Storage Auctions

Anyone bought a really bad unit lately?

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« on: December 08, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
Against my better judgement, I bought a unit with several newer filing cabinets. Even though they retail for about $200 each, they take forever to sell and you usually have to give them away for next to nothing. $400 down the drain.

Offline alloro

• View Profile
Re: Anyone bought a really bad unit lately?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »

I've never bought a bad unit, but I'm overly picky to begin with.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:45 AM »
Yeah, I bought a unit about a month ago or so for $30, total crapshoot, 90%+ to the dump or thrift store. I did end up selling about $100 out of it so wasn't a total loss, but not worth the effort of cleaning it out, luckily it was only a 10x10 about a third full. Same day though I bought a 8x5 for $50 that I have sold about$400 out of so far and still have at least my best guess $400-500 still to sell out of it. Took only 1 hour to clean it out and no garbage so really made up for the other one.

Offline Cobia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 08:05:29 PM »
Sometimes a good unit can be a bad unit. Bought a unit about a month ago and spent quite a bit of money. It looked pretty interesting so I thought I would take a chance. It turned out to have some cool stuff and some average stuff and low and behold, junk as well. The average stuff and the junk won't get me anywhere near break even so I've got to rely on the cool stuff. The bad news is it's specialty items with a slim market and to really make a profit on the unit I have to ask a fairly high dollar amount meaning this stuff might be sitting around the warehouse for 6 months to a year. I could rock it out cheap but I would be leaving a lot of money on the table and possibly losing any significant profit margin. Had the unit been as good in the middle and back as the front I could afford to sell this stuff cheap and let somebody else hold the product and let them make some money, but as the storage auction gods would have it, all the best stuff was up front and in plane view.  :'(

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »
Hey guys love the forum I'm new to s.a.f.  but I recently won a storage auction and was shocked when I went the next morning to get the items the lock was changed. The guy in the office told me that they both people that previous owners came and pay the bill after the auction was done got my receipt, is this at all possible please help. >:(

Offline Travis

• Every storage unit he buys yields treasure.
    • View Profile
    • AuctionsTX.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »
Hey guys love the forum I'm new to s.a.f.  but I recently won a storage auction and was shocked when I went the next morning to get the items the lock was changed. The guy in the office told me that they both people that previous owners came and pay the bill after the auction was done got my receipt, is this at all possible please help. >:(

Hey, welcome to the forum. What they did is totally illegal. Once the auctioneer says sold, it's legally your property. Even more so after you paid and got a receipt. You can have the police come and assist you with getting your property back. You have a receipt. If the tenant has already removed the property, you can sue the facility for the amount you paid, expenses and your estimated profit.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
There is at least one auctioneer in the area here who has bidders sign a contract agreeing to sell back the unit for what they paid in the event of a dispute.  Before you go get all legal make sure you're in the right.  For me, the right thing to do is to get my money back and move on to the next one.  There's plenty more where that one came from...

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:45 PM »
This is a good example of why you should be ready to move stuff immediately after the auction. It doesn't give anyone the ability to come back and take it away.

I think if this happened to me I would insist that the facility give me my money back plus some for time and fuel.

xx
first unit bought

Started by terrorbow

4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 09:40:04 PM
by monkeybusiness
xx
Just bought my first unit

Started by steelerfan

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2011, 09:30:26 PM
by Drew