has anyone ever sold a gift card on eBay? If so, how do you protect yourself from getting ripped off? What type of shipping/insurance should you get?

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
Re: Selling Gift Cards on eBay
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
I probably wouldn't buy a gift card on ebay, be worried about getting an empty one. I know every year around christmas there's a bunch of gift card scams.

Just did a little terapeak research average gift card sales amount is about $53. Starbucks is by far the most searched term and most sold gift card. About 877,000 worth of gift cards sold last week so they definately are selling on ebay

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
Yeah, there's no doubt they're selling. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, and other big box store cards sell for 90% or more. Around the holidays, 100% plus shipping. It amazes me. People will pay more for a gift card on eBay than if they went to the store and purchased it. Guess it's all about convenience.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
I just wanted to post an update on this.

Letters/packages containing gift cards are NOT covered by insurance above $15 at UPS & USPS. Didn't check at FedEx.

The best way to send gift cards is by registered mail, which requires a signature for delivery and includes insurance.

Get this. The post office website says CURRENCY sent by registered mail can be insured for up to $25,000.

The best way to send gift cards is by certified mail with signature.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:34:11 AM »
I just wanted to post an update on this.

Letters/packages containing gift cards are NOT covered by insurance above $15 at UPS & USPS. Didn't check at FedEx.

The best way to send gift cards is by registered mail, which requires a signature for delivery and includes insurance.

Get this. The post office website says CURRENCY sent by registered mail can be insured for up to $25,000.

that's wierd gift cards cant be insured but currency can. must be some special program for large anks and stuff because im shocked they would insure currency.

do you happen to have a link to that im shocked as everything i have ever seen post office seems to discourage people from sending money, i think there's even a myth or common misconception its illegal to send money although obviously everyone does it in birthday cards and stuff

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:34:45 PM »
Funny thing is, I read that on a website but when I went down to the post office to ship the gift cards, they looked at me like I was crazy. Guess you can't believe everything you read on the internet - imagine that!  ::) I'll try to find the link as soon as I get some free time - so like never. Kidding I'll see if I can find it.

Update: here is the link: articles.mcall.com/2011-11-26/news/mc-watchdog-holiday-shipping-20111126_1_gift-cards-ship-gifts-cabinet

After reading it a second time, it looks like it was just someone repeating something they heard.

I've come to the conclusion that eBay isn't the way to go when selling gift cards.

Buyers are paying about 90-92% for big box store cards.

Subtract eBay's 10%.

Then subtract shipping, which is now a huge risk since they can't be insured.

And you're getting about 78% out of every $100.

If you go to giftcards.com, they pay a little better than that. Plus, you can enter the card number and pin and they'll transfer money to your PayPal account. Much more convenient and less risk involved.

Also, some CoinStar locations are now buying gift cards. They don't list the percentages on their website, so I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not.

Offline rulesforrebels

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »
Funny thing is, I read that on a website but when I went down to the post office to ship the gift cards, they looked at me like I was crazy. I'll try to find the link as soon as I get some free time - so like never. Kidding I'll see if I can find it.

Update: here is the link: articles.mcall.com/2011-11-26/news/mc-watchdog-holiday-shipping-20111126_1_gift-cards-ship-gifts-cabinet

After reading it a second time, it looks like it was just someone repeating something they heard.

I've come to the conclusion that eBay isn't the way to go when selling gift cards.

Buyers are paying about 90-92% for big box store cards.

Subtract eBay's 10%.

Then subtract shipping, which is now a huge risk since they can't be insured.

And you're getting about 78% out of every $100.

If you go to giftcards.com, they pay a little better than that. Plus, you can enter the card number and pin and they'll transfer money to your PayPal account. Much more convenient and less risk involved.

Also, some CoinStar locations are now buying gift cards. They don't list the percentages on their website, so I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not.

That's cool coinstar does gift cards. Some new company popped up and has machines in grocery stores in chicago near the coinstar machine that buys giftcards from most major retailers but at a ripoff rate of course.

my biggest concern with selling gift cards on ebay is buyer says you sent a giftcard but with no funds, itgoes to a dispute who do you think ebay is going to side with. its almost like selling bitcoins with paypal and why nobody does it because if you get a bad apple its basically guranteed free stuff for buyer if someone decides to open a claim.

i figured there had to be something wierd about usps insuring money cuz i know even fedex and ups wont insure it. i used to work for a company that shipped money in smaller amounts because brinks was so expensive and if fedex lost a $7,000 package all they got for insurance was $100. i think employees started catching on and stealing because at one point nothing could be shipped in antyhing but a large box because they were catching employees on tape stuffing those padded envelopes into their pants stealing.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »
Get this. Wal-Mart and CardCash just teamed up.

walmart.cardcash.com/

You can now trade any retailers gift card in for a Wal-Mart gift card. The percentages are higher than they would be if you sold your card to another online gift card buying service, so this could be a good deal for some of you with unwanted cards.

We all shop at Wal-Mart. Gas, groceries, oil changes, household items, etc.

Would you rather have a $100 gift card to The Gap, or an $84 Wal-Mart card. I'd choose Wal-Mart any day.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 04:22:39 PM »
Would you rather have a $100 gift card to The Gap, or an $84 Wal-Mart card. I'd choose Wal-Mart any day.

The clothing quality is higher at The Gap, so I'd keep the card.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 08:24:32 PM »
The clothing quality is higher at The Gap, so I'd keep the card.

It was just an analogy. Fill in "The Gap" with any lame gift card you might have received over the holidays.

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 09:42:07 PM »
I think if you are selling cards, (or any other product that sells in bulk), it might be a good idea to try with a local neighbourhood first. When you're a little more established, see if you can start a website and advertise instead of using eBay as a tool. More professional that way. But good luck!

xx
Selling Store Cards on eBay

Started by MovieMan

17 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 09:52:17 AM
by Alias300
xx
Tips for selling Sports Cards on eBay

Started by rollinradios

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 03:58:16 PM
by Benluby