Storage Auctions

Throw it all in boxes,and let them dig for it

Offline mj74

Throw it all in boxes,and let them dig for it
« on: October 08, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »
I have had yard sales,where I have put everything out on tables,and in category's,and hardly sold anything.
When I put everything in categories,but in bins or boxes,and just let people dig through the stuff,I sell lots of stuff,and make lots of money.

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
Re: Throw it all in boxes,and let them dig for it
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
This is a favorite topic for me as I planned on yardsales as my main way to sell all the smalls and clothes I get. I have posted my thoughts and methods before but am curious about a couple things. Size of town? Type of advertising? How do you price? I'm always looking for new ideas from successful yardsales regardless of method, so if you get a chance to post some specifics I would greatly appreciate it.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:36:22 PM »
I have always just posted signs.I try to have them when something else in the community is happening to drive foot traffic.I always price everthing because some people don't like to ask prices.If I don't want to lower my price I always say I am selling for my Brother in Law or some other relative.Third party works.If it looks like someone really likes something I pull it and when they come back I say I am holding it for someone.If you want it now its yours.Seems to work.

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:47:02 PM »
this is my strategy, mainly because of laziness on my part but i do think its the best way to go. first off people want dirt cheap prices expect to be getting paid in 0.50 pennies.

My attitude if people want to pay such dirt cheap prices they can work for their finds digging through boxes.

With storage auctions you have so many little odds and ends even if you do have tables you can only fit so much and still have it easy to sort through and if you have dishes and wne glasses and stuff expect people to break them.

At the very most if you have several large tables maybe do a $1 everything on this table organization but for the most part I throw out tubs and let people dig. It's generalyl barely worth your time evne taking a day to sit outside and wait for people so why also make yourself work for three days before the sale labeling an organizing

Offline Millertime

• I Love Capitalism
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »
If your traffic was 150 - 200 shoppers for a combined Fri/Sat sale 7:00-2:00, would you change your approach? With that kind of traffic digging through boxes may be a little tough.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
this is my strategy, mainly because of laziness on my part but i do think its the best way to go. first off people want dirt cheap prices expect to be getting paid in 0.50 pennies.

My attitude if people want to pay such dirt cheap prices they can work for their finds digging through boxes.

With storage auctions you have so many little odds and ends even if you do have tables you can only fit so much and still have it easy to sort through and if you have dishes and wne glasses and stuff expect people to break them.

At the very most if you have several large tables maybe do a $1 everything on this table organization but for the most part I throw out tubs and let people dig. It's generalyl barely worth your time evne taking a day to sit outside and wait for people so why also make yourself work for three days before the sale labeling an organizing

I don't think it is laziness, I think it is working smarter and valueing your time. I have done something similar, but I thought different people like different buying experiences so I have had some boxes for people to dig through, some stuff nicely displayed without prices so they can haggle, some stuff priced in case they are to shy to ask what the price is, etc. I think you may be on to something, if 80% of what is sold goes for $2 or less, why spend time sorting and displaying (except for breakables) just through it in boxes and let them do the work. I might try everything unsorted in boxes and see what kind of sales I generate (as long as I don't expect to get more than a couple dollars for it).

Offline MovieMan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:31:07 AM »
A fair number of sellers at my flea do this as well. But, as several have said, you have to be sure it's just the low end stuff (and not breakable) that is in the boxes.  Usually, I have already passed this stuff on (either sold in bulk to another seller, or gave to Goodwill). I have enough better stuff for my tables (at the flea) and not enough bulk space to use up one of my three parking spaces with 10 or so boxes (and room for buyers to move around).

In a garage sale setting the idea of having about 3 levels of selling really makes sense. At the end of the day putting a "free" label on some boxes would clear the remainders out too.

Offline ChefJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
I just had a garage sale/yard sale on Saturday.  it was a community thing, and honestly my first one.  I had a clothes rack that people could rifle through, anything for $.50 a couple of boxes labeled $.50 and one labeled $1.00.  Also had 2 small tables setup for canisters and picture frames etc.  these we labeled "as set" or by the piece.  when we started getting bare spots I ran over to our unit and refilled.
At the end of the day we loaded up bags for the goodwill, and packed the rest away for the spring garage sale.
Overall we made about 200 bucks.  thats a lot of product at 50 and 1.00

Offline rulesforrebels

• FreeStorageAuctionLists.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - rulesforrebels
    • View Profile
    • Free Storage Auction Lists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:56 PM »
i think people do kinda like to dig. i pretty much let people dig manily because im lazy though. i get all mexicans paying me 0.50 cents in pennies for items so its not worth my time to set up things nicely. i throw totes out and people can dig im not spending any more time on garage sales than necessary

Offline money4nothing

• I'm hidding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 08:18:57 AM »
Do pretty good at yard sales.

I do the dig box @ .50 each or whole box $5.00. makes it walk away and I get what I want for it. Works best on misc. craft stuff or kitchen stuff.

Will be doing the kids clothes in totes by size, will see how that works.

xx
At what point do you throw it away???

Started by ChefJ

19 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 05:15:06 AM
by Travis
xx
do you throw out 5$ incremental bids?

Started by BigBizzz

8 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 10:22:05 PM
by BigBizzz
xx
A little extra money from something you'd probably throw away

Started by Travis

11 Replies
Last post December 24, 2019, 02:27:54 AM
by clarkembers
xx
Throw in a bottle of bourbon with this and it will be a REAL winner !

Started by MovieMan

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 10:26:46 AM
by bwd111