Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
do you tag items at your garage sale?
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:32 AM »
I was just curious if you guys put tags on items at your garage sale?  normally I do tags but was thinking about not doing tags and just saying make me an offer on what you like

I was thinking this for several reasons. A. maybe someone will offer me more money than I would have taken item 4. B. sheer laziness is save me the trouble of tagging. C. most people tend to haggle with you even if an item is tagged so why not skip the tags in just a go anyways.

I'm hoping to do a lot of bulk deals and bundling of items so thought this made more sense

just curious if anyone has had garage sales both ways in which worked out better

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • MSN Messenger - jrossmakesmoney@gmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: do you tag items at your garage sale?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:51:21 PM »
I have done it both ways. And honestly things went better when I didnt use tags.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:08:42 PM »
In my experience it's not worth the time and effort to tag my garage sale items. I guess it depends on your inventory and your sales strategy. I sell everything dirt cheap. 90% of what I sell goes for $5 or less, so it does'nt make sense to spends hours stamping "$2", "$1" "$0.50", etc.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
Just a different point of view from a buyer's side. Unless it is something I REALLY want, I never ask the price and I will just just go on to the next flea market booth or the next garage sale. HOWEVER, if it has a price on it, and I think it is a bargain, I may buy it whether I really want or need the item. It's just the way I am wired.
It clearly isn't worth the time to individually mark hundreds of small items but if you group items together on one table or in one area and put a sign up with the price of those items (everythings $1 or $2 or whatever) you will save the time and hassle yet still get people like me to look at your stuff.
Just a suggestion.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:22 PM »
I' m planning my 1st yardsale with all storage unit merchandise next month. I will put individual prices on most everything, except the .50 clothes table and a .25 table. I have always done this wth yardsales of personal items and rarely have to haggle over price. Seems like a lot more work to have to talk with every customer about prices than sitting in the garage pricing while having a beer or two. Westagbargains has a good point, some people are very shy and may walk away instead of buying if they must talk to you. I had a lot of Mexican and Arab women at my last yardsale that bought items and didn't hardly make eye contact. The bottom line is whatever works for you, do it. I know some of you will have many hundreds of items, so I understand your point of view, but I will see how mine goes and report the results. Great topic, thanks rfr.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »
I always price items.People still haggle.I think people feel more comfortable if it has a price.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:07 PM »
You guys make a good point about pricing. Lots of Mexicans come to my garage sales so price tags will help with any language barrier but more importantly like you said some people are shy or for whatever reason just wont ask.

Also when you see a cheap price it makes you buy crap you dont need. I can't walk through the dollar store without loading up a cart with a bunch of crap I totally dont need but when its only a buck you just tend to buy. Maybe I'll do like a few of you have suggested and set up tables this table is $1, this is $5, this is 0.50 etc.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:50 PM »
You guys make a good point about pricing. Lots of Mexicans come to my garage sales so price tags will help with any language barrier but more importantly like you said some people are shy or for whatever reason just wont ask.

Also when you see a cheap price it makes you buy crap you dont need. I can't walk through the dollar store without loading up a cart with a bunch of crap I totally dont need but when its only a buck you just tend to buy. Maybe I'll do like a few of you have suggested and set up tables this table is $1, this is $5, this is 0.50 etc.

Lol, the Mexicans that come through mine ask even if the price is written on the merchandise.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:36 AM »
Good points about people who won't ask if the merchandise isn't labeled and just move on to another table or sale.

Another reason I don't label items is because the Mexicans are so good at haggling compared to the natural born Americans. When a Latin American asks about a price I automatically raise it by $1 to $2 so I can haggle down to the orginal price I would have sold it to an American who dose'nt haggle.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »
Lol CopiaVita - I just said the same type thing about haggeling in a different thread.  Of course I normally will try to get something cheaper at a garage sale or flea market.  Is just in my blood even if I'm 100% American.

The few times I've done a sale in the past, be it either yard sale or flea market I normally use both strats.  I have my large or expensive items market with a tag or dot.  My shelves with paperback books and such I just have a sign on the end saying $.50 a book or 5 for $2.  Cloths, bulk items, etc. all go on a table.  I never tag everything I had for sale.  Just some things.

Offline jrossjr79

• In it to Win it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »
Good points about people who won't ask if the merchandise isn't labeled and just move on to another table or sale.

Another reason I don't label items is because the Mexicans are so good at haggling compared to the natural born Americans. When a Latin American asks about a price I automatically raise it by $1 to $2 so I can haggle down to the orginal price I would have sold it to an American who dose'nt haggle.

That is a good point, but to even avoid that, I just upmark all my merchandise a few dollars to leave me wiggle room for anyone that tries to haggle the price on me.

Offline Leota

• View Profile
    • Donna's Resale Attic
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
We had our yard sale this weekend and we tagged most items but they still asked how much. We did pretty good but it was 103 on Friday and 105 on Saturday so it was really tough after a few hours. Your brain starts shutting down a little.  ???  We are still learning about the yard sale and flea market buyers mind-set and it doesn't matter if it's brand new designer pants, 5 bucks was too much.. :D Anyway, Saturday we just tossed the clothes that were for sale on sheets and they picked through them. We told them, prices for jeans, tops and t-shirts and the more they bought the better the deal. Worked pretty well. Most of the larger items had tags, tires, couch, etc. and they sold very well. At least now we know we don't have to tag smaller items and that saves us lots of time.  :o

xx
Garage sale / Yard sale

Started by Mr Andersen

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 09:37:10 PM
by Drew
xx
Another garage sale

Started by terrorbow

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2011, 11:15:29 AM
by rulesforrebels
xx
First Garage Sale

Started by Drew

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 07:38:03 PM
by Drew
xx
How often do you have a yard/garage sale?

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 08:50:20 AM
by craiglstauction