Storage Auctions

A little extra money from something you'd probably throw away

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
The other day I needed to find a power adapter for something I'm reselling. I turned to eBay, hoping that I would find one under $10. No luck. It turned out to be somewhat rare. There was only one for sale and it was $40. Ouch! It got me thinking about how may adapters & chargers we storage unit buyers come across in storage units. You guys might want to look those adapters up before dismissing them. You might be able to make a little extra money from something you'd normally just throw away.

Does anyone already do this?

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: A little extra money from something you'd probably throw away
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
You guys might want to look those adapters up before dismissing them. You might be able to make a little extra money from something you'd normally just throw away.

You might also want to post what adapter you need before dropping $40 on one.

Offline luke

• View Profile
    • Online Email Extractor
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
What people fail to realize most power adapters are X Voltage and X Amps - You don't have to buy a specific make/model - As long as you have the right voltage/amps/tip on it.

Normally, I have a universal adapter to test items out.

Offline MikeMilez

• Author: "Storage Auction Authority"
    • View Profile
    • MikeMilez.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 02:50:38 PM »
What people fail to realize most power adapters are X Voltage and X Amps - You don't have to buy a specific make/model - As long as you have the right voltage/amps/tip on it.

Normally, I have a universal adapter to test items out.

And that's how you make money. Having just a little bit more knowledge than the buyer puts you at an advantage. If you have an adapter to a product, and nobody else is selling it on eBay, you can pretty much ask whatever you want. Buyers buy for emotional reasons, not for logical reasons. If they go on eBay, looking for a power plug for their old Beta machine, and you have it, then they will think, "this is the only person who has it.. if I don't get it now, I may never get it".  Therefore, you can charge $40 for it, even if they could easily buy some other brand of plug that is the exact same.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:04:53 PM »
.... Therefore, you can charge $40 for it, even if they could easily buy some other brand of plug that is the exact same.
Voltage and power requirements can be matched, it's these @#%* manufactures that come up with the most oddball plug imaginable despite the fact there are dozens of common, easily obtainable plugs already on the market.

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 09:29:14 AM »
Voltage and power requirements can be matched, it's these @#%* manufactures that come up with the most oddball plug imaginable despite the fact there are dozens of common, easily obtainable plugs already on the market.

Exactly. The power adapter I was looking for had a special connection and an unusual voltage/amp combination. Manufacturers do this on purpose. Once they patent these connections, they have a monopoly on the replacement parts.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
I'm sure that everything in the storage unit has its buyer. It's just a matter of time and finding the right channels to sell them at! And I don't know about you, but all that work for small reward doesn't really appeal to me!

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 12:02:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I think I actually have a couple of these.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 12:49:13 AM »
There are indeed many different kinds of adaptors, but it is not everyday that we simply get rid of them. Well, not for me at least. I usually keep most of the electrical accessories I find lying around whether at home or in storage. Even the last piece of cable would find me tying it up together with the existing bundle that I already have tied up in a rubber band.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:23:40 AM »
The other day I needed to find a power adapter for something I'm reselling. I turned to eBay, hoping that I would find one under $10. No luck. It turned out to be somewhat rare. There was only one for sale and it was $40. Ouch! It got me thinking about how may adapters & chargers we storage unit buyers come across in storage units. You guys might want to look those adapters up before dismissing them. You might be able to make a little extra money from something you'd normally just throw away.

Does anyone already do this?
Have been doing this for ages. I've never thrown away any stuff because I know, as much worthless and useless a stuff might be for me, there are buyers waiting to buy it. eBay and garage sales are my best friends.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:12:04 AM »
Have been doing this for ages. I've never thrown away any stuff because I know, as much worthless and useless a stuff might be for me, there are buyers waiting to buy it. eBay and garage sales are my best friends.

I'll have to learn from you. I've been giving away/throwing away stuff that I do not need. But it's never too late. I'll try eBay for such stuff and share my experiences here.

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2019, 02:27:54 AM »
Hi Thanks for the tip.
I think I actually have a couple of these.

xx
Extra ! Extra ! Read all about it !

Started by MovieMan

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 09:04:27 PM
by Travis
xx
At what point do you throw it away???

Started by ChefJ

19 Replies
Last post September 22, 2011, 05:15:06 AM
by Travis