Storage Auctions

Typical Ebay Dispute with a Buyer..

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Typical Ebay Dispute with a Buyer..
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
I sold a like new Samsonite Carry On Luggage Bag, like most carry on's, it comes with multiple compartments to put your items into.

My description read.

This Samsonite bag is in LIKE NEW condition, it's very clean as you can see in the photo's. 

It measures..

18 inches wide
 12 inches tall
   7 inches deep.

It has many pockets and zippered openings as seen in the photo's a really comfortable premium shoulder strap and Handle..

Weights approximately 3.5 lbs empty.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
Re: Typical Ebay Dispute with a Buyer..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:55:35 AM »
A guy bought it for $11.99 which is a great price for this item, and paid about $10 in shipping..

Then, after he receives it, he opens a case and states..

Hello, the bag was described precisely as: "18 inches wide, 12 inches tall, 7 inches deep". In fact it is 17 inches wide and 11.25 inches tall and therefor not usable for the purpose for which I purchased it - to carry a video projector 17.5 inches wide by 11.5" tall. I wish to return the item for a full refund, including my shipping cost BOTH WAYS since the size, which is critical to my needs, was incorrectly stated. Please advise.

I replied..

This Samsonite Luggage Travel bag, is not meant to store and protect a Video Projector properly. You can buy specific cases to properly store Video Projectors. The items measurements on a soft case will vary on how you measure this item. This item was describe describe properly and it is a very nice item. I do have a 14 day return policy, you can return the item at your own cost and I will refund $11.99, when I receive the item back. Thank you!

He Replied

Regardless of my chosen use for the bag, the measurable dimensions provided are significantly erroneous. The bag is not "soft", it has a measurable structure and you provided specific dimensions. Had you measured/stated them correctly I would not be requesting a full refund - including shipping.

I replied

They are not different, You are concerned about inner dimensions of one compartment on the bag. Most luggage bags people are concerned about max exterior dimensions so it will be able to pass for carry-on (Including strap) length. The dimension I provided are correct. The proper way to identify on ebay is total exterior dimensions with all attachments. (Straps and handle and exterior pockets) You assumed, the inner dimensions of one compartment on this case with rounded corners will fit a rigid projector, something this case is not made for. That's on you, you should of clarified this with me and asked if the large interior compartment will hold your projector, because you were purchasing this for abnormal usage. Again I will honor my 14 day return policy and provide you $11.99, when I receive the item back.

He Replied.

Umm, no. The case is one inch less tall and wide than stated. I only mentioned my intended use to emphasize the need for you, the seller, to provide accurate dimensions. I believe you are obligated, at the very least, to refund my purchase price and original shipping cost. If not acceptable than we will rely on arbitration.

I replied

The dimensions provided were accurate. We will have to rely on arbitration at this point. Ebay will review the case. I honestly feel the measurements provided are accurate according to the FAA luggage sizing method which the standard. I also feel you have buyers remorse, because you didnt ask if the internal compartment would fit your item. There are many pockets and compartments to this item. I stated the overall dimensions.

He replied.

The bag - external dimension - is 17" wide NOT 18" as described. BTW, I recommend that to avoid confusion in the future you simply add the phrase "measurements provided are accurate according to the FAA luggage sizing method" which would either satisfy the purchaser or prompt further inquiry. But I understood 18" to mean 18" period.

I replied.

The external measurement is 18, I measured the luggage. When you go to an airport your luggage needs to drop into the pre-defined cutout and if it doesn't fit. You must check that luggage. That means all clips and accessories have to be measured. Also It does matter that you purchased this for an un-orthodox use for a video projector. If you were purchasing this item for it's intended use. You would of been happy and felt like you got a tremendous deal on the item, in which you did. When you buy something for un-conventional means that the item was not designed for and the listing stated one size (for the combines length and wide of all the pockets, compartment and accessories). You know that your specific use requirements to house a valuable Video Projector in, you should of checked with me to see if the internal compartment would house this item. You didn't check, you didn't do you due diligence. Have I received a question, I would of advise against it and not sold it to you.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
Now, I'm sure this will go to eBay arbitration where they will make a ruling on the case. I'm not sure which way they will decide, but I feel I'm in the right, or I would not be arguing.

I feel this person is just trying to scam free luggage because he and I both know it doesn't pay for me to pay him for the item back...

What are your thoughts and who do you think ebay will side with in this instance?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:42:13 AM »
Yeah, I think he's just hoping you'll just issue a refund and let him keep the item, rather than paying the return shipping.

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
Due to my experiences in a case like this, eBay will side with him, but require him to return the bag at his own cost and then require you to refund the total amount he paid purchase and shipping charges. Now if the $10 shipping charge is the amount it actually cost to ship the item to him, I would assume that would be the amount he would have to pay to ship it back so on his end it would only be a refund of the $11.99 really so he would lose $10 in shipping and so would you, eBay would refund your FVF and Paypal would refund transaction fees, so the only winner here is Ding Ding Ding USPS!!! Got $20 for shipping an item back and forth :93:

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »
If that's how ebay decides.

I will either be out 11.99 + Shipping (if I say keep it)

If I want it back I will be out the same - minus final value fees and have the luggage back.

We know which one I'm going to choose.. :)

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:20 AM »
There have been 2 items in the past that I have sold that have been returned to me and in the end I have resold for more to a 2nd buyer. The first one, I had an item that I did not have the means to test, I sold it with a gaurantee to work or return for full refund, the buyer received it it did not work and therfore returned it. I then relisted it as untested for parts or repair and it sold for about $20 more than it did the first time. covered all my original shipping and fees that I lost from the first sell. The second item I also did not have a way to test so I sold it as used. In the description I said untested, not gauranteed to work. The buyer received it and it didn't work therefore he complained, I refused to accept return because it said as-is in listing. He opened a case eBay decided in his favor and forced refund after he returned the item. I then relisted it and instead of used I selected "Not working for parts or repair" and ended up reseliing it for about $5 more than the first time. Second buyer was more than happy with it. Lesson here I learned is that if you don't test it, it is best to select the eBay provided condition "Not working for parts or repair" as I believe I lost the case because it does not matter what the description stated, the conditon I chose was "used" and eBay defines that as a working item.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »
If he's really a scammer, he might not want to pay the shipping to return the item and just decide to keep it.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »
What concerns me is this, eBay sides with him, he returns it.  I receive the item and re-measure it and it's 18 inches.  Then what recourse do I have? He provided no proof with a ruler to prove my statement incorrect.

If I was making the complaint, that would be the first thing I would do, is provide proof that the measurement is off.

He hasn't offered that as proof, which makes me think he's full of ****.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 01:16:34 PM »
The guy probably won't even return the item if eBay rules he has to pay shipping.  But either way, your time is more valuable than this. I wouldn't spend several hours going back and forth this guy, eBay & PayPal over twenty bucks.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:55:39 PM »
The guy probably won't even return the item if eBay rules he has to pay shipping.  But either way, your time is more valuable than this. I wouldn't spend several hours going back and forth this guy, eBay & PayPal over twenty bucks.

What else am I going to do all day at work?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 03:57:06 PM »
Then, after he receives it, he opens a case and states..

I replied..

Well I'm usually all for a seller's argument because buyers tend to read into an ad what they want to see instead of what is really there. In this case the buyer is 100% in the right. What he wanted to use the luggage for is of no consequence, you gave measurements and those measurement you posted (according to the buyer) are not accurate. Therefore the item is not as described. IMO you owe him a refund and are responsible for the shipping cost both ways.

Anytime I include measurements I use the word "approximately" or "roughly" just to avoid the very problem you just had.

Offline Travis

• View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »
What else am I going to do all day at work?

Right!

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
Well I'm usually all for a seller's argument because buyers tend to read into an ad what they want to see instead of what is really there. In this case the buyer is 100% in the right. What he wanted to use the luggage for is of no consequence, you gave measurements and those measurement you posted (according to the buyer) are not accurate. Therefore the item is not as described. IMO you owe him a refund and are responsible for the shipping cost both ways.

Anytime I include measurements I use the word "approximately" or "roughly" just to avoid the very problem you just had.

Why would you side with the buyer, I say it's 18 inches he says its 17 inches.. Do you have the luggage to prove who is right or wrong. Why would you take his word over mine? He needs to offer facts to back up his statement, I need a photograph of it being measured properly, if he want's to dispute my measurements.

So far he just babbling, until he shows proof..

Offline alloro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 03:02:49 AM »
Why would you side with the buyer, I say it's 18 inches he says its 17 inches..

Because he's telling you that he needed a case that was 18" wide and the one you sent is only 17". All that matters here is that you cannot prove the case is the dimensions you listed them to be.

It is safe to assume that he would not be complaining to you if the case was indeed 18" wide. All he has to do is file an item not as described dispute with eBay. Then, unless YOU can prove the dimensions are exactly as you listed them he will win the dispute, you will eventually have to fully refund him 100% the cost of the item, plus shipping both ways upon the return of the case. This is not a winnable dispute for you. Your best move here is to take it back, refund him the cost and the shipping for both ways, and hope the buyer leaves it at that. If you do not, eBay will force you to do it anyway and the buyer will most likely leave you negative feedback. You are the seller and you have an unsatisfied buyer. Whether or not you think it's fair, it's up to you to make things right with the buyer. That's both the downside and the responsibility of being a seller.

xx
Strange EBAY dispute resolution

Started by dbr831

11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2016, 12:15:22 AM
by EdwardThirlwall
xx
eBay buyer Protection!!!!!

Started by Jumpinomega

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 07:07:57 PM
by Jumpinomega
xx
Nice "Feedback" from an eBay Buyer

Started by MovieMan

12 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM
by MovieMan
xx
Has anyone ever had to hire an attorney over a dispute with a storage facility?

Started by Travis

7 Replies
Last post December 17, 2013, 11:18:20 PM
by MovieMan